| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

LG White Balance Pre-Calibration using Service Menu

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next »

Author Light Illusion

Male
#16 | Posted: 16 May 2021 08:18 
You've not actually described what you are calibrating to (the target), and what the error is with the LG?
What you adjust will depend on the error you are correcting.
You must include the Luma in the correction, as well as the colour.

It's worth reading the Manual Calibration Guide.

Steve

Author jreeder
ZRO
Male
#17 | Posted: 16 May 2021 21:23 
I'm just doing the pre-cal to prep for a 3dlut according to the opening post. The current white balance in the "service menu" for the cool setting reads at 12800K and I want to bring it to the suggested 110000K. I could easily raise red, but I got the impression from the opening post that I should not adjust red in this service menu setting. It also says to to keep the Red Gain @ 192 (to keep max dynamic range), and that's why I ask if I should change the default setting to 192 instead of what it's at now, and then adjust blue and green to get the right white balance for the cool preset.

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#18 | Posted: 16 May 2021 23:10 
Hi,

ColourSpace or LightSpace doesn't have a color temp in Kelvin because it's useless information.

The specific coordinates of the target colorspace you are using are your target, the D65 of REC.709, for example, not 11000K.

Keep Red and 192 and reduce the other two channels to reach D65 for your target colorspace (x0.3127 y0.3290).

Author Trekari
ZRO
#19 | Posted: 29 Jun 2021 04:10 
Hey Ted,

What's the translation for those of us with 2021 LG C1 televisions regarding color temperature?

The service menu still has Cool, Medium, and Warm, but the user color temperature selection ranges from Cold 50->1, 0, then Warm 1->50. Does COOL and WARM in the service menu represent the full value of 50 in the user menu? ie. Does Warm in SM correspond to "Warm 50" in the user menu?

Thanks for your help and time.

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#20 | Posted: 29 Jun 2021 15:50 
Hi,

We never change any default setting of Color Temp slider of LG TV with any model (2017/19/20/21).

After resetting the picture mode from the TV menu, don't change any color temp slider; just select the Color Tempa mode you will use to pre-calibrate in the SM WB menu.

Only the selection of the TV for Color Temp you will change.

If you pre-calibration SDR White Balance in Service Menu in COOL then you select COOL in the regular menu.

WARM in SM, then WARM 2 in the regular menu.

One of those color temp options will be used for the SDR WB SM calibration, and the other color temp for the WB SM for HDR10/DoVi.

Author Trekari
ZRO
#21 | Posted: 29 Jun 2021 17:18 
There is no such thing as "Warm 1" or "Warm 2" as a selection with the 2021 LG OLEDs.

There is a slider which ranges from Cold 50, Cold 49, Cold 48, etc. to 0, and then below that it becomes Warm 1, Warm 2, Warm 3, Warm 4, etc to Warm 50 at the bottom.

So the slider in the user menu MUST be used. The question is, does the service menu "Cool" represent "Cold 50" as opposed to "Cold 21" or "Cold 7" in the user menu.

Author mrtickleuk
ZRO
Male
#22 | Posted: 29 Jun 2021 17:19 
Trekari:
The service menu still has Cool, Medium, and Warm, but the user color temperature selection ranges from Cold 50->1, 0, then Warm 1->50.

The bad picture modes (Standard, Vivid, Sport, Eco, HDR Effect etc) are like this. They do not have the presets Cool/Medium/Warm1/2/3. They have the slider than you have described instead. You would not normally use these modes when calibrating. [this is for my C8, I presume for later models too]

Ted's answer is for the good picture modes [EDIT: on all models up to 2020, see below], which have the "Expert Controls" submenu, and the presets Cool/Medium/Warm1/2/3 in the White Balance menu.

If you are seeing the slider instead of Cool/Medium/Warm1/2/3, it means you are in a rubbish picture mode . To answer your specific question, I think that W50 is the same as "Warm2" in the other modes, but I have not done any tests to prove this either way.

