| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

BMD - Decklink Extreme 3D

Author aprilliasky
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 8 Feb 2013 22:29 
Dear Forumers!
Please help me with my questions. I'm planing to buy a Lightspace CMS but have doubts about the features I can use.

I have a Davinci Resolve 9 workstation. Monitoring is through a Decklink Extreme 3D card. I have a very nice Panasonic plasma for grading.

Unfortunatelly, the decklink card is not supporting 3D LUT's. Here is what BMD support wrote me about that:

"The output LUTs is only a feature of some of our older Decklink cards, and so it is greyed out for cards that do not support it. Cards like the legacy Decklink HD Extreme 1 and 2 cards have this feature but our current Decklink cards do not."

This was a very expensive card for me, and I'm planing to keep it. In that case, am I still able to use 3D Lut's? If I load them internally on Resolve 9 would it give me the same result?

I'm simply asking, because these cards legalize the outgoing signal from Resolve to the settings given in the "video monitoring" tab.
What product solutions would I need to use 3D Luts for this system, what calibration method? I would like to grade in Rec.709.

Thank you!
George

Author Nepomuk
ZRO
#2 | Posted: 9 Feb 2013 04:46 
Hey George, check out Steve's thread about plasmas. You might not need a 3d lut.

Author aprilliasky
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:24 
Thank you! I know about this plasma problem, but still I need to calibrate my system. I'm also planning to get a new screen for work. But I need to know what else do I need for Lightspace. A Davio maybe?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:40 
Hi George,

Yep, indeed you can use the same LUT in the Resolve, as an output LUT. It will work perfectly.
With a Plasma you will really need to use full 3D Cube based profiling to overcome the Plasmas ABL.
(And the results of a 3D Cube profile are always going to be better than a Quick Profile regardless of the display)
But, a Quick Porfil will give better results than no calibration, so you could start with that and upgrade later...

But, I would recommend the Full LightSpace CMS and a probe - something like the i1 Display Pro.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author aprilliasky
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:46 
I found this thread. Is this true with the DPX sequence?

"You don't need a Davio and you don't need an HD link - perfect REC 709 with just a consumer plasma

- get a good probe - i1Display is GREAT and cheap
- get a very good consumer plamsa
- Get Calman DIY to adjust your monitor as best you can (better to have a good starting point right at the display). You will find that with most displays the best you can get is "OK" no matter how long you fuss, and there will still be parts of the greyscale that are visibly off, but it won't be as obnoxiously color-pushed as out of the box.
- Buy Lightspace. Run it's special DPX sequence in Resolve - it will automatically create a 3D LUT for you - a 3D lut has thousands of "calibration points" that set not just gamma and white balance but gamut correctly - I'm talking a Delta E of zero across the board.
- Load the resulting 3D Lut into Resolve as a display LUT.

Voila! Your monitor will now be absolute obcessive-compulsibe standard-meeting perfect while working in resolve (would also be in AE or any soft that can use display LUTs.

Yes Lightspace is not cheap - but how much is actually offering your clients a professional grading room worth to you? How much is having off monitor color going to cost you in the long run? To me, these are scary considerations.

Also, a box is operating on a 10 bit color stream at best, whereas the LUT within Davinci is pushing around vectors in 32 bit space. "

Author aprilliasky
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 9 Feb 2013 11:56 
Steve

Thank you Steve! Probably I'll go for that. I just want to read all the knowledge base on this site. I never did anything like this before. I always called a technician, but I'm not satisfied with them. So I decided to go for the DIY basis.

I guess I need the full version because of "Display Profiling & Profile Management" right?
Also, do I need an education like the International Colorist Academy: Display Calibration? Or I should be okay without it?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#7 | Posted: 9 Feb 2013 12:26 
The Creative Cow thread is not totally accurate - you do NOT need Calman at all - that will be a waste of money.

The DPX sequence is referring to 'DIP' calibration mode, all part of LightSpace CMS.

But the basic calibration concept is correct.

No 'education' is required - we provide full support.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Michael S
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 11 Feb 2013 14:19 
Steve

Wouldn't he want to use "display LUT' in Resolve and not "Output LUT" as he won't want the LUT rendered into the film at the end.

MIchael.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#9 | Posted: 11 Feb 2013 14:42 
Sorry - totally correct!

Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 BMD - Decklink Extreme 3D

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 1 [ Steve ]
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0