| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Windows LUT using dwm_lut (ledoge)

Author skubasam
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 29 Oct 2022 17:42 
I just came across this tool that supposedly allows you to use a lut for windows desktop. Heres the link to it. https://github.com/ledoge/dwm_lut
I have not tried it yet and I havent seen anything on these forums ever talking about it. Has anyone tried this yet?

Author stuart_p
ZRO
#2 | Posted: 30 Oct 2022 00:12 
This works extremely well in the main. It doesn't work properly with a hybrid gpu setup such as my Dell laptop with Intel for the laptop screen and nvidia for the hdmi. i.e. you cannot have two separate luts working to calibrate both screens. Apparently if you are using the same gpu to drive different screens it does work but I don't have this setup to test. In the hybrid mode it works on the primary screen only. You can also get windows to load the app at login and apply the lut and it's very easy to enable and disable the lut from the task bar menu.
With Colourspace you can get very good results even with appalling bad displays such my Dell G7 using map space or fit space (G7 comes no where near sRGB/709) and exporting a eecolor 65^3 (need a large profile with poor dislays). It uses tetrahedral interpolation as well.
Using this makes all the video players, Resolve viewers all identical.

Author skubasam
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 31 Oct 2022 19:09 
stuart_p
Tried it on on two of my laptops with amazing results! The only downside I came across was on one of my laptops that I use for very long battery life, has a very weak processor and with the lut applied some YouTube videos were a bit choppy. They would clean up instantly when disabled. Luckily what I use it for is car tuning and not watching videos.

Overall I'm super impressed with the results. I'm still on the fence about doing it to my main computer/projector because it gets used for gaming a lot. I'm sure the stutter I found on the laptop would translate to lower frames per second on it.

Author howellsaaron
ZRO
Male
#4 | Posted: 8 Nov 2022 06:57 
stuart_p
Hi Stuart,

I'm just trying to get a bit better feel for this, I want to calibrate my Macbook running windows 10 pro via bootcamp and ColourSpace to p3 d65 2.2 (Practically it's native colourspace). Can the application to your knowledge allow you to upload any SDR LUT or does it have to be sRGB/Rec709. I'm not doing any colour critical work so having the P3 space will not affect anything too much.

Thanks.

Aaron.

Author stuart_p
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 9 Nov 2022 01:01 
Hi Aaron. It works by hooking into Desktop Window Manager (DWM), so if that is running when you're in Win then it should work. Try it and let us know. But a lut is a lut is a lut. It's just a bunch of numbers to take an input to obtain an output. There is no sRGB/REC709 as such. Colourspace will profile your display so the input to the lut is known, and then CSpace will use that input to figure out the output P3 D65 G2.2 in your case, or Rec709 in most. The only thing you need to ensure is the format of the lut and CSpace does pretty well all, including either a cube or the eecolor format. This is the important part. So you can profile, create the lut, load it into the app and then verify all using CSpace on your Mac. If it has DWM running then I presume it would work. But P3 D65 gamma 2.2? CSpace will show you the capability of your display. If your display is poor you may need to use large profiles and the lut tools such as map space or fit space etc.

All this is presuming MAC colorsync is not active when in Windows! You will want to ensure the VCGT are aslo null before profiling.

Author howellsaaron
ZRO
Male
#6 | Posted: 9 Nov 2022 14:09 
stuart_p
Hi Stuart,
Thanks for your information. I have carried out a 21^3 profile using ColourSpace as the TPG, i1 Pro 2, and i1 Display Pro. Since my Macbook only has brightness control I wasn't able to do any other precalibration preparation except the brightness. Exported eecolour 65^3 from ColourSpace and into the application. There is only 1 point that I'm pretty dissapointed in as it gave me an over 5 dE2000. I have attached the pre and post calibration verification report.

Thanks.

Aaron.

Macbook16 P3 D65 2.2 Verify.pdf Attached file:
Verification Report

Author stuart_p
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 11 Nov 2022 01:59 
Hi Aaron. It's not uncommon for this to happen when the lut is trying to correct large native blue white points to D65 and also correct the actual blue primary. Even if you could use a high resolution 1D lut in conjunction with the 3D lut it's probably unlikely it would do much. In reality the dE00 is far from perfect as a metric for colour differences, pretty good in most cases but not all. The error would be hard to notice as it's just the first stage coming out of black for the blue primary and in practice not an issue. It's a Macbook, not a FSI or EIZO and the results look extremely good for a Macbook display. Average dE00 of 0.24 is as good as it gets really, especially when using a i1D3. Colourspace has done a very good job.

Kind Regards
Stuart

Author howellsaaron
ZRO
Male
#8 | Posted: 11 Nov 2022 02:17 
stuart_p

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your additional information and feedback. Makes a lot of sense.

Thanks.

Aaron.

Author howellsaaron
ZRO
Male
#9 | Posted: 21 Nov 2022 11:45 
Hi All,

I just completed another 21^3 profile full range 8 bit. This time I was targeting SRGB ~100nits. Exported a eecolor 65^3 Lut loaded it into DwmLutGUI ran a 8 bit full range 10^3 verification. These are my results.

Thanks.

Aaron.

Macbook Pro 16 SRGB 21-11-20.pdf Attached file:
Macbook Pro 16 SRGB 21-11-20.pdf

Macbook Pro 16 21^3.pdf Attached file:
Macbook Pro 16 21^3.pdf

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Windows LUT using dwm_lut (ledoge)

Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0