| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

ASUS PA32UCX

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author Steve

INF
Male
#31 | Posted: 26 Nov 2020 12:16 
That is what the 1D Post LUT is for, if you really want to do that.
(Use it to pre-set - far more accurately - such settings, if you so choose...)

But, there is no real need, as the 3D LUT will take care of all that, as per the user guides for 3D LUT calibration.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author tristansummers
ZRO
Male
#32 | Posted: 26 Nov 2020 12:26 
OK
great, that is what I have done but still getting errors.
will backtrack and see if I did something wrong
Will verify what it has done. and if incorrect will try profiling Asus i1D against i1Pro BEFORE rather than after to see if it makes a difference
Thanks Steve (and Ted) for help.
tristansummers

Author Steve

INF
Male
#33 | Posted: 26 Nov 2020 12:28 
What do you mean, getting errors?
That's not a lot of info to go on with...

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author tristansummers
ZRO
Male
#34 | Posted: 26 Nov 2020 13:16 
I set to 140nits to give headroom and ran 17 point cube with Generic CMF, uploaded and still have large above 3<E
tuning probe matching on increases error difference
Just now though, connected over USBCtoC 255,255,255 white patch is purple so some YUV/RGB error or cable link error.
the fight contunues
tristansummers

Author simonjaquemet
ZRO
#35 | Posted: 3 Dec 2020 10:46 
Hi All

A quick update on the ASUS that refused to connect to Lightspace:
We got the new unit today. Plugged it in and it connects right away. So the old one must have had a hardware or software bug.

Just a last question: How much delay do you use to safely profile the Asus with the internal patch generator and cr100 probe?
We tried with 0.25 but that seemed a bit short to catch the dynamic backlight.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#36 | Posted: 3 Dec 2020 13:19 
It will depend on the settings used for the dynamic backlight within the display.
It is easy to test for a suitable value though.

For example, you can make a test patch sequence that is alternate Black/White patches, and adjust Extra Delay until you get the best Min/Max readings.
Or, make the 'Stabilisation' path something like 'Orange', and run a grey scale, and again adjust Extra Delay until the plots show no 'Orange' within the grey scale.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author tristansummers
ZRO
Male
#37 | Posted: 17 Dec 2020 15:45 
Has anyone found a way to control this remotely?
This model does not come with a control puck and I was hoping to set a streamdeck up to change inputs and colourspaces. Otherwise menu navigation is very slow.
Maybe needs an intermediary DDC control app?
I find the cable inputs are too low, so cables push against the desk or control panels / keyboards, then bend the ports/cables.
Basically means you can't have the monitor really low. Which in the world of trying to have both a centre speaker and the reference display above the GUI is geting more important.
Asus could do with looking at Eizo for cable management and input location.
When on a mount arm it is quite hard to find a way to hold the monitor without accidentally hitting the many back buttons.

Tris
tristansummers

Author tristansummers
ZRO
Male
#38 | Posted: 17 Dec 2020 15:47 
Would also like to know why fine vertical lines are sometimes blue and sometime yellow. Not seen that before on a display.
tristansummers