Author Trekari
ZRO
#23 | Posted: 29 Jun 2021 20:56 
mrtickleuk:
The bad picture modes (Standard, Vivid, Sport, Eco, HDR Effect etc) are like this. They do not have the presets Cool/Medium/Warm1/2/3. They have the slider than you have described instead. You would not normally use these modes when calibrating. [this is for my C8, I presume for later models too]

Ted's answer is for the good picture modes, which have the "Expert Controls" submenu, and the presets Cool/Medium/Warm1/2/3 in the White Balance menu.

This is not correct. The 2021 LG picture modes all have that slider. Here is the Cinema (User) HDR menu:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PsX7RmntLW68X4pn7

Here is the White Balance menu for that mode:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JJuxHLEGXZbG8HHW8

Here's isf Dark WB menu:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UmnbTkEokygmEJNT6

I presume that Warm 50 is equivalent to Warm 2 in the guide, but that is what I am seeking verification of, since I have no evidence of that.

Author liberator72
ZRO
Male
#24 | Posted: 29 Jun 2021 21:04 
LG seem to have removed the Cool, Medium, Warm 1, Warm 2, Warm 3 pre-sets and replaced it with a slider on 2021 LG OLED's.

When I updated the latest guide revision to include information for 2021 LG OLED's, I used official LG documentation and information based on a pre-release firmware and at that time it was still using Warm 1, Warm 2 etc in the menus. This looks to have changed in official release firmware.

The Service Menu Cool setting should relate to Cold 50 in the user menu. The Service Menu Warm setting should relate to Warm 50 in the user menu. It is easy to check for yourself. Just pre calibrate either Cool or Warm in the Service Menu, and then measure various steps using the slider in the user menu to see what value gives the same xy coordinates that you calibrated to.

I don't currently have access to a 2021 LG OLED to test this for myself.

Author Ninjician
ZRO
Male
#25 | Posted: 29 Jun 2021 21:19 
liberator72
I've tested this.

Cool 50 lines up with Cool

0/midpoint lines up with Medium

Warm 50 lines up with Warm

There's no more Warm 1 or Warm 3. The slider gradually changes, but lines up with the Service Menu settings when you are at each extreme, or the Zero/Neutral point for "Medium"

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#26 | Posted: 29 Jun 2021 21:22 
Yes, it looks like LG changed these controls; I have just confirmed by asking an experienced ColourSpace user.

Cool 50 is 'Cool'

0 / midpoint is Medium.

Warm 50 is 'Warm'.

Author mrtickleuk
ZRO
Male
#27 | Posted: 30 Jun 2021 18:58 
Thanks for the corrections to my post. I did say I was making assumptions based on my C8 .

Author MaxOled
ZRO
#28 | Posted: 12 Mar 2022 23:33 
Can/should I also adjust the RGB Cut via the service menu as well? If I do so, should I keep R also at 64 and adjust only G B? Should the cut values only be lowered or raised?

Thank you!

Author liberator72
ZRO
Male
#29 | Posted: 13 Mar 2022 09:52 
MaxOled

There are conflicting opinions on whether to adjust the CUT values in the Service Menu, but as a general rule of thumb it is not advised, nor should it even be required.

The adjustment of the GAIN values in the Service menu is only done to pre-calibrate the peak white of the display whilst bypassing internal processing of the display. Adjusting the CUT values has the "potential" to introduce adverse effects.

You can adjust them if you want, but you should check with various patterns and content (not graphs and measurements) to ensure you haven't caused more issues than it solves.

Author raidflex
ZRO
Male
#30 | Posted: 17 Apr 2022 18:55 
So I start calibrating my LG C1 white balence from the SM. I am using Colourspace ZRO and a ColorMunki Display . Not sure if my panel is just way off or I am doing something wrong, but my average dE is very far off after adjusting the RGB gain.

I am using the PGenerator with 109% white pattern. LG C1 Black level is set to low and I disabled all processing, ABL, etc.

Current RGB:
Red 192
Blue: 114
Green: 179
Backlight 30

UPDATE: There was something going on with my probe and ZRO. I disconnected the probe and rebooted the system and now I was able to calibrate down to a dE of 1.5.

Quick question when calibrating HDR WB in the service menu what do I use for the target luma?

Page  Page 2 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 LG White Balance Pre-Calibration using Service Menu

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0