| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Forced Dolby Vision and Dolby Vision in general

Author Lttlwing16
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 5 Oct 2021 14:50 
Hey Folks,

I have two questions:

1) I own a Sony 800m2 UHD blu ray player which can force Dolby Vision on any content. My question is does anyone have any idea what it is actually doing when forcing DV, and could it be used to force DV mode for manual calibration?

2) There is a prominent calibrator on AVS making the claim that due to Dolby, Dolby Vision is inherently broken on every Dolby Vision capable consumer television. It must be calibrated properly to achieve accurate presentation of DV content. Any ideas what he is referring to or what exactly is broke?

Thanks so much,

David

Author RollsRoyce
ZRO
#2 | Posted: 5 Oct 2021 15:42 
Dolby maintains a stranglehold on all things DV. As I understand it, you usually cannot use patterns for DV that haven't been licensed by Dolby, or created with software not licensed by Dolby, for instance. Manufacturers must purchase software or hardware modules to install in their hardware that apply DV algorithms to the incoming signal and these can not be modified by end users or manufacturers.

Author Lttlwing16
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 5 Oct 2021 16:54 
RollsRoyce
Hey Rolls, thanks for the reply..

In that case wouldn't the 800m2 qualify as the DV licensed hardware..

In regards to question 2) I'm wondering if Dolby went to some average reference file that uses an average black point and peak luma target, and this is why OLED's have had particularly bad outcomes.

Author RollsRoyce
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 6 Oct 2021 00:34 
DV uses specially-formatted "tunneled" patterns which is why simply setting the 800m2 to "always DV" wouldn't get things done. There used to be a complicated process wherein certain Intel video cards could be made to produce the needed pattern structure, but it was hit and miss (sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't) and has since been abandoned. This was discussed in LG threads on the other forum over a year ago.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 6 Oct 2021 08:16 
With ColourSpace, you can use the SIX-G and SEVEN-G for all forms of Dolby Vision.
This is not possible with the likes of Calman...

https://www.lightillusion.com/forums/news-gossip-rumours-13/murideo-six-g-seven-dolby-vision-785.html

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Lttlwing16
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 7 Oct 2021 11:45 
RollsRoyce
Thanks again for the intel.

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Forced Dolby Vision and Dolby Vision in general

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0