| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Is there a video tutorial on how to use LightSpace CMS? If not, can someone create one?

Author Mori
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 29 Oct 2012 17:36 
I'm interested in LightSpace CMS and the Hubble Probe, but I'd like to see a video tutorial on how to go about using it properly and all the features that it has. Is there such a video in existence right now? If not, can someone create one?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 29 Oct 2012 17:40 
Hi Mori,

There are no video as you can download the demo of LightSpace to actually play with, using a virtual probe.
That, combined with all the user guides and info on the website should show you what is possible.

A video would be very, very long as there are many tools and capabilities within LightSpace.
Far too many fore a video to really show.

And if you have questions feel free to ask them.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Mori
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 29 Oct 2012 17:54 
Hi Steve,

The problem with the demo is that it doesn't really help me personally to understand what I need to know about the software. I'm a bit confused with everything in this general space of knowledge, so I'm not sure if some things are just slightly beyond my comprehension or completely beyond it. Downloading the demo and letting me press buttons and stuff won't help me better understand the capabilities as I won't even be sure exactly what I would be doing. I'm not even sure if I need lightspace or not because I'm not sure in what situations I would need it. This is pretty much why I'd need a video tutorial. Perhaps it doesn't have to be as comprehensive to go through explaining every button or toggle, but a beginners guide with explanation of the issues one would be trying to avoid and the goals one would try to accomplish would be greatly helpful in understanding whether or not it is something that is needed. I'm at a particular moment of confusion where I'm sure there are gaps in my knowledge, but I don't know what I don't know so I can't really know how to go about knowing what I don't know. Sending me to a website about the general knowledge of this space doesn't help me understand how Lightspace fits into all of it.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 29 Oct 2012 22:24 
Hi Mori,

There really are only a couple of reasons to have LightSpace.

Do you need to calibrate displays accurately?
or
Do you need to manage LUTs?

If either question has a 'yes' answer, then you probably need LightSpace.

If you are involved in colour critical work you really should take calibration and LUTs seriously, and while there are a number of different colour management systems available, none come close the capabilities of LightSpace.

Beyond that you are then looking at understanding what calibration is about, and that is more about overall workflows than LightSpace specifically.

This forum is probably a good place to ask such questions.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Mori
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 29 Oct 2012 23:58 
Hi Steve,

When you say manage LUTs, does that also include creating them? I know what a LUT is but I'm confused on how you actually get them and how you know they are the right ones you should be using. I'd also like to know more about the calibration process if you can give details on that. For example, if I asked someone to calibrate my monitor, and I stayed in the room to watch, what would I see him doing? The whole general idea of calibration and LUTs is to make what you see match what to expect on the final format right? In that case is it possible to use lightspace and a probe to calibrate for film out?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 30 Oct 2012 08:28 
There are two types of LUTs - Calibration and Creative.

Creating calibration LUTs is all part of the calibration process - you either need them or you don't.
Creative LUTs are used in situations like on-set monitoring of rough grades, or for dailies.
Again, you will know if you need them or not.

Other LUT Management means converting LUT formats, etc.

A basic calibration process is explained here: http://www.lightillusion.com/idiots_guide.html

And yes, LightSpace can match to final film deliverable.
There are 'general' film emulation settings in LightSpace, or for real accuracy you profile your film lab using the Light Illusion film profiling service, and then use that profile data within LightSpace to make an accurate film emulation LUT.

See: http://www.lightillusion.com/film_profiling.html

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Is there a video tutorial on how to use LightSpace CMS? If not, can someone create one?

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0