| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Tutorial for Newcomer for calibration EIZO monitor using ColorSpace

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author markuskoepke
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 14:44 
I'm a complete newcomer to display calibration. I'm mainly a DP who is doing some color work and wants to get a somewhat accurate reading of my images.
I have an EIZO CG247X, an XRite i1Display Pro probe and a ColorSpace LTE license.

I've been looking through the Interactive manual on the website, and though this is very helpful in understanding what each of the buttons do, I'm still feeling overwhelmed. Is there a tutorial of some kind that tells me exactly what settings I have to put into ColorSpace to calibrate for Rec709? I'm afraid that having one of the settings wrong will result in a wrong calibration and I wouldn't even know it.

Any help?
Thanks!

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 15:32 
Have you read the 3D LUT Calibration Guide?
https://www.lightillusion.com/3d_lut_guide.html
It takes you through the approach for any display when calibrating with a 3D LUT.

If you combine that with the Eizo Guide...
https://www.lightillusion.com/eizo_manual.html
And the i1D3 Guide...
https://www.lightillusion.com/i1display_pro.html#integration-1
You should have all the info you need.

And you can ask any additional questions as you go.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author markuskoepke
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 16:21 
Thank you Steve, I'm working through it now.

Additional question that have come up for me:
1) What Matrix do I need to select in the Calibration Settings for the probe? My Eizo is advertised as an IPS Wide Gamut, which would be the corresponding selection here?

2) According to the i1Display integration manual, I have selected "Intelligent Int." What value do I need to put in here? 0.750, as shown in the screenshot?

3) Regarding this part from the Eizo manual:

Set the display's Peak Luma using the Interactive Controls while taking interactive measurements via the Manual Measure menu
(The desired target value will depend on the accuracy of the white point colour temperature)

I don't fully understand this part. I open the Eizo Interactive Controls, which opens up a floating window. I then move over to the Manual Measure tab, but what do I need to set / measure here and what value should I then set in the Interactive controls? Do I set the patch color to white?

Thank you for your help.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 16:26 
The correct matrix depends on the actual backlight of the display.
There is a list on the Eizo User Guide - see the ? Backlight Types option.

And with Intelligent Integration, that is a user choice based on the Nits Level below which you want it to be enabled.
Too high, and profiling will be slower than necessary.

And with the Interactive Peak Luma, yes, you set 100% White, as that is what Peak Luma is measured against.
You adjust the Interactive Control until the desired Peak Luma Nits value is measured pre-profiling, as explained the 3D LUT Guide.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author markuskoepke
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 16:43 
Steve:
The correct matrix depends on the actual backlight of the display.
There is a list on the Eizo User Guide - see the ? Backlight Types option.

Ah, totally missed that box. Thank you. As there is only an "RG Phosphor" selection available and nothing for Blue LED, I'm assuming that one would be the correct choice, then? My monitor is shown as having Blue LED + RG Phosphor.

Steve:
And with the Interactive Peak Luma, yes, you se 100% White, as that is what Peak Luma is measured against.
You adjust the Interactive Control until the desired Peak Luma Nits value is measured.

I see. Just to be 100% clear, I have chosen 100% White as the Patch Color, taking a measurement, and adjusted my Brightness so that the Actual YMax is as close to Target YMax as possible. Is this correct? I'm not getting to a complete match, but I assume that is to be expected?

Sorry for double checking, the fear of mis-configuration is still there :D

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 16:52 
Yep, all correct.
But with the Peak Luma setting, remember the target peak will likely be different o the final target, as the RGB Balance will likely be inaccurate.
That is explained in the User Guides.

"Peak White Nits Level & Colour Temperature
For pre-calibration setup, it is often preferable to not correct the display's native colour temperature, with the correction made via the 3D LUT. Using this approach, the peak nits value used needs to be set to be higher than the post-calibration target nits, to allow for later correction via the 3D LUT.

To find the correct nits value to set, either use the display's RGB balance controls, or the ColourSpace sliders (if using a connected TPG, or the in-built TPG via direct HDMI from the ColourSpace laptop) to temporarily set the peak white colour temperature to be accurate, using the CIE charts (not the RGB Zoom & Bars Widgets, as they track the slider target colour - the CIE charts are absolute).

Use the display's Backlight/Contrast controls to set the target peak luma nits value while taking continuous readings.

With the correct target value reached, re-set the RGB balance or ColourSpace sliders back to their default settings. The peak white nits reading will now show the required higher pre-calibration value."

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author markuskoepke
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 17:18 
Thanks Steve.
Again, to clarify as this is still a bit confusing to me.
I'm not finding an option inside ColorSpace to use sliders, so I'm assuming I'll have to adjust using the Eizo's OSD. Am I understanding this correctly:
"To find the correct nits value to set, either use the display's RGB balance controls, [...] to temporarily set the peak while colour temperature to be accurate."

