| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

ADL-Measurement for ColourSpace (AddOn)

Author Omardris
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 30 Dec 2021 16:27 
Among projector users there are always hot discussions about ON/Off contrast, ANSI contrast or in-picture contrast.
In contrast to self-luminous displays (TVs), projectors suffer from stray light that occurs in the light path and cannot be avoided completely.
Therefore, projectiondream.com determined the Average Display Luminance (ADL) of various films a few years ago and published a set of measurement images that can be used to measure stray light in the light path.
http://projectiondream.com/en/movie-brightness-adl-contrast-measurements/
So this is not calibration, but measuring projectors and of course it is not a scientific method, but more fun for real nerds.
So I created a small program that uses the remote service of ColourSpace to control the sensor and do the actual measurement. This allows to use all sensors that ColourSpace supports.
The measurement images are stored on a Raspberry Pi3 or Pi4 with PGenerator installed with Ted's Calibration Disk. Supported resolutions are 1920 x 1080 (Pi3) and 3840 x 2160 (Pi4) (16:9).
Here are some printscreens:

ADL4CS

PGenerator

Access is via the Addons page of the website

However, I explicitly point out that ADL measurements can be made on a TV or monitor, but are useless there.
Thank you very much.
Peter

Author Matthias
ZRO
Male
#2 | Posted: 31 Jan 2022 19:42 
I have no projector, but I like the idea of this add-on.

Author Omardris
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 17 Feb 2022 16:23 
Hi,
since I have so much fun tinkering with the little Raspberry and the ingenious PGenerator software, I have finished an executable version of ADL4CS despite the low demand. Yes I know - never say never.

A major reason for continuing to work on the tool was getting permission from Stacey Spears to use the layout of the ADL patterns from the "Spears & Munsil UHD HDR Benchmark Disk".

The installation and use of the tool has been greatly simplified because the ADL measurement images are now generated directly from the PGenerator rather than having to copy image files first.
However, it is still possible for dedicated users to create their own ADL measurement images and use them with the tool.
The tool is free of charge, but still copy-protected by a license file.

PGenerator

Peter

Author Omardris
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 6 Mar 2022 17:57 
Hi,
there is a new ADL4CS version 1.5.4 available via the Addons page, which also supports PGenerator version 1.3 Beta 1/2.

Peter

Author Omardris
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 17 Mar 2022 12:57 
Hi,
here is an example of an ADL4CS measurement with a PGenerator Pi4 and K10A plus diffuser towards the lens of a projector JVC-NZ9 (BT709, D65, Laser low):

ADL4CS and JVC-NZ9

You can see that the JVC-NZ9 shows very good performance in ADL measurement.
Peter

Author Omardris
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 17 Aug 2022 16:11 
Hi,
even if this has nothing to do with ColourSpace anymore, because CS does not support pure luxmeters, I would like to point out that this ADL measurement is now also available for the luxmeters Mavolux 5032 and the Minolta T10A, because they have a USB interface.
ADL for Mavolux - Sample
Peter

Author Omardris
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 7 Dec 2022 17:55 
Hi,
a very fresh version 2 of ADL4CS.
Version 2 is specifically for the Raspberry P4 with the PGenerator 1.3 and higher. It includes a new mask for entering the PGenerator settings which have changed with PGen 1.3:

[imgs=ADL4CS2]ADL4CS Version 2[/imgs]

At the moment I limited the selection of the resolutions to the different frequencies at 1920x1080 and 3840x2160, because all resolutions of my JVC NZ9 were too confusing for me.

The YCbCr422 lim setting automatically forces 10Bit.
RGB full and YCbCr444 lim are always set to 8 bit first for security reasons and then can be increased to 10bit.

The new settings for the PGenerator can be tested without a license.
Since I only have the NZ9 as a true 4k device, it would be interesting to see if it works in other setups.

Of course I realize that these settings are completely unimportant and unnecessary for an ADL measurement and everything would be fine with RGB full and 1080p60, but it was just fun to honor the PGen team's much work by then using their results.
Peter

Author Omardris
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 11 Dec 2022 16:52 
Hi,
there was a bug with the 1 pixel black patch with 10bit and the delay time for reading the resolutions had to be increased, because the modern devices have up to 50 modes.
So now the ADL4CS version 2.0.1 is available.
Peter

Author Omardris
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 17 Jan 2023 17:20 
Hi,
all the best for the new year.
In the meantime version 3 of ADL4CS is ready.

This version supports all PGenerator versions 1.1 - 1.4 and offers different setup options depending on the rPi-PGen combination.
However, PGen version 1.2 on the P3 and version 1.4 on the P4 is recommended.

Additionally a function for uploading and displaying images was added to manage own files independent from DeviceControl.

ADL4CS2

More for fun there is also access to the images of the HCFR directory that is on the PGenerator by default.

ADL4CS2

Peter

Author Omardris
ZRO
#10 | Posted: 12 Feb 2023 10:18 
Current information:
ADL4CS is also compatible with the new PGenerator version 1.5

ADL4CS2
Peter

Author Omardris
ZRO
#11 | Posted: 23 Oct 2023 16:40 
Current information:
ADL4CS is also compatible with the new PGenerator version 1.6
Peter

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 ADL-Measurement for ColourSpace (AddOn)

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0