| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Tips and Tricks Light Illusion Forums / Tips and Tricks /  

109% Extended Range

Author Steve

INF
Male
#1 | Posted: 1 Apr 2021 09:22 
As some have seen, in the most recent build of ColourSpace we have made changes to the way 109% Extended Range works.
This has been planned for some time, and is also a precursor changes for PQ HDR calibration.

The changes in the present ColourSpace build should not really have been released as yet...
But, they have been, and the next release will finalise the changes for 109% Extended.

The information provided in the Patch Scale & Resolution page has been update to include information on these changes, including specific information on the requirement for the 'white patch'.
If this information is not followed correctly, especially with User Preset Patch Lists, the resulting profile, and any LUT generated from it, will be incorrect.

Critically, users must be aware of 109% using 235 (8 bit) as the white patch, with the addition of over-range patch data up to, and including, a 255 patch.
If a user patch set lacks a 235 and/or 255 patch (8 bit), depending on the Patch Scale range being used, synthetic data taken from the 'Target Max' value in the Settings page will be added to the profile.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author liberator72
ZRO
Male
#2 | Posted: 1 Apr 2021 11:50 
Hi Steve,

Clarification, if I may...

As you are aware, LG OLED requires 16-255 Extended for Characterisation, so I just want to be sure I understand correctly in case I need to modify the guides and/or custom patch sequences in any way.

When using a custom generated CSV sequence with Patch Scale Extended, the sequence must contain both 100% (235) and 109% (255).

Or is it the case that provided the sequence contains 109% (255) that is all it will need as the Max White value will be correctly recorded?

The above obviously assumes the sequence contains the correct 0% black (16) within the sequence in either case.

Cheers, Leon

Author Steve

INF
Male
#3 | Posted: 1 Apr 2021 11:53 
No, as stated in the Patch Scale & Resolution guide, an Extended Patch Set must have both 235 and 255, as well as 16 (8 bit).
"0 and 255 for Full; 16 - 235 for Legal; 16 - 235 & 255 for Extended ( 8 bit)"

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author liberator72
ZRO
Male
#4 | Posted: 1 Apr 2021 11:57 
Cool, that's how I understood the wording in the linked page, I just wanted to clarify due to the wording in the first post (and/or).

All good, just need to check that the sequences we provide contain both 235.235.235 and 255.255.255 patches then, other than that, nothing else changes for us.

Thanks, Leon

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 8 May 2021 16:04 
We have a bit of an update coming, with respect to Patch Scale and Extended 109% profiling...

We are removing the need for a 235 (8 bit) 100% patch when using Extended Patch Scale.
If performing manual calibration adjustments, a 100% patch measurement will be need, or the Target values will be incorrect.
But, for Characterisations, or Presets patch lists (profiling for LUT generation), the 100% patch will not be required.

We are also changing the way graphs work, so they will plot even without Black & White patches.

When a profile is saved, it will need to have Black & White patches, with synthetic ones added if needed.
But, it will obviously make better sense to actually measure real B&W patches!

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author ebr9999
DPS
#6 | Posted: 10 May 2021 14:23 
I have noted something of interesting about CS generated cube patchset with extended scale range.
What in principle happens is that a 235-cube level is always inserted. The number of patchsets is kept the same by decreasing by one the number of levels between 16 and 235. I have written in principle, as, the algorithm is much smarter, as when the density of level allows for that, add more levels between 235 and 255.

So, if you start a 3-depth cube you have combination of RGB 16,235,255 (0%,100%,109%) vs. the legal case, where you have 16,118,235 (0%,47%,100%). In the same way, for 4-depth, you have 16,118,235,255 (0%,47%,100%,109%) vs. 16,81,156,235 (0%,30%,64%,100%) and so on.
The outcome is that the sampling of the same measured gamut is different depending a legal/full or an extended patch scale resolution is used. Specifically, the 100%-109% area it always oversampled, at the expense of 0%-100% one.

Does that (i.e., 235 level inserting), make sense as:
Steve:
We are removing the need for a 235 (8 bit) 100% patch when using Extended Patch Scale.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#7 | Posted: 10 May 2021 14:52 
As we have discussed via direct email, the way ColourSpace works presently is exactly as it is designed to do so.
Whether that will change when the new update regarding the use of Black/White points will become evident when the changes are released.
Until the changes are released, the way ColourSpace works is exactly as it is designed to work.

Steve
Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Tips and Tricks Light Illusion Forums / Tips and Tricks /
 109% Extended Range

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0