| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Tutorial for Newcomer for calibration EIZO monitor using ColorSpace

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author Steve

INF
Male
#31 | Posted: 26 Mar 2021 09:18 
Yes - use the ^ button.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author markuskoepke
ZRO
#32 | Posted: 26 Mar 2021 09:19 
Perfect. I think I've got it now, then. Thank you for your time, Steve, very much appreciated.

Author grainpost
ZRO
#33 | Posted: 30 Nov 2021 08:22 
Hi guys,

Sorry for reviving an old thread but I'm attempting to calibrate using the exact same setup. I've went through 3D LUT guide and Eizo guide and I cannot find where I can start/access "Eizo interactive controls"?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Best wishes

Author Steve

INF
Male
#34 | Posted: 30 Nov 2021 08:42 
Eizo Interactive
Steve Shaw

Author grainpost
ZRO
#35 | Posted: 30 Nov 2021 13:29 
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the screen - I obviously "looked" there but I haven't "seen" it.

I think I'm experiencing the same issue as the original poster, as I'm not sure I understand what I should do to adjust the white point of the display before setting the peak brightness. I used Eizo's OSD controls at first but I understand this is incorrect (and the very bad, profile-smaller-than-target-space results seem to confirm this). You mentioned you need two Profile windows open and that you need to adjust the sliders (so the R-G-B controls of the patch colour) to achieve good white balance looking at the CIE charts. Problem is, I don't see any change on the CIE charts on the left side on the screen while adjusting the sliders even extremely. I'm sure this is a rookie mistake somewhere here I'm making but I'm really stuck on how to proceed. Attaching screens for reference.

I wanted to add I have the display connected through BlackMagic's Mini Monitor 4K on HDMI - as this is how it will be connected after the calibration so didn't want to introduce any variables.

Author grainpost
ZRO
#36 | Posted: 30 Nov 2021 13:29 
Attaching missing screens.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#37 | Posted: 30 Nov 2021 13:51 
Sorry to say, I'm not following.
The first page of this thread explains the way to set the Peak Luma to be brighter than final target, to counter any inaccuracy in the white point...
(As well as within the 3D LUT Calibration guide.)

"Peak White Nits Level & Colour Temperature
For pre-calibration setup, it is often preferable to not correct the display's native colour temperature, with the correction made via the 3D LUT. Using this approach, the peak nits value used needs to be set to be higher than the post-calibration target nits, to allow for later correction via the 3D LUT.

To find the correct pre-calibration peak white nits value to set, either use the display's RGB balance controls, or the ColourSpace sliders, to temporarily set the peak white colour temperature to be accurate, using the CIE charts to define when the correct colour temperature is attained.
(If using the ColourSpace Sliders do not uses the RGB Zoom & Bars Widgets, as they track the slider target colour - the CIE charts are absolute.)

When the correct colour temperature has been set, use the display's Backlight/Contrast controls (depending on the specific display being calibrated) to re-set the target peak luma nits value while taking continuous readings.

With the correct target value reached, re-set the RGB balance or ColourSpace sliders back to their default settings. The peak white nits reading will now show the required higher pre-calibration value."

It should be that simple...

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author grainpost
ZRO
#38 | Posted: 30 Nov 2021 19:02 
Hi Steve,

I'm struggling to understand this part: or the ColourSpace sliders, to temporarily set the peak white colour temperature to be accurate, using the CIE charts to define when the correct colour temperature is attained.

Where I can read the colour change from the CIE chart if there's no change on it when I move the ColourSpace sliders (with the "repeat" & "measure" button clicked, so the probe is taking a reading)? Although you advised otherwise in this thread, I understand I could alternatively use the Eizo OSD's Gain controls to set this temporarily using the Zoom & Bars widget, set the peak brightness to 100 nits and flash the OSD with Unity Bypass LUT to reset the display's colour change.

In the meantime I tried to create a profile with brightness set to around 120 nits without correcting the white balance and results are really strange... If I interpret this correctly the measured colour space is smaller than target (Rec.709)? Screens attached.

Also, not sure if this is normal behaviour, but upon LUT creation in LUT Tools the software stops responding - and I haven't managed to get it to create a 3D LUT yet, leaving it for 20-30mins before.

