| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

i1Display Pro w i1Pro

Author Tim Horton
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 15 Jan 2020 20:50 
Hi there,

I own an i1 Display Pro and will be attempting to calibrate 2 monitors:

1. Panasonic Broadcast monitor fed SDI from decklink mini inside PC (calibration LUT loaded in Resolve) for grading 709 material
2. LG C9 55" (internal 3D LUT) currently just using as a calibrated TV being fed by video card/Apple TV etc not using as a reference monitor but may in the future if I upgrade my decklink

I understand that lightspace now has the EDR(?) to allow the i1 Display to calibrate OLEDs. Beyond that, is there any benefit to using a low-cost spectro like the iPro 2/3/basic/plus to calibrate the i1Display.

I don't think I would ever purchase a CR-250 or similar and there isn't anyone near me that offers a service like that - I'm strictly curious if there is any benefit to having an i1pro. I understand all the caveats of using an internal LUT on the LG etc, just looking for some insight on the i1pro for my own curiosity.

Thanks

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 16 Jan 2020 08:09 
There really is no answer to that.
The EDR is obviously 'generic', as it was not made on your actual LG TV.
But the i1Pro is only 10nm, so not that accurate...

So either 'could' be better than the other, on your specific display.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Tim Horton
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 16 Jan 2020 16:18 
Thanks Steve. I'm pretty new to this calibration stuff and I'm trying to wrap my head around it. My assumption (emphasis on assumption) would be that the lower your Delta-E "the better your calibration" so therefore, if I calibrated with: i1Display pro on its own, i1Display with i1Pro, CR-100 and CR-250, etc etc... You could compare the Delta-E numbers and see which is lower? I'm probably oversimplifying this but I guess what I'm trying understand is what is the real difference between all these options. Is jumping to a CR-100 and CR-250 a 1% improvement? 50%? 2000%? Just like anything else, I would assume a point of diminishing returns. Obviously if you are working on a 300 million dollar movie, you want the best. But what I'm trying to understand is whether or not there is some sort of quantitate way to see the difference between all the calibration hardware options. If not Delta-E, is there something else?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 16 Jan 2020 16:41 
Tim Horton:
there is some sort of quantitative way to see the difference between all the calibration hardware options

The only way is to directly compare the different probes on your specific display...
Different display/probe combinations will perform differently.
But - the more expensive probes will always be better... the amount of improvement will depend on the display.
(And the calibration software, as results with alternate systems are not as good as LightSpace, regardless of the display/probe combination...)

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Tim Horton
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 16 Jan 2020 16:52 
Ok thanks Steve. So, assuming you have Lightspace and 20 different colorimeters/spectrophotometers/spectroradiometers and 1 display. What would you look at to quantitatively say which is giving you the best calibration?

I'm coming at this from the camera perspective:
If you had scenes setup with charts, skintones, overexposed portions, underexposed portions and 9 cameras, you could shoot the scene with all them and then quantitatively say: Camera A can pull this overexposed portion back 3 stops, Camera B cannot capture that really saturated Teal, Camera C has this much rolling shutter when panning etc.

How can you evaluate the the different calibration hardware out there?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 16 Jan 2020 17:13 
You would compare the all combinations to the 'best' probe on the same display, as that will always be the best you can get.
It really is that simple.
As said, the more expensive probes will always be better...

Camera capture is totally different, as you are subjectively comparing results.
You are not technically defining accuracy.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Tim Horton
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 16 Jan 2020 17:53 
Hey Steve, I think maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly. How do you know what the "best" probe is? Surely it's not just the most expensive?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 16 Jan 2020 18:25 
It will be a high end spectro - 2nm - combined with a high-end tristimulus...
And yes, they will be expensive.

Steve
Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 i1Display Pro w i1Pro

Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0