| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

LG CX 1D and 3D factory reset

Author stuart_p
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 9 Sep 2020 11:08 
Hi, just wondering whether it is possible to reset the CX Oleds back to factory 1D/3D lut? The Reset in the profile selection such as cinema, dark isf etc doesn't seem to actually reset the LUTs. Also, anybody had trouble with the BMD Mini Monitor with the C19 and CX Oleds, tearing images etc. No problems with any other monitors that I have used. Thanks in advance

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#2 | Posted: 9 Sep 2020 11:27 
Hi,

The reset picture mode using the TV remote from each selected picture preset will not remove any 1D/3D LUT from the TV Memory.

The LUTs are still be stored internally to the TV; just the processing unit will bypass using them.

The TV is not using factory LUTs, as these slots are available only for custom upload.

When you want to unload any custom LUT from the TV, you have to ''Reset to Initial Settings'' using the TV remote.

The factory is only adding a 3x3 matrix from native gamut to REC.709. These slots are available before the 3D and 1D LUTs.

3x3 matrix is not used from any calibration software, so when you use DeviceControl and select 'restore factory values', it will send UNITY/bypass to that 3x3 matrix.

The video pipeline explained here:

https://displaycalibrations.com/lg_2018_oled_profiling_using_lightspace.html

The last 2 FW updates LG has provided, they have added a lot of problems to all TV modes.

Do you have an example of the issue you have seen with DeckLink?

BTW we never use 1D LUT (even 1D LUT reset is wrong) with any LG OLED ,2018-2019-2020, as the processing of the LUT of the LG will add issues, it will not help at any form in the calibration.

Pre-Calibration of RGB-Hign in the service menu and then profiling using 3D LUT is the best method.

Author stuart_p
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 9 Sep 2020 22:31 
Thanks Ted. Yes I have seen all the info, I had one new Oled cx which had very bad fall off at the bottom end of the gamma curve and tried everything in the 'normal' mode to fix without success and then tried the 1D LUT which also did not work. These are in post suites against Sony PVM so any errors are quite apparent. Ended up using the film maker mode as while it had fall off at least it was neutral and at the end actually got a very good match to the Oled. Then went into the next suite with new Oled and it's gamma tracking is OK.
Your point about adding problems is one understatement and the variability in quality is getting worst I reckon.
The issue with the BMD MM is some timing/clock issue. It's image content dependent whether an mage is displayed from the timeline. For instance you can show the brightness cal and contrast cal but not the grainer rainbow or any other content really. I haven't got an Oled to test further so a bit difficult. But I noticed it first with the C19 model.
So to clarify my question after a very long day, the Reset to Initial Settings will reenable the normal white point controls in the Oled?

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#4 | Posted: 10 Sep 2020 15:55 
About the Resolve issue, could you send me more info via email to check?

Which DeckLink card you have tested, Monitor or Monitor 4K?

Please send me all details to see how to reproduce and see where I can help.

When you press from the regular TV remote to reset to initial settings, it will return the TV to the same condition the TV had when you powered up the first time.

It will not lose any internal panel data for aging or compression cycle data, panel hours, etc., it will delete all custom uploaded LUTs (you lose all calibrations)

When you press reset to a specific picture mode, it will enable the regular TV menu White balance. It will not unload your custom LUT; it will only bypass it.

Generally, never use regular TV menus controls RGB balance as the algorithm responsible for that correction is not good and will degrade the picture.

Change only OLED Light/ Contrast/Brightness only, not RGB balance.

When you are using 1D LUT of TV, it will bypass SM WB settings.

See:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/lg-oleds-3d-lut-profiling-using-lightspace-thread.3043520/post-60067352