Author tristansummers
ZRO
Male
#39 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 18:03 
Steve, can you offer more tips on using this monitor, recommended set up for rec709 and PQ use?
What has your analysis found out about it?
It would be really good if there was an extended page where recommended settings for each major display was pooled, so calibrtators didn't have to work it out for themselves each time.
The Asus Guide is great for getting you up to speed but I feel there must be a lot of other findings out there.
For example, what is dynamic dimming, as turning it off ruins black levels, so brightness cannot go low enough?
But leaving it on adds weird shadows to partial pattern sizes and unformity gets really weird.
So it being off would seem like the accurate way to use it
If it is on, what should the black level control be used for?
Is there a way to controlthe settings via it's calibration software so as not to have the enourmous control screen up blocking a quarter of the screen?
seems it is probably easier to closed loop with it on the laptop rather than on a seperate resolve workstation via decklink
My update on the monitor is I hate it. It has a wide colourspace, seemingly a great deal of rec2020 but it has not been designed by anyone who has used a monitor professionally and is driving me crazy. It slowly steps through each user preset rather than letting you select one quickly. It can sit unresponsive for ages when changing settings. It is really hard to attach cables under its vertical and then horizontal flap, meaning you basically have to plug them in from the front by lifting it up. the connectivity is flakey because of their implementation of displayport over thunderbolt and it doesn't seem to be able to be controlled remotely.
Can someone tell me when Eizo will be bringing out a screen based on this panel as they at least understand how people use monitors?
Rant over, but if colorists are going to recommend this then people need to understand it problems. I wanted it as combined reference and GUI, switching inputs as required, but really has to be reference only as switching inputs takes so long
tristansummers

Author Steve

INF
Male
#40 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 18:44 
As we have so many displays go through our hands, we never have time to really do anything other than verify the display's basic capabilities, and it's accuracy when calibrated with ColourSpace.

If we were to start looking at other settings stuff, etc, we would not have time for our own work.

But, the 'dynamic dimming' is the FALD backlight.
Disabling that makes it a 'standard' display.
And as it can do high bright peak luma, the black will therefore be lifted.

As for the calibration workflow, we always recommend using a separate laptop, not the Resolve PC.
You network into Resolve to use the Resolve TPG, if you want.
But you can equally use the ASUS in-built TPG, directly connected to the ColourSpace laptop.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author tristansummers
ZRO
Male
#41 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 19:10 
Hi
Didn't mean to add more work to you, more a way to pool all user's experience and findings. But if you've calibrated it once properly, then share what settings it had at the time so we can do it as well. Guess it will be more obvious the more experience i have.
The backlight zones definitely contaminate colour and are very uneven then.
Remote comment more about the asus controls while calibrating.
Need Asus usb connected to colourspace laptop to upload lut but need it connected to workstation to control settings, can't be connected to both at once.
Always tricky pressing the buttons on a monitor while a probe is pressed onto it.
tristansummers

Author Steve

INF
Male
#42 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 19:16 
All FALD displays use the same backlight technology.
Just look at the over-hyped Apple display...

But, I don't understand the 'Need Asus usb connected to colourspace laptop to upload lut but need it connected to workstation to control settings' comment...
What do you mean?

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author tristansummers
ZRO
Male
#43 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 19:59 
In order to set brightness and contrast while calibrating, it is easier to control the display by ddc. As there doesn't seem to be a ddc option in colourspace, and only one piece of hardware that isn't a probe can be connected, which is resolve, the only way i found was to use the asus software, which only works when usb and hdmi are connected to the same computer. Which doesn't work as it's only connected to the decklink, hence thinking maybe it's easier to close loop calibrate and miss out the Resolve machine complications
Maybe there is a way to have a remote version of colourspace running on the resolve machine, to control the asus. Guess I'm used to having ddc options in calman.
tristansummers

Author Steve

INF
Male
#44 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 20:05 
I do not trust DDC controls - and set the peak luma via the OSD. There is no guarantee what the DDC is actual adjusting.
(Peak luma is all you need to set.)
Using the OSD to limit the backlight brightness means you will be minimising the black level, when calibrating for SDR.

That is why the User Guide says: "Before proceeding further, peak luma levels for the desired standard - SDR or HDR - should be set via the display's OSD Brightness control, using Manual Measure with a 100% white patch."

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author tristansummers
ZRO
Male
#45 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 20:06 
Because to set contrast otherwise = press menu button, press down 4 times, across once, down once then realise you can't see the patterns because the menu is in the way, then move the probe because the menu goes all the way to the centre of screen.
It really needs a puck, dials, remote device control or something. I've just been spoilt by the Dolby.
tristansummers

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 ASUS PA32UCX

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0