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, I've been trying to calibrate this setup for a good couple of days.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#39 | Posted: 30 Nov 2021 19:51 
When you move the sliders, the patch colour you are measuring, as controlled by ColourSpace, will change colour.
Therefore, the measured value, as shown by the CIE graphs, will change.
It has to, as that is the colour the probe is measuring.

If the CIE graphs do not change, you are not measuring the patch as defined by the ColourSpace sliders...

But separately, the profiles you have there show you have major issues.
As you are using Resolve as the TPG, that is where the issue will be.
The probe is reading before the patches are displayed - you need to use Extra Delay.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author grainpost
ZRO
#40 | Posted: 1 Dec 2021 10:34 
Hi Steve,

Thanks - I figured how to use the graph and found a slider point that was closest to x: 0.3127 y: 0.3290 values (1st screen). I've then set the brightness level of that point to be above 100 nits and proceeded to Characterisation (on a 10^3 Cube to save a bit of time while I troubleshoot). The generated result gave me a LUT with 90% within target gamut (2nd screen), although upon verification it gives me 68% target gamut coverage (after uploading the LUT through Active LUT window on settings page and running Characterisation on Grey, Primary & Secondary Ramp+ Mode).

I assume that the problem lies with me limiting the colour space/brightness of the display too much at some stage? I uploaded the Unity Bypass LUT to the Eizo before starting the Pre-Calibration characterisation.

Sorry if I'm missing something simple here, I hope you'll be able to help. I've gone through Interactive Manual & LUT Calibration guide once again yesterday to see if I'm not missing any steps.

For the purpose of the calibration I've replugged the display now directly into the graphics card instead of Mini Monitors 4K HDMI output. The Eizo is still in Video mode on the Admin OSD panel.

Author grainpost
ZRO
#41 | Posted: 1 Dec 2021 10:38 
I've just seen the added note regarding Extra Delay - I'm not using Resolve as TPG but the build-in Calibration Patches in ColourSpace (Automatic setting under Calibration Patches on the Hardware Options panel), just the Decklink card, but for this last calibration I replugged directly into HDMI & added a Delay time of 0.10s. Should this be increased to improve the results?

Screenshot of the Probe settings for reference.

Author Light Illusion

Male
#42 | Posted: 1 Dec 2021 10:58 
grainpost
The LUT shows you have HUGE issues with your profiling.
(As do the limited profiles screen grabs.)
I can't see/understand the workflow you are using for the profiling, so have no idea what the problem is.
But, you need to focus on getting the profiling working correctly...

However, I do not understand what you mean about using "the build-in Calibration Patches in ColourSpace"?
How are you displaying the patches on the Eizo?

Steve

Author grainpost
ZRO
#43 | Posted: 1 Dec 2021 11:06 
Steve,

I've just figured out that what was causing a considerate Delay was the USB hub that the Eizo USB cable was plugged into - I've just replugged directly and will see if that renders better results.

Regarding the Calibration Patches, I go under "Hardware Options" and after connecting the display I select "Automatic" under "Calibration Patches". After picking that setting the screen changes to whatever colour I have on the "Manual Measure" sliders and if I start "Characterisation" the screen starts displaying the Patch Sequence.

Screen of "Hardware Options" for reference.

Author Light Illusion

Male
#44 | Posted: 1 Dec 2021 11:44 
That means the Eizo Internal TPG.
That's all I needed to know.

And the 'Extra Delay' function is there for such 'Hub' delays...

Steve

Author grainpost
ZRO
#45 | Posted: 1 Dec 2021 15:42 
Hi Steve,

I added an extra delay time of 1s, plugged the monitor back via Decklink and run new pre-characterisation & profiling (10^3 still) using Resolve as TPG this time - seems to me that with much better results. I'm not sure if this is my particular setup but overall, while connected to Resolve the ColourSpace software is much more stable, calibrations are much faster & so is LUT creation.

I've generated a LUT, that showed 99% coverage of target colour space, however Gamut coverage upon re-profiling with the LUT applied shows only 91% coverage and I can see that quite a few points are not in the spot they should be on the RGB cube. Is this something a larger Cube size characterisation could fix?

Not sure if relevant, but uploading the LUT to Eizo via Hardware options (after connecting to it through a separate profiling window) failed twice before it completed.

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Tutorial for Newcomer for calibration EIZO monitor using ColorSpace

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0