| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

3D LUTs for the home enthusiast

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »

Author Steve

INF
Male
#91 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 13:47 
First, the 'profile' you have done is not a profile - you are just using the 'virtual probe'... you will need a supported probe to perform a real profile, with LS licensed. With LS on licensed no probe will connect at all, and as I say, we do not support the sim probes.
(Should we? Are they actually god enough???)

With the direct RS232 link the Lumagen upload will work - if it isn't working you will get an error message.
When you select 'Upload' you will see a window with a Null Cube' option - that is for resetting the LUT in the Lumagen.
With that NOT selected the active LUT within LightSpace will upload.

Make a film print emulation LUT to test (Source 'Vision', Target Rec709). Then Upload that.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author mike_n
ZRO
#92 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 13:52 
Harry:
My Lumagen connectivity:
I have a RS232 PCI card in my HTPC, and the XS3D is permanently connected as "COM4". IMHO that must be working with every solution.

So I tried File -> Upload, but nothing happened (I expected any control or message window).
I closed LS and check'd my Radiance using Calman -> was working fine.

I dug up my Targus PA088E USB-to-RS232 adapter (Philips FTDI chip set), and first tested it with Calman.
The XS connection was properly again (now COM3).
I've closed Calman / run LS - still no success.

What Ì'm doing wrong?

As I said before, there will be no success message currently, I talked to Steve about it, this is (the minimum) needed I fully agree. Now the only way to currently acknowledge whether a LUT is uploaded is to watch the video output change on the screen - and obviously this will only be visible IF (!) the LUT introduces a visible change... so I always put up a grey scale pattern through the Mini and when I upload a LUT I watch the greyscale change to verify the upload has actually taken place...

there are 2 example test LUT's on the LS website, uploading any of the 2 will introduce such a drastic color change, it'll be obvious that the upload was successful...

regarding your USB-to-Serial adapter, as I said before, I have one that is working with (all of) the Lumagen tools and Calman and it is NOT working with LS, I had to get another one that works with LS... if I remember correctly, it appears it is recognizing the Mini, the Upload menu will pop up (if a LUT is open), but when u try to upload to the Mini nothing will happen and then there is an error message a while later...

Author Harry
ZRO
#93 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 15:18 
Steve:
First, the 'profile' you have done is not a profile - you are just using the 'virtual probe'

Ok, thanks for explaining that (again).
Because I saw a 3D cube with new arranged + plausible spheres (they are not in a row as they are next to File -> New), I thought, I have a new LUT (first I had a screenshot link in my post, but for that I need to have 10 messages).

Steve:
we do not support the sim probes.(Should we? Are they actually god enough???)

Steve, please don't only look from the POV of production mode.
As I wrote before, I'm about to test LS.
I have several probes laying around (not only cheap ones).
Unfortunately they are all not supported by LS (or locked).
I won't buy a new probe only to figure out, if LS is usable to me.
So from this point of use I would say "yes", because why do you only support it at the trial, and at the next step, going deeper into the SW with the 3 days licence, the sim probe is suddenly not available?
Hard to understand from my POV.

But back to the LUT "upload" - I'm one step further!

First:
mike_n:
there are 2 example test LUT's on the LS website, uploading any of the 2 will introduce such a drastic color change, it'll be obvious that the upload was successful

The test method you mentioned was also in my mind.
Thanks for the examples suggestion - have it found/downloaded and imported HD_Video_to_Print.mlc into LS.
Now I should have a valid LUT to upload.

Then I found an other USB2RS232 adapter; it's a Prolific.
Now at least a communication window does appear next to upload!

At Select the device type the RadianceMini3D is given (that's the only one).
COM port can be selected from 1...20.
My one is COM6

I click on Upload.
After 1 ... 2s "Failed to detect Radiance on COM6" does appear.
Question: When this upload window appears, can I say, the adapter is compatible with LS?
If so, does LS check the model name? My one is the XS3D. Is it supported?

Regards,
Harry

Author mike_n
ZRO
#94 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 15:23 
Harry:
I click on Upload.
After 1 ... 2s "Failed to detect Radiance on COM6" does appear.
Question: When this upload window appears, can I say, the adapter is compatible with LS?
If so, does LS check the model name? My one is the XS3D. Is it supported?

that's the exact message I got and u need a USB-to-Serial adapater that works with LS... this one works:

http://www.amazon.com/ATEN-Serial-Adapter-Drivers-UC232A/dp/B00005117F/ref=cm_cr_pr_p roduct_top

I don't have a XS3D but I would assume the upload functionality is the same for all of them, the only differences in these models are the i/o ports AFAIK, all OSD functionality and the internal chip is the same...

Author Steve

INF
Male
#95 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 16:06 
We are looking at the USB/Serial adapter issue - I've purchased one that won't work, so we should get to the bottom of this, and add additional messages when upload completes, etc..

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Harry
ZRO
#96 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 16:29 
That would be good.
IMHO at least any "real" RS232 interface PCI card should work.

