| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Issues working with QLED TV

Author Lentash
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 22 Feb 2020 02:03 
Greetings,
I am new to calibration (just tinkering and learning currently). I'm using ZRO with a windows laptop connected via hdmi and a Colormunki Display. I have been able to test a 2010 plasma tv and a Quick Test looks pretty accurate. However when doing the test on a 2019 Samsung QLED tv it is all over the place. Does anyone have any experience using Lightspace with a qled tv?

Thanks for your time.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 22 Feb 2020 03:25 
We would need to see what you mean by 'all over the place'.
The profiling report for example.

But, we really do not recommend the Colormunki, as it is not really viable for display calibration.
The i1Display Pro is the minimum we would recommend.

However, that is not likely to be the issue. It would just be 'less accurate', rather than give really bad results.
It is more likely the display settings are not correct for pre-calibration setup.
Have you read the 'Pre-Calibration Setup' user guide on this website?

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Lentash
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 22 Feb 2020 04:09 
Hi Steve!
Yeh I am just learning right now to see if I get it and like it, if so I'll get a better probe and license the software. Just don't want to spend a lot of money upfront and then end up abandoning it like learning Spanish lol

I've gone through the Idiot's guide (including the pre-calibration). It's a great article. But unless I've overlooked something i'm still not sure why the quick profile looks as bad as it does.

- Connected laptop via hdmi and set output in intel display properties to Full Range
- Extended display to TV, and changed the black level from Auto to Low.
- Turned on Input Signal Plus for the hdmi input, and disabled all extra processing (contrast enhancer, etc)
- Let the probe and tv warm up for 20 mins.

Settings

d

b

a

c

e

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 22 Feb 2020 04:13 
You must link directly to images, so ending with .jpg, or .png, etc...

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Lentash
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 22 Feb 2020 04:23 
Steve
You're too quick, saw it before i fixed it.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 23 Feb 2020 02:23 
Ok - that helps.

Basically, the TV is badly set up.
If you look at the Gamma graph you can see an issue with some type of ABL kicking in, and potentially the TV is clipping, or has a serious gamma issue.
(Difficult to know without seeing the Clipping graph, and DifGamma graph.)

Also, best not to use BURST mode, as that was depreciated some time back.
(AIO, or either of the Freq./Period modes, in conjunction with Intelligent Integration - See the i1D3 user Guide info: https://www.lightillusion.com/i1_display_pro.html - bottom of the page)

And you do not need the 'Active Probe' populated, as you are ot performing probe matching.
(Not that it will make any difference at all.)

And I would use Intelligent Integration, set to about 1 nit.

As there isn't a preset for QLED using Generic will be ok, but it may be that a setting such a PH-Phosphor will be better?
That would need to be looked into.
(Again, the differences in the actual profiling will be minimal, but is why using a Spectro to match the Tristimulus to is always preferable.)

And depending on the patch generator you are using, setting 16-235 is likely not right.
(But it does depend on the TPG you are using.)

But, in reality, the main issues are TV setup.
The TV is just having 'brightness/gamma' issues, due to something like ABL...
(Setting peak brightness lower will likely help.)
Plus using Intelligent Integration for low-light readings will provide more measurement accuracy/stability.

And then you may need to use Drift compensation, as well as Stabilisation patches while profiling...

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Lentash
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 24 Feb 2020 04:58 
Thanks Steve!

I removed the Active probe, set Intelligent Integration to on and 1, and reset the Patch Scale to 0-255 (I am using the build in Lightspace generation). I also used Period instead of Burst. Definitely seems to have helped

1 1
1 1
1 1
1 1
1 1

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 25 Feb 2020 01:52 
Mmmm - the sharp kink at 35%(ish) on Gamma (and other graphs) shows a bad reading.
No idea why though - PC freeze on patch generation?
And the smaller kink at 60%(ish) shows there is still an ABL type issue with the display.
and the roll-off at the top of the graph shows there is still some highlight issue - clipping type error.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Omardris
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 25 Feb 2020 14:08 
@Lentash
Your measurement shows an error, which I get even if the delay time for the Pattern display is not quite sufficient.
Please test to set "Extra Delay Time" to 0.25 or 0.5 Sec.
Peter

Author Lentash
ZRO
#10 | Posted: 26 Feb 2020 05:58 
So after reading more threads online I had a laundry list of things to try. My current primary issue is that every reading I take (even just luminance) is vastly different each time. I tried using the default patch size, as well as reducing it to just the size of the probe, which both had the issue. Then I tried expanding it to fill the entire screen which seems to do the trick, as now it is consistent on each read and the CR is more what I expect.

A Piccy
A Piccy
A Piccy

I reread the dummy's guide today and it looks like the next part after brightness and contrast is setting the gamma, however there is no fine tuning 2.2 (BT1886 you get a basic slider but that is all). The main adjustments options are a 2 point and 20 point WB, and a Color Space section to adjust RGB on each primary and secondary color). Still digging through the threads though...

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Issues working with QLED TV

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0