DeviceControl User Guide
DeviceControl is a browser based control program that enables different test images and more to be displayed via the Raspberry Pi PGenerator, as well as direct 1D and 3D LUT management for LG WOLEDs.
The following instructions are for the use of DeviceControl with LightSpace CMS, specifically for direct 1D and 3D LUT management for LG WOLEDs, including 2019 C9/E9/W9/W9S/Z9/R9B8, 2018 B8/C8/E8/G8/W8, and 2017 B7/C7/E7/G7/W7 models with LG Studio Gen 1 Firmware.
DeviceControl is a very powerful program, with many capabilities beyond managing PGenerator, such as the direct control of many Panasonic TVs, as well as Lumagen LUT Boxes, and is well worth spending time to understand.
And with future developments adding greater capabilities, DeviceControl will become a key component for any Home Cinema enthusiast!
The most recent addition is the direct loading of 1D and 3D LUTs generated via LightSpace into compatible LG TVs.
The following user information focuses on using DeviceControl with LightSpace for 1D & 3D LUT calibration of LG's WOLED TVs, including 2019 C9/E9/W9/W9S/Z9/R9B8, 2018 B8/C8/E8/G8/W8, and 2017 B7/C7/E7/G7/W7 models with LG Studio Gen 1 Firmware.
This is just a basic overview guide. For detailed information please see the displaycalibrations.com website.
Note: The LG Template for DeviceControl will need to be requested via displaycalibrations.com. You will need to provide your purchased LightSpace license code to receive access the DeviceControl LG Template.
First, run DeviceControl by selecting DeviceControl form the Programs menu to run the CMD window, and then open a Web Browser, and browse to http://localhost:81. This will display DeviceControl within the browser window.
- Create a New Device of type Generic Websocket
- Register as a Cloud User
- Select the LG Template from within DeviceControl
- Configure the LG TV for LightSpace profiling
(Display pre-setup for calibration)
With the LG TV correctly configured for pre-calibration, LightSpace can be used as normal for the calibration process, initially for the 1D LUT, followed by the 3D LUT. This is by necessity a two-step process, with the 1D LUT being created first, followed by the 3D LUT.
For additional information on display pre-calibration set-up see Display Calibration - Initial Set-up.
Due to issues with LG's image processing pipeline it can be preferable to leave the 1D LUT set to its factory default, or potentially set to Null/Unity, or a technical gamma and colour temperature correction LUT, and just use the 3D LUT for all calibration.
(Leaving the 1D LUT set to the factory default is the suggested option.)
If both 1D and 3D LUTs are used, any change in the 1D LUT will require the 3D LUT to be re-done. If the 3D LUT is changed, the 1D LUT need not be re-done.
The following steps outline the workflow for LG calibration using LightSpace and DeviceControl.
More in-depth user info can also be found on the displaycalibrations.com website, as well as to request access to the LG Template for DeviceControl.
The Light Illusion User Forums are the best place to discuss any thoughts and findings with other LG TV owners.
LightSpace LG WOLED 1D & 3D LUT Calibration
First, set the existing 1D and 3D LUT to Null/Unity.
Next, calibrate grey scale via the 1D LUT.
- Profile the TV using a Quick Profile - Gray Only or Primary Only being the obvious choices
- Generate a LUT within LightSpace and export as a DeviceControl 1D LUT
(There are presently two different 1D LUT formats for DeviceControl LG - see below)
- Upload the 1D LUT into the LG TV
- Re-profile the LG TV with an Augment (Grey Only Large) Quick Profile
- Add the Grey Only Large profile to the original Gray Only or Primary Only profile, as Augmented Data
- Generate a new 1D LUT using the Augmented Data profile
- Export the new 1D LUT, and upload the new 1D LUT into the LG TV via DeviceControl
The use of Augment is suggested as the 1D LUT implementation within the LG has some issues.
See the Error! page of the website (Signal Path section), and compare the verification of the first 1D LUT as an Active LUT within LightSpace with a verification of the same 1D LUT when loaded into the LG TV. The results will show the underlying issue.
Note: With 1D LUTs it is entirely possible to re-profile with the 1D LUT uploaded and active, generate another 1D LUT, and concatenate with the first LUT, and re-upload. This concatenation process can be performed as many times as needed.
(You are looking at Gray Scale differences only, as while the generated LUT within LightSpace is 3D, the exported LUT is 1D, and so has no gamut control.)
The next step is to calibrate the colour volume with a 3D LUT.
- With the final 'Augmented' 1D LUT loaded into the LG TV re-profile with a large volumetric cube based profile sequence
Ideally, a 21^3 should be used to deal with the non-additive nature of the WOLED
- Generate a LUT within LightSpace and export as a DeviceControl 3D LUT
- Upload the 3D LUT into the LG TV
- If desired, re-profile the LG TV with a Grey Only Large (Augment) Quick Profile
- Add the Augment profile to the 21^3 profile
- Generate a new 3D LUT using the Augmented Data profile
- Export the new 3D LUT, and upload the new 3D LUT into the LG TV
The LG TV should now be calibrated to the best of its inherent capabilities.
Additional Technical & Support Info.
Additional Software Required: LightSpace CMS
LightSpace CMS Demo: Downloads