| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Tips and Tricks Light Illusion Forums / Tips and Tricks /  

How to export display caracterization to an icc profile?

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next »

Author erazortt
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 8 Jan 2022 14:19 
I want to export just the display characterization to an icc/icm profile. I do not want to have any conversion backed into it - just the display capabilities.
How do I do that with ColourSpace? I think SpaceMan does not help, since this generates ICC profiles from LUT, but I do not want a LUT, I just want the diplay capabilities.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 9 Jan 2022 16:07 
ColourSpace HTL has no ICC capabilities, as per the website information.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author erazortt
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 9 Jan 2022 18:34 
And SpaceMan? Is it not able to load ColourSpace LUTs and export ICC?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 9 Jan 2022 18:37 
SpaceMan generates ICCs as per the User Guide, converting 3D LUTs into matching ICCs.

See: https://www.lightillusion.com/spaceman_manual.html

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author erazortt
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 9 Jan 2022 18:39 
And I would like to say that I don't understand that you don't suggest a way forward solve an issue for a paying customer.
I must say that I don't feel very welcome here.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 9 Jan 2022 18:43 
I'm sorry to say I don't understand what you are trying to do.

The best I am able to do therefore, is explain what SpaceMan is designed to do. Which is what the user guide defines.

Sorry if they is not enough, but it is the best I can do, as I really do not understand your requirement.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Matthias
ZRO
Male
#7 | Posted: 14 Jan 2022 03:26 
I guess, what Erazortt is asking for is some kind of guidance or click-by-click-tutorial to transform the ColorSpace display characterisation into a handy ICC profile for his external monitor.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 14 Jan 2022 09:18 
Sorry, yes.
That's what I don't understand...
Nowhere do we make any suggestion that 'profile data' can be inserted into an ICC.

I guess you could use the Remote Control and Secondary Execution tools to do that?
Or the data from a profile could be extracted and pasted into an ICC via SpaceMan..?
But what format that data would need to be for use in an ICC, we have no idea.

As I say, I have no idea what is attempting to be done, as the concept has nothing to do with the tools we provide.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Matthias
ZRO
Male
#9 | Posted: 14 Jan 2022 10:05 
If I got the SpaceMan guidance correctly, the software can help to create ICC profiles, which can be imported into Software like Photoshop or DaVinci Resolve, but it is not intended to create ICC files, which can be assigned to the monitor on Windows/MacOS driver level...

...I got this misunderstanding, when buying the license for SpaceMan.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#10 | Posted: 14 Jan 2022 10:51 
Windows cannot have an OS wide ICC for colour management.
Theoretically, Mac can, but there are a lot of other issues that make that difficult to use in reality.
See: https://www.lightillusion.com/what_is_wrong_with_iccs.html

SpaceMan can generate ICCs for both Look Management, and display calibration, within ICC aware programs.
In both cases the ICC has a 3D LUT embedded into it.

"For normal use within the likes of Photoshop for Look Management via the generation of an ICC profile that matches an original 3D LUT, the 'Input+BToA' Tag option is the standard one to use. For display calibration the 'Display' option is the correct one to use.
(Input profiles actually only require an AToB Tag, but some graphics systems struggle with such profiles, hence the Input+BToA Tag option.)"

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Matthias
ZRO
Male
#11 | Posted: 14 Jan 2022 11:40 
When Windows is not capable of handling system wide gamut files / display profiles, why do display manufacturers of advanced and professional computer displays provide ICC files on their website and an installation is inside Windows possible?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#12 | Posted: 14 Jan 2022 12:13 
Matthias:
When Windows is not capable of handling system wide gamut files / display profiles, why do display manufacturers of advanced and professional computer displays provide ICC files on their website and an installation is inside Windows possible?

Yeah - bad, isn't it!

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Matthias
ZRO
Male
#13 | Posted: 14 Jan 2022 13:31 
So, installing these manufacturers' profiles or creating ICC profiles with consumer friendly software (like the software Xrite includes in the consumer version of the i1 Pro colorimeter) is just a waist of time...?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#14 | Posted: 14 Jan 2022 13:34 
Please see the above link on ICCs - that tries to explain things.
ICCs are made to work with ICC aware software.
And that very often fails.
How often do different browsers, or different graphics programs, show images differently, for example?

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Matthias
ZRO
Male
#15 | Posted: 14 Jan 2022 14:49 
When reading about this, we should think about providing test patterns inside a web browser for display measurement to be sure, the clothes we order on online-shopping are matching the color our eyes are seeing...

Page  Page 1 of 2:  1  2  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Tips and Tricks Light Illusion Forums / Tips and Tricks /
 How to export display caracterization to an icc profile?

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0