| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Question about Probe Matching procedure

Author melorama
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 2 Apr 2014 02:11 
Does the process of profiling different probes for the purposes of probe matching require a full "pre calibration" setup of the display before doing the probe profiling? Or is the probe "offset" literally a simple offset, that only requires that the actual profiling of the two probes occur on the same display?

I'm matching an i1 Display Pro to an i1Pro2.

Thanks !

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 2 Apr 2014 07:46 
The second process

It is literally a simple offset that only requires that the actual profiling of the two probes occur on the same display.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Lttlwing16
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 2 Mar 2021 15:46 
Steve:
The second process

It is literally a simple offset that only requires that the actual profiling of the two probes occur on the same display.

Steve

Just got a hold of an i1 pro 2 to profile my i1d3 and I've watched your video for probe matching in Colourspace. This will be my first go at probe matching, and I had a couple quick questions:

1) You didn't mention post-verification in the video. Is this something we need to check, and is just "understood" so no need in mentioning in the video?

2) You didn't seem to put a big emphasis on lining up the meters exactly the same, just that the probe matching needs to occur on the same display. I assume using both meters in contact mode, one after the other, and aligning them as close to the same place in the patch window will suffice?

Thanks in advance!

David

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 2 Mar 2021 17:48 
By post verification, do you mean checking the 'matched' Tristimulus does now 'match' (within sensible limits) the Spectro?
If so, yes, it is assumed such a check would be performed by any user.

As for probe alignment, there are many different views on what is 'best'.
Some suggest doing one probe after the other, on the same exact place on the screen, even going as far as to set the distance such that the FOV of each probe is identical.
Others suggest placing side-by-side and measuring at the same time, so there is no display drift...
(With, or without FOV matching.)
But, using one probe in non-contact mode can generate issues with reflection, is the room is not totally dark...
So matching FOV can have its own problems.

And it is also necessary to check for polarisation issues, making sure that the probes both read consistently regardless of their orientation on the screen.
(ie, upside down, rotate to the side...)

The final choices on what is best for you, are really down to you.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Lttlwing16
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 3 Mar 2021 00:18 
Steve:
By post verification, do you mean checking the 'matched' Tristimulus does now 'match' (within sensible limits) the Spectro?
If so, yes, it is assumed such a check would be performed by any user.

Yes exactly. I'll try to get repeatable results before I'm comfortable with the probe match and move on to manual calibration.

Steve:
As for probe alignment, there are many different views on what is 'best'.
Some suggest doing one probe after the other, on the same exact place on the screen, even going as far as to set the distance such that the FOV of each probe is identical.
Others suggest placing side-by-side and measuring at the same time, so there is no display drift...
(With, or without FOV matching.)
But, using one probe in non-contact mode can generate issues with reflection, is the room is not totally dark...
So matching FOV can have its own problems.

And it is also necessary to check for polarisation issues, making sure that the probes both read consistently regardless of their orientation on the screen.
(ie, upside down, rotate to the side...)

The final choices on what is best for you, are really down to you.

Steve

Sincere thanks for the tips. From my research it would seem the i1 pro 2 is compatible with on-display contact measurement , as I've not seen anything in their literature against it, and they even include an accessory for doing such. That said, I'll begin there and seek to find the method that gives me the most repeatable result within the NIST guidelines (+-.001 xy, +-1.5% Y) when measuring the matched i1d3 to the i1 pro 2.

-- Last question-- If probe matching with my Sony 950H in the DCI-p3 gamut (as is closest to it's native gamut in my research), I'd assume the probe matching measurements in CS are independent of the selected Target Gamut /EOTF settings in the Settings? Or do I need to select DCI p3 D65 colour space as the target gamut there as well?

Thanks again --

David

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 3 Mar 2021 08:26 
Yes, Probe matching has nothing to do with the selected target colour space within CS.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author liberator72
ZRO
Male
#7 | Posted: 3 Mar 2021 17:56 
Lttlwing16
Just a heads up. If you are performing Manual Calibration of your Sony, there is no real need to force the display into a wider (DCI) gamut. Usually it is advised to do this if you are performing a full display profile for 3D LUT generation, as the display needs to be profiled in its native gamut. There is nothing to prevent you from doing this, but it is not a requirement.

But if you do decide to probe match with your display set to DCI, there is no need to adjust the Target Gamut/EOTF. As you correctly assumed, they are independant to the Probe Matching procedure.

While I am an advocate of FOV matching, it can be very difficult with the X-Rite probes (high end probes have laser targets or viewfinders). It made sense to attempt it on WRGB OLED panels due to the addition of the white sub pixel breaking the traditional FCMM probe match method (causing luminance errors during verification). FOV matching gave slightly better results with FCMM, but with FCVM in ColourSpace the Probe Match works exactly as it should every time, so even with WRGB OLED, contact mode without matching FOV will provide an accurate Probe Match. For standard RGB displays, it wasn't so much of an issue anyway. Probe Matching on your Sony should be fairly straightforward.

My advice would be to try not to overthink it to begin with. Just set both probes in contact mode next to each other on the display and attempt a few Pobe Matches to get used to the procedure. Once you have done that, you can decide whether you wish to measure one after the other on the same spot, or attempt non-contact measurements with both meters reading at the same time etc, etc to see if there are any appreciable differences.

Hope that helps a little.

Author Lttlwing16
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 22 Jun 2021 14:13 
Using ZRO version 1.0.0.1144 -- during probe matching my laptop will display the patch window as well as sending it to the external display via Pgenerator .

Is this intended behavior?

FWIW regular measurements do not do this.

Thanks!

David

Author Steve

INF
Male
#9 | Posted: 22 Jun 2021 15:56 
Please see the reply to your original post here.

Steve
Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Question about Probe Matching procedure

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0