What settings (baudrate ...) for the Lumagen connection are needed?
I would try to set them manually in the device manager (Win7 x64).

Author Harry
ZRO
#97 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 16:56 
At least for the Radiance I found the parameters at Lumagens support page -> TechTip 11
8 data bits
no parity
0 stop bits
no flow control

Author Nudge
ZRO
#98 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 20:28 
I have tested two RS232-USB-Adapter with LS and my Lumagen Radiance XE:

1. FTDI chipset
2. Prolific chipset

Only the adapter with the Prolific chipset is working, but I had to restart my PC, so LS detected it.

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#99 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 20:42 
mike_n:
u need to connect the Lumagen to the PC - as Steve mentioned u need a USB-to-Serial adapter that WORKS WITH LS - I had one that worked fine with the Lumagen tools and other solutions, but did not work with LS... so if that's the case with u, u need to buy one that works with LS...

I can confirm that i have used the Keyspan USA-19HS with my Lumagen Mini-3D and works without problems.

I had problems with FTDI VCP Adaptor previously.

Author Harry
ZRO
#100 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 20:58 
Ted, Nudge:
What's your Radiance RS232 settings of Echo / Delimiters / Report mode changes?
(OSD -> Other -> I/O Setup -> RS232 Setup)

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#101 | Posted: 29 Dec 2012 23:12 
Harry:
Ted, Nudge:What's your Radiance RS232 settings of Echo / Delimiters / Report mode changes?(OSD -> Other -> I/O Setup -> RS232 Setup)

I had the same question at past, these are from Steve's reply.

Echo MUST be on
MENU ® Other ® I/O Setup® RS-232 Setup® Echo® (Off, Off with Status, On)

Power on/off messages MUST be disabled
MENU ® Other ® OnOff Setup® (On Message, Off Message)

Reporting MUST be disabled
MENU ® Other ® I/O Setup® RS-232 Setup®Report mode changes® (Off, On)

RS232 delimiters MUST be set off
MENU ® Other ® I/O Setup® RS-232 Setup® Delimiters® (Off, On, On with Ack/Nack)

Author Harry
ZRO
#102 | Posted: 30 Dec 2012 00:05 
Thank's Ted!
That's conform to my XS settings.

But ... Yeaaah ... I got it working !!!

A Keyspan USA19HS USB-RS232 adapter does it well!
Got it years ago with some other Colorfacts equipment and never have used it ... till today
Thank God for this flash of inspiration while having a Pizza for the daily latenight dinner!

Short summary about my tested adapter equipment using Win7 x64 + i7 ASUS P6T WS Pro board (USB 2.0):

Absolutly not working with LightSpace V6.1.0.1533 was:
-> Targus PAE088E with FTDI chipset (MCT+Belkin have the same one); VID 0711 / PID 0230
-> Manhatten PCI RS232 card model 158213 (MosChip 9865 chipset); VID 9710 / DEV 9865
Upload message: "Failed to detect Radiance on COMx"

Not fully working was:
-> Prolific (model unknown, got it some time shipped from China); VID 067B / PID 2303
With this one NULL Cube (CMS resetting) is working properly.
Uploading the LUT first was looking good (image colour has been changed), but right after this LS got freezed.

The Keyspan does it all properly + repeatable.

@Steve: Maybe a bug in LS?
The upload window does only appear in view mode Colour Bar Viewer and 1D LUT Viewer.
It does NOT appear while using the 3D Cube Graphic Viewer!

AND: The LUT I've converted from the profile using the simulation probe does also work!

BR,
Harry

Author Steve

INF
Male
#103 | Posted: 30 Dec 2012 14:23 
Harry, great news...
We don't yet understand why some converters work, and others don't, but we now have a selection of converters and will get to the bottom of things!

We will also add more feedback on the LUT upload... and we hadn;t seen the bug with the 3D LUT view mode, so will fix that!

Thanks for the feedback!

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Nudge
ZRO
#104 | Posted: 30 Dec 2012 14:24 
Harry:
Not fully working was:
-> Prolific (model unknown, got it some time shipped from China); VID 067B / PID 2303
With this one NULL Cube (CMS resetting) is working properly.
Uploading the LUT first was looking good (image colour has been changed), but right after this LS got freezed.

Strange: I am using an adapter with Prolific chipset. LS didn't freeze ...

Steve: Maybe a bug in LS?
The upload window does only appear in view mode Colour Bar Viewer and 1D LUT Viewer.
It does NOT appear while using the 3D Cube Graphic Viewer!

I tried the uploading while the 3D-cube was displayed ... no problem !

Author Harry
ZRO
#105 | Posted: 30 Dec 2012 16:41 
Steve, you've got mail.

Nudge, so I think it's a HW related issue. Right now I've tested it on my office PC (AMD, Win XP x64). Same issue.
The only similarity to my HTPC: Both have a nVidia graphic card. Maybe that's the reason ...

Page  Page 7 of 8:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 3D LUTs for the home enthusiast

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0