| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
News, Gossip and Rumours Light Illusion Forums / News, Gossip and Rumours /  

Unsolicited ColourSpace User Comments

Page  Page 2 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »

Author Steve

INF
Male
#16 | Posted: 1 Jan 2019 14:48 
Fabio Elia has also used LightSpace to calibrate an LG C8 (still having to uploading the LightSpace LUT into the LG via Calman, due to the LG/Calman restriction), with results that are far better than using Calman alone.

I did a new calibration and was able to upload a Lightspace LUT into the C8 and I can say that it's the first time that I'm more than happy with the picture quality. After so many calibrations and tests I can enjoy watching movies in stunning quality.

You can see his full report HERE.

Again, shows the benefit of using LightSpace, even with the restriction of having to use Calman to upload into the LG display.
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Steve

INF
Male
#17 | Posted: 7 Jan 2019 13:00 
From another user who traded-up from Calman a couple of years ago, but interestingly has only recently spent time comparing calibration results.

I just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying LightSpace.
Although I purchased the license a few years ago, I continued to use Calman for most calibration tasks. Finally, a few months ago, I decided to really dig into and learn the software. I read through every applicable (to me) guide in the support section of your website and I am now realizing just how powerful LightSpace is. Of course you already know this and I fully realize that I am only scratching the surface of the software's capabilities. However, I am at a point now where I am getting excellent consistent results with LightSpace and feel comfortable enough that I only use Calman now for some reporting, pretty graphs, and cross checking results.

The image when watching a well mastered movie is nothing short of incredible.

I hope to soon start doing display calibration professionally in the US NY tri-state area and plan to use LightSpace as my primary software tool. I may still use Calman for some graphs and charts.
Steve Shaw

Author Steve

INF
Male
#18 | Posted: 15 Jan 2019 13:46 
While not a direct quote against a specific alternate calibration system, this quote does go a long way to explaining the superior capabilities of LightSpace:

I did a LUT calibration on an Eizo CG318 today, which I will use to grade a TV feature film at a client's facility starting tomorrow. Great results in just under an hour with LightSpace and the CR-100, using the Eizo's built-in test patches! I'm very happy! My clients never really wanted any LUT calibration done so far, because of "all the hassle" compared to manual calibration (possible bandings, calibration can take hours, risky if the LUT box fails and