| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Konvision 2720QD - Bad Patch Reads from i1Display Pro

Author J_Coy
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 29 Apr 2023 14:56 
Hi everyone, it's me again, with another issue that's probably user error, but here we go:

EDIT: I also tried all of this on v1507 of ColourSpace with "i1 Display Pro OEM" selected as the active probe.

I ran into an issue recently with my Konvision 2720QD--the monitor had been properly set up and calibrated successfully with ColourSpace earlier in the year, but last week, out of nowhere, my monitor stopped displaying an image over SDI (all ports). I went through an extensive troubleshooting to find that it could still receive audio via SDI (through a cinema camera) but no picture. I reached out to Konvision about the issue, and they had me go through the multi-stage full reset and upgrade of the monitor's firmware.

It worked. Great. Got picture again from Resolve through my Decklink card.

Now here's where it gets sticky--I'm trying to re-calibrate the monitor, using all of my usual settings in ColourSpace CAL (the latest version: 1.0.0.1629), and I'm having a similar issue that I had before, which is that my i1Display Pro seems to be missing every other patch. I made sure to set the "Extra Delay" option to .75 like I usually do, and yet it still happens.

Here's where it gets stranger--this only happens when I select "Cube based" as the Characterisation Mode. All other modes seem to capture all patches.

Another strange quirk--when I connect directly to the Konvision monitor and use its TPG for profiling, I can't seem to control any picture settings (brightness, contrast, backlight, etc) at the same time, like I'm locked out. The unity bypass LUT seems to upload correctly though to USER1.

Yet another strange quirk--when I set up Resolve as the pattern generator, I get control over the monitor's settings again, but out of Resolve, I seem to be getting a default white point of 48 nits...as if I'm doing P3 2.6 sort of workflow. I have to crank the monitor's brightness/contrast settings to the max to hit 100 nit when I set up the pattern generator this way.

I have attached photos of my ColourSpace and Konvision settings.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 30 Apr 2023 09:38 
What TPG are you using when you have the issue?
It looks like Resolve is being used, and is not playing back the patches cleanly.
The monitor controls not being available when you connect ColourSpace directly is, I think (I can't check at the moment) expected.

The non-cube profiles will 'appear' to work, as the patches are sequential.
The Cube is Anisometric by default.
The non-cube patches will still be wrong, but not look as obviously as bad, unless you really know how to read the graphs.

You can easily watch the patches in the ColourSpace GUI pop-out window, while simultaneously watching the patches on the monitor via Resolve. You will easily see any such Resolve replay issues.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author J_Coy
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 30 Apr 2023 13:56 
Hi Steve, thanks for the response.

Regarding Resolve, yes, I did try to use Resolve's TPG, but I also used the Konvision monitor for TPG as well. I seem to get the same results.

I do see that the i1D3 probe's light indicates the capture of each patch (enable visual feedback LED checked ON), but while using the Konvision's internal TPG, I can't tell if it's capturing all of the data. On past calibrations, I was able to see each patch capture populate in real-time on my graphs, but here it seems like a lot of the patches are missing. I've attached some stills from a recent 729-patch cube characterization. I suppose I could run a cube profile, make a 3D LUT, and upload to the monitor and see if it works?

Author J_Coy
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 30 Apr 2023 14:53 
Update: I generated a cube LUT from the profile I performed, uploaded it to the monitor in USER1 slot, and played around in Resolve for a bit. It feels like the monitor is back to where it should be, and I'm going to verify the LUT's accuracy next. Then I'll do some probe matching and perform a much larger cube profile of the monitor.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 1 May 2023 07:54 
It looks like you do not have display of all points enabled in Graph Options...
You need to have 'Others' enabled too.

Edit to add: Yes, I see in your first set of screen grabs you do not have 'Others' enabled!

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author J_Coy
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 1 May 2023 10:58 
Ah...whoops. Knew I had to have had something disabled, hadn't thought to check the graph options just yet. Didn't even notice.

All makes sense now. Did a large cube profile, made LUT, uploaded, verified...all seems good! Thanks Steve.

Author J_Coy
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 4 May 2023 03:55 
Strange update:

I was feeling good about the calibration workflow (and the results), so I decided to do a large (21) characterization of the monitor and make my LUT from that. The process went as expected, made the LUT, uploaded it to USER1 slot (it did the "loading error" thing that the Light Illusion Konvision guide mentions about the 4K Konvision monitors), I verified the LUT, and the results were excellent.

However, this is where things are getting weird--while connecting the Konvision monitor to ColourSpace directly, I get the appropriate levels of black/white and color that I would expect to see...but when I run Resolve as the TPG, my peak white hits about 56 nits, none of the low-end gray scale shows up (super crushed), and then when I simply view clips on my timeline in Resolve via my decklink card, the image is totally crushed and overly saturated. This is AFTER "uploading" my LUT to the monitor.

When I try to verify the LUT through ColourSpace with Resolve as the TPG, I seem to be getting the native gamut of the monitor rather than rec709, and still crushed in terms of luminance...pretty confused.

I reached out to Konvision about this, but I figured it was worth posting here as well just in case someone has an idea if I did something wrong or if there is an obvious technical issue happening that I'm not catching.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 4 May 2023 06:57 
We would need to see the original profile, the LUT, and the various verification profiles...
But, it sounds like Resolve is incorrectly set vs. the monitor settings - Legal vs. Full Range for example.
This is a common setup error.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author J_Coy
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 4 May 2023 12:34 
Unfortunately, all of my Timeline format, Video Monitoring, and Color Management settings are the same that I have been using for years now with no issues. I've attached some images here.

Author J_Coy
ZRO
#10 | Posted: 4 May 2023 12:55 
What do you know, I went into the Factory menu of the monitor and reset all of the values there back to factory defaults, and presto, the image popped back into a normal rec709 image. Going to verify the calibration again, but it looks like that fixed the issue.

The whole process for upgrading the firmware when I had to do it was a little confusing regarding where to set all of those values...

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Konvision 2720QD - Bad Patch Reads from i1Display Pro

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0