| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Colour Calibration for JVC DLA X70R

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »

Author Soumya
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 30 Oct 2012 08:32 
For past few days we are trying to calibrate our projector JVC DLA X70R for colour space rec709 without much success. We are using the quick profile of lightspace CMS. Despite the software showing around 94% correct gamut, the result when projected on screen is far from acceptable levels, with blacks getting severely crushed and very strong red clipping. Any tips or experiences to share?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 30 Oct 2012 08:42 
Sounds like you have not pre-set the black/white levels with the Cal Images, and checked the colour temp for underlying accuracy and white clipping?
This is all explained in the various user pages of the Light Illusion website.

Also, the JVC is a very non-linear device, so Quick Profiling will probably not work - you will probably need a full 17 point profile to get a good result.

(But, we do not recommend any of the JVC D-ILA projectors for professional grading operations, and have uninstalled them due to their not really being fit for use)

Have you checked the RGB Separation immediately after profiling?
It is good or bad?
I suspect it is bad.
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Soumya
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 30 Oct 2012 08:51 
Thanks Steve for such a prompt response.
We have looked at the cal images, but haven't corrected those as it was mentioned in the document to switch off all the existing profiles in the projector. The problem with the projector is if we switch off the preset profiles then it doesn't let you change the brightness and contrast also it fixes the colour temp to 6500K.
It lets you adjust the settings if you set it to any of the pre set profiles e.g. Standard, film, cinema, video, THX, etc.

Do you suggest that we try once by setting it to say standard and then trying to adjust the brightness and contrast according to tha cal images and then run the quick profile. Where should we fix the colour temperature?

Also you are quite right, the RGB separation is quite awfull. Should we give give precedence to RGB separation over % correct gamut profiling?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 30 Oct 2012 09:10 
The turning off existing colour management refers to THX, ISF, stuff, not basic settings capabilities as it does explain.
You must get the basics right using the minimum of controls, again as it explains in the user instructions.

I also doubt the colour temp is fixed at 6500K - no JVC I have ever looked at has ever been accurate.
But the results of a Quick Profile will tell you the underlying settings.
As it says on the user guide pages you need to get the basic right.

You should try setting to 'standard' if that is the only way to get access to the basic controls, and you should set everything as explained in the initial calibration page of the website.

You must get the underlying settings - all of them - as good as possible, including RGB Separation.

But, I would ideally send the projector back to who ever sold it to you as it really is not fit for purpose, and get a better one!

Steve Shaw

Author Soumya
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 30 Oct 2012 09:18 
Let us try few more times before we give up on the projector Sundeep is also coming down to our place to give it a final try. Wish us luck

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 30 Oct 2012 09:41 
Good luck!

Sundeep will indeed be able to verify the real possibilities!

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Michael S
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 12 Dec 2012 19:45 
Soumya

Hi Soumya,

It'd be great to have an update on how you got on and any tips you have. I'm a rs55 (x70) owner and going through the lightspace calibration now.

Thanks,

Michael

Author Soumya
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 13 Dec 2012 13:27 
Hi Michael,

Sundeep from Light Illusion came down to our set up and did a full calibration but we couldn't quite achieved Rec709. Finally he cheated the projector and made it as close as possible to the desired colour space. At the moment we are operating without any LUT.

Author Michael S
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 14 Dec 2012 12:47 
Ok, so you are just using the internal CMS?

I did manage to get a rec709 calibration in the end though the blue was touch and go.

Author Michael S
ZRO
#10 | Posted: 14 Dec 2012 15:37 
Just a further thought here in case you were having similar problems to me- I found that if I pre-calibrated the White point in the JVC CMS (set to 6500k but too blue) to bring it nearer the correct balance then rec709 blue wasn't achievable on any of the JVC's presets. However, when I left the white point alone Lightspace did bring the white to the correct point and still was able to get all the blue I needed (just). The resultant LUT is looking good.

Author Michael S
ZRO
#11 | Posted: 3 Jan 2013 14:03 
Hi Soumya,

Have you managed to get the 10-bit color working on your projector?

I'm sending 10-bit from Da Vinci Resolve over HDMI (through a eeColor box) but the deep color setting in the JVC says 8-bit.

Thanks

Author Steve

INF
Male
#12 | Posted: 3 Jan 2013 14:23 
Hi Michael,

Send this info to Tom Bond at eeColor.
He is running HDMI tests right now, so this is good feedback for him.

Mail me directly for his contact info.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#13 | Posted: 3 Jan 2013 23:46 
I don't know if that helps but using eecolor connected between Pioneer LX91 Blu-Ray Player with Deep Color ON and Pioneer KURO Plasma, i'm getting 1080p/36bit color using my TV's signal info.

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#14 | Posted: 3 Jan 2013 23:50 
This is actually 12bit per color , as i have confirmed using another VideoEQ signal info that is translated to 36bit per total pixels. (3x12bit)

Author Harry
ZRO
#15 | Posted: 19 Jan 2013 18:56 
I have also a X70 and got some experiences with.

First I tried to get a Rec.709 calibration done by using the color profile "standard".
The gamma calibration went fine (I've used Calman at this time).
But the gamut cal wasn't really perfect because the primaries were laying slightly inside the CIE triangle.

Then I've found a way for my unit to get the primaries closer at the CIE corners.
Maybe it's also working for other 70's/RS55:

While any input signal is present, open the service menu.
-> select "Adjust"
-> go to "Profile"
-> go into "Profile 1"
-> set the focus at "Standard"
-> change "L2" from 5 (=default) to 4 (= same as for "Cinema 2")

And as alternative to color profile "Standard", the "stage" maybe is one tick better:
-> go back to "Adjust"
-> go into "Profile 2"
-> set the focus at "stage"
-> change "L2" from 11 (=default) to 4

Close the service menu, open the user menu.
Switch to any other color profile than "Standard" or "Stage", but do never use "Off" because there is a FW bug, resulting in a wrong gamma setting at the low end IRE's when switching back to any other profile!
Now select either profile "Standard" or "Stage" (they are slightly different to each other) and check the gamut; the primaries now should be closer to - or beyond - the target coordinates.

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Colour Calibration for JVC DLA X70R

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0