(I'm inside the CUSTOM slot by the way, and I have used the "Unity Bypass Upload" function as described in the EIZO guide).

So I'm setting all of the Eizo's RGB sliders to 100%.
Next, it says:

"Use the display's Backlight/Contrast controls to set the target peak luma nits value while taking continuous readings."

I'm not finding a Backlight/Contrast control on my Eizo, do I simply use the Brightness control via the Interactive Controls window here?
If that is correct, I'm measuring / adjusting Brightness until I reach as close to Target as possible (190 Brightness in my case or 120cd/m2 shown on the Eizo).
I then reset the Color on the OSD. Now I do another measurement which now gives me a YMax of 119.
So I set 119 as my target Y in the Luma Target (Nits) on the Settings page? Is this correct? Can I simply use the ^ button from "Profile Luma" to transfer those values, or would that be incorrect as the Min value has not been measured?

Thank you for your time.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 17:54 
The 'Sliders' are within the Manual Measure menu of ColourSpace. You can set any colour patch there.
You do not use the display OSD.
(So no resetting via the OSD either!)

And as per the Eizo Guide, the Brightness is the Interactive Peak Luma control.
There are no other controls with the Eizo.

And as it says in the guides, the Min/Max values do not need to be set.
But it can be helpful if they are set - you can take a Black/White reading if you want, and use those.
Having them set just means any manual measurement will provided valid feedback.
(But with LUT based calibration that is really irrelevant.)

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author markuskoepke
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 19:40 
Okay, so the Sliders I used to set 100% white, got it. So I am not to set 100% white and measure that after all but adjust the sliders to ... what exactly? Sorry this is really confusing to me.
What does this:
"To find the correct nits value to set [...] temporarily set the peak while colour temperature to be accurate."
mean?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#10 | Posted: 23 Mar 2021 19:44 
The correct colour temp is when the RGB colours all balance to give to the correct 'colour' white.
D65 for Rec709/sRGB.
The CIE graphs, Zoom widget, and Bars widget show that, with the Target Colour Space set to Rec709/sRGB, or whatever colour space you are targeting.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author markuskoepke
ZRO
#11 | Posted: 24 Mar 2021 14:18 
Hi Steve,

allright, so at what brightness value should I do those adjustments? As the RGB balance is dependent on the brightness setting. I'm confused what comes first.
I have set the Patch to 100% white, measured that, and set the Brightness until I reached 100 Nits. The color balance is way of here, as can be seen in the first screenshot.
Now, I have to adjust the RGB sliders so that they align, at that Brightness? Like in the second screenshot? But this is not white anymore, obviously. Where do I go from there?

I feel like I'm missing a general concept here ...

Author Steve

INF
Male
#12 | Posted: 24 Mar 2021 14:30 
No, you have the concept correct.
Just re-adjust the Brightness, to get back to 100 nits when the RGB balance is correct.
And then when the LUT is later applied, the peak nits will be ~100 nits.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author markuskoepke
ZRO
#13 | Posted: 24 Mar 2021 14:47 
Steve:
No, you have the concept correct.

Wow, I truly did not expect that!

Steve:
Just re-adjust the Brightness, to get back to 100 nits when the RGB balance is correct.
And then when the LUT is later applied, the peak nits will be ~100 nits.

So, I'm now increasing the brightness so YActual goes up to 100 Nits (see screenshot 1) and then reset the sliders to 100% white (screenshot 2). So do I now leave the Brightness setting as is, or what do I do with the 177 Nits value now displayed?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#14 | Posted: 24 Mar 2021 15:04 
Yes, leave everything alone.
You now have the correct 'pre-calibration' peak luma setting, so that when the LUT is applied the peak will drop to 100 nits.

All 'calibration' is subtractive, so when the LUT corrects the RGB Balance, it will produce the same luma drop you just did manually.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author markuskoepke
ZRO
#15 | Posted: 25 Mar 2021 09:53 
Hi Steve,
thanks!

Moving on on my journey, in the next step after setting the peak luma, I have followed the Volumetric Gamut portion of the guide and ran a Characterisation with a 17^3 profile size. After that had successfully finished, I moved on to the LUT creation as described in the guide (for Rec709). It was returned that 99% of my target gamut were reached. I uploaded the LUT to the Eizo and then re-ran a Characterization for Primary & Secondary which gave me the attached results.
As a novice, most of the graphs look good to me, but I lack the knowledge of really assessing this. The "reporting" section is greyed out, I'm assuming this is not included in my LTE license?
I need some peace of mind, how can I tell my calibration is now actually correct? I for example now ran a test patch with 100% white with the LUT applied, and got a deltaE of over 10, which is a lot?

Page  Page 1 of 4:  1  2  3  4  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Tutorial for Newcomer for calibration EIZO monitor using ColorSpace

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0