Author stuart_p
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 11 Sep 2020 06:38 
Hi Ted. Can't send you anything further. I had 5 LG Oleds and 6 Sony PVM's to calibrate and match down at the Warner Studio's so it was hectic. But the issue is with the BMD Mini Monitor which is a HD Y'CbCr device. I ended up using the infrastructure post had in place and I noticed an older BMD Ultrastudio 4K into the Oled (it was connected RGB), the Oled had trouble getting a picture on the screen, eventually did. The newer Terenex models seem fine. Consumer panels in a pro environment is not great. On two panels trying to get the SM white balance menu to appear was a challenge. Sat there in front of one screen just pressing the remote constantly to get the menu to stay, it would flash up and then disappear. The problem with the BMD MM certainly appears to be some clock timing issue. The BMD MM also have trouble sometimes with Eizo CG319's where they lose lock for a moment and then come back, but nothing like I had with the new Oleds, tearing and green sparkels which is always a sign of clock issues. Whether it is HDMI protocol issue I don't know, could well be as the MM works fine with older LG's. But I don't have a panel to really test further. I am waiting on delivery of the new 3G MM model but BMD have had no stock for over a month now.
The big problem, which you mentioned in the posts is the panel greyscale response, and this was the issue I had, very bad in one panel. The 3D lut tried to correct it but actually the problem became worst, which is why in the end I tried the 1D lut. Which aslo didn't work. I'm trying to get hold of a panel to work on further as more and more post houses use these panels. I am thinking that the SM 22 point calibration may work, getting the response of the panel right, particularly in the shadow areas where 3 out of the 5 panels I had had poor performance and this is then hidden from user adjustment like the WB SM adjustment. But, it needs to be a way that works relatively quickly and smoothly, you cannot take hours and hours trying to calibrate a display, especially when there are lots to do and they have to match a professional monitor. I must say the new CSpace really helped in fixing/aligning the gamma response in the manual mode.

Thanks for your help. If I can test further I will and post. Thank God it's Friday

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#6 | Posted: 12 Sep 2020 12:15 
Hi Stuart,

A lot of CX, from the data I have; they have not good factory calibration.

C9 had better factory calibration.

You can see that by looking at the RGB Separation using Profile of Primary before starting calibration. (with contrast @ 85 and Color @ 50)

You can improve the factory problem by taking multiple Profile of Primary Color and compare RGB separation charts using different Contrast settings (84, 83, 82, 81, 80) and then Color (51, 52, 53, 54, 55).

Most of the time, the factory problem's improvement will come by setting Contrast @ 80 and Color at 54-55, but each unit may need different values.

See here:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/colourspace-cms-next-generation-calibration-thread.3049142/post-60055075

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/colourspace-cms-next-generation-calibration-thread.3049142/post-60055180

When you have issues with the input signal, you can use the HDMI Diagnosis menu to determine what signal TV is receiving:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2019-lg-oled-calibration-and-user-settings-no-price-talk.3042154/post-58775690

You can use the HDMI Override menu to force HDR10 to an SDR signaling of DeckLink cards (they use Hd Fury for that with C9, with CX that secret menu can be used):

https://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/lg-oled-terrible-uniformity.14741/#post-147306

If you have dimming issues with 2018/2019/2020 models, you can disable GSR:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/lg-oleds-3d-lut-profiling-using-lightspace-thread.3043520/post-60048600

If you have a problem with any older DeckLink card with HD output, then you can disable the Deep Color to the specific HDMI you have connected the DeckLink card:

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/lg-oleds-3d-lut-profiling-using-lightspace-thread.3043520/post-58376942

Your HDMI port will become 300 MHz, work like HDMI 1.4, without HDR support.

If you have problems to pre-calibrate 109% White using SM Menu, you can ignore it and let the 3D LUT fix it.

You have to determine which OLED Light setting will provide you 124 nits @ 109% White.

Use regular TV menu RGB High controls to pre-calibrate 109% (keep one channel at the default position, reduce the other two channels only).

When you have 124 nits @ 109% White, let's say by using R High 0, G High -6, B High -15, then restore these controls to 0.0.0 and start the 3D LUT profiling.

This trick will determine which OLED light will provide you 124 nits in post-calibration.

You will do this as we don't want the problematic regular TV menu to have active processing, so ColourSpace and the 3D LUT will fix these issues.

Author stuart_p
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 15 Sep 2020 23:39 
Hi Ted, thanks for the useful information. Especially the HDMI diagnostics. I did try the deep colour settings with the BMD MM but it made no difference. It's very much a lottery with these screens now. If I can get hold of a screen to do further tests then I'll post it.

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#8 | Posted: 16 Sep 2020 14:10 
Hi Stuart,

I have checked with a CX and DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K.

I can get 2160p24 RGB with 10 or 12bit, according to HDMI Diagnosis Hidden feature.

BTW LG's have 2 SDR LUTs, for SDR 2020 and SDR 709.

I will release a newer version of Template, which supports that.

But you have to send SDR2020 signaling before enabling calibration using DeviceControl.

Send me here:

https://displaycalibrations.com/contact_us.html

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 LG CX 1D and 3D factory reset

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0