| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

ColourSpace ZRO - Recommended settings as starting point

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#1 | Posted: 21 Jul 2021 20:36 

ColourSpace ZRO has an online interactive manual continuously updated (before each software release) for the users always to have up-to-date instructions.

However, I wanted to post a quick setting recommendation as a starting point for all users.

Settings

For SDR calibration, select REC.709 as Target colorspace, for software to use REC.709 primaries, REC.709 white point (D65), and 2.4 gamma for the color engine calculations and plotting the charts.

Stabilization of 0.350 sec is beneficial for OLED, Plasma, or CRT users. ColourSpace will display a black frame for 0.350 before displaying a regular pattern.

You can disable Stabilization with Projector, LCD, LED; it will not help with SDR calibration.

However, you can enable stabilization for HDR10 measurements of LCD/LED/OLED to help the panel thermally.

If you are using PGenerator, Area 10 will generate a 10% Window pattern; it's a good size as default for OLED/Plasma.

For Panasonic Plasma, use 6.5% area.

For Panasonic Plasma BT300, use 2% area.

For LCD without a dynamic backlight, 100% can be used.

For LCD/LED with local dimming, you can't disable it during calibration; you can use 50% area but change the background color to RGB 235.235.235 (100% White).

For Projector users, 10-18% area is OK.

Patchscale LEGAL if you perform manual calibration when TV/projector calibration controls work in legal video range (16-235).

Sony LCD/OLEDs TVs with Contrast 100 (which clips SuperWhite, the calibration controls work for Video Legal (16-235) while with Contrast 90 (allow Super-White) they work for Extended (16-255) range.

Profile Luma Auto, tick when you want from ColourSpace to continuously update the targets for black/white from these measurements.

You can untick during 2-Point RGB balance calibration since you will be interested just to fix RGB balance because 2-Point CalibrationCalibration can't fix gamma errors.

You can untick if you need specific nits also during your Peak White calibration and write with the keyboard your desired nit levels (max).

If you want to verify Calibration, keep Auto ticked the Profile Luma.

Generally, this setting, in most cases, needs to be ticked.

Use Patch resolution 8-bit since PGenerator can generate 8-bit patterns; Ted's patchlists have 8-bit triplets also.

Graph Options

dE formula 2000 for SDR.

dE formula ITP for HDR (while it's not an industry-standard yet, you can use dE2000 also),

Tick all Filters to be able to see to the CIE charts all measurement points.

delta-E filter/radio buttons can be used to isolate dE presentation.

Overlay Tangents to show the distance of the measured point from the target point.

Probe Matching Active enabled if you are using meter profiling.

Hardware Options

For PGenerator users, select Network Server, set calibration patches 'Automatic', and then you will see your PGenerator in the 'Connected Client' area.

Users of Ted's Calibration Disk without PGenerator, can ignore this screen.

Manual Measure

For Ted's calibration disk users, they can load the provided patchlists:

After loading a patchlist, for example the 11-Point Grayscale, it will look like this:

Tick Auto-Advance if you are using PGenerator, for ColourSpace to read all patches of the patchlist after clicking 'measure'.

Disable Auto-Advance when you are using Ted's Media Files / Blu-Ray, or when you use PGenerator, and you want to measure only the selected patch.

When the patchscale setting does not match the loaded patchset levels, you will see a red-ish background for the patches out of the pre-selected patchscale:

Legal patchscale needs a legal patchlist (16-235 RGB triplets).

Extended patchscale needs an extended patchlist (16-255 RGB triplets).

Probe Options

The 'Extra Delay Time' 0.5 sec is the recommended setting for PGenerator users for ColourSpace to wait 0.5 sec with the patch displayed on the screen before taking a measurement.

0.5 sec works as a safe setting to prevent network delay, temp image retention with Plasma/OLED, for the panel backlight to 'stabilize' before reading it.

For users of Ted's disk with blu-ray/media files, since they will change the patch manually, they can use 0 extra delay and just click to measure each patch after it's been displayed on their screen.

i1Display PRO-based colorimeters are available with A-02 or B-02 firmware.

You can see that detail to the connected probe area; as you can see, I have connected a B-02 FW.

B-02 FW can use AIO mode and Intelligent Integrator; it's the best option for i1Display PRO users.

For B-02 FW, the standard integration time, which provides some decent results with various panel techs, is 0.75 sec with intelligent integrator 1.

For OLED users, Integration time 0.25 sec with intelligent integrator 2, can provide a speed improvement, then you want to perform a faster 1000p verification.

However, 0.75 sec with intelligent integrator 1 is the standard recommendation for OLED users.

It will provide a good balance between speed/repeatability.

For A-02 FW or for ColorMunki/i1Display Studio users, use BURST mode 1.5 sec integration time and tick average low light.

The AIO mode with B-02 FW can reduce the measuring capability to the very low end.

Some projectors/plasmas with very deep black, when AIO mode is used, they may not be able to measure their black level.

Users of B-02, with JVC projectors, for example, can try to take the same measurements with BURST mode 1.5 sec to see if they can get a valid black level reading.

If they can get a black reading with BURST 1.5 sec integration time, then they can use this setting with intelligent integrator 1 for the remaining calibration.

If BURST mode is not able to measure black level, then use AIO mode with intelligent integrator 1.

A-02 FW is not compatible with Intelligent Integrator, so users will have to use the Average Low Light.

The Calibration Settings has a drop-down menu where the user can select a spectral correction table for a specific display tech.

For LG WRGB OLED panel-based TVs, select the WRGB OLED.

For Sony Broadcast OLED monitors, select RGB OLED.

When you have a spectrophotometer to create a meter correction table, then select the Generic CMF.

Genetic CMF will load only the meter factory calibration without any additional display-tech-specific spectral correction.

For i1PRO users, enable Average Low Light only and use the same extra delay you used for the i1Display PRO also.

Author RollsRoyce
ZRO
#2 | Posted: 22 Jul 2021 01:35 
Excellent, Steve. Thank you!

Author Steve

INF
Male
#3 | Posted: 23 Jul 2021 07:48 
The above is from Ted, not me...

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author RollsRoyce
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 23 Jul 2021 11:37 
Oops! That's what I get for going online before I've had coffee...

Author xnappo
ZRO
Male
#5 | Posted: 7 Jun 2022 16:25 
This is a SUPER helpful post, and and adding this info or a link to it in the main ZRO page would be useful I think.
https://www.lightillusion.com/colourspace_zro_guide.html

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 8 Jun 2022 09:49 
xnappo
We do not provide such 'suggested settings' within the main website pages, as the actual settings required will vary depending on the display technology, environment, the probe being used, and more.
That is why such suggestions are here, within the User Forums, and are posted by users themselves.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Narkose

ZRO
Male
#7 | Posted: 3 Mar 2023 19:26 
Hi! I am new here in the forum, and bring directly 2 problems with me.

I have had Colourspace zro + PGenerator since December. The only thing I can manage is a 2 point calibration which I could have done with HCFR. I have a Samsung GQ65QN95B and I just can't get a 20 point calibration. (I'm 2 clicks away from buying Calman, which I don't like because the instructions make it seem like CS is easy to use for manual calibration. I know the disadvantages of Calman, if they are true. With all the instructions and videos, there must be a useful step-by-step guide to calibrating HDR. So far I assume that it is not possible with CS at all. When I follow a tutorial, I end up with 50 or more taps open. This is really a problem with the links, too left, too left, sorry if I come across as a bit annoyed. But by now I must have tried all the combinations in CS, and nothing works in terms of 20 Point and HDR. I have read extremely much cross, because some explanation always goes to some left I have absolutely roller coaster in the head from reading around and clicking.

Second problem (but I could live with it)
Not even the connection via router in the LAN. Only via usb a to usb c works, although putty, kodi etc via lan over router works without problems. Firewall in Windows 11 and router is switched off for test purposes, and CS is entered in the windows FW). But maybe I will use the other contribution here in the forum.

I use ColourSpace ZRO on Windows 11
Raspberry PI 400 via USB A to USB C cable (because lan is not possible)
and 20p Sony Mapped 10b for Samsung Neo QLED
(CCDIS3PL) Calibrite ColorChecker Display Plus Rev B
10 Bit Legal, Extended, Full. testet
Stabilisation (Seconds) on/off
delta - E 2000/ITP
Filters all on/off and only Grayscale tested
Patch scale tested from 10% to 100%.

What am I OBSERVING

I would be really happy if someone would make a real step by step tutorial that also fits ColourSpace ZRO. The pictures and videos do not match CS ZRO or is there a version?

Really sorry, normally I'm a really nice guy, but I'm really desperate.

I'm only reporting now because I'm worried that I'll be asked questions in technical terms that I can't answer properly due to a lack of knowledge, even though I've read a lot.

Translated with w~~w~~w.DeepL.c~~o~~m/Translator (free version)

Only network server
Only network server
PGenerator LAN
PGenerator LAN
The CSV files I have 1
The CSV files I have 1
The CSV files I have 2
The CSV files I have 2
Samsung GQ65QB95B, Denon AVR-X 3400H, ColourSpace ZRO+PGenerator 1.5 auf Raspberry Pi® 400, HDMI-Glasfaserkabel Playstation 5, XBOX Series X.

HIFI calibrated with laser rangefinder, decibel meter and Audyssey Multi EQ Editor. Unfortunately, I have to use a translation tool, [color=red]so sorry if something cannot be understood correctly[/color].

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#8 | Posted: 4 Mar 2023 17:12 
Hi,

First of all, you are talking about HDR calibration, the HDR calibration with multipoint controls is not working with your TV.

Sometimes many problems come from difficulties coming with display processing design.

Samsung, as a TV brand, is always problematic regarding calibration.

You have to focus on performing an SDR calibration to be able to understand the additional difficulties of the HDR calibration.

As a general rule, the manual calibration procedure of SDR needs those steps:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/colourspace-zro-low-cost-manual-calibration-software-thread.3175441/post-61584855

The Sony patchsets are compatible only with Sony TVs with X1 processors.

For Samsung, you can use the regular 21-Point patchlist. (5-10-15% etc. steps)

The grayscale patches align with TV controls when you have a specific contrast setting; I haven't examined the latest models to find out more details, but if you will try the SDR 21-Point Grayscale and you have problems, it's available a method to find out the 'exact' code levels.

If you want to find out the 'exact' 10-bit code levels of each grayscale control of your TV, you can use that method:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/sony-calibration-overview-for-enthusiasts.3231568/post-61675953

Have you enhanced your license to be able to inject patterns using ColourSpace's GUI?

If not, see: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/teds-lightspace-cms-calibration-disk.1454804/post-61850665

Another source can be an AVSForum thread related to your TV model, to ask specific questions about how other users of the same TV are using.

The white patch background with a 50% or 75% patch area can also help in case your TV mode has aggressive dimming that you can't disable during calibration.

At the bottom of the first post in AVSForum, you can find a lot of links with other functions of ZRO:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/colourspace-zro-low-cost-manual-calibration-software-thread.3175441/post-60308715

If you need some help, you can send me the screenshots of your probe/settings/hardware/graph windows via email:

https://displaycalibrations.com/contact_us.html

...or screenshots of the measurements while you are trying to find out the best pre-calibration settings.

Author Narkose

ZRO
Male
#9 | Posted: 4 Mar 2023 19:24 
Hi! Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have the licence extension. Honestly, I didn't expect you to answer me after such a bad-tempered posting. (As I said, I'm actually really nice, and friendly. ) I took the Sony patches because that's what I was told by support before I bought it! But I will go through everything again today I managed to calibrate BT.1886 with 21p patches for the first time!? But only 30-70%. The rest of the controls had no effect. But I hope you'll forgive my first appearance, that's not normally my style.

With all best regards

Translated with DeepL
Samsung GQ65QB95B, Denon AVR-X 3400H, ColourSpace ZRO+PGenerator 1.5 auf Raspberry Pi® 400, HDMI-Glasfaserkabel Playstation 5, XBOX Series X.

HIFI calibrated with laser rangefinder, decibel meter and Audyssey Multi EQ Editor. Unfortunately, I have to use a translation tool, [color=red]so sorry if something cannot be understood correctly[/color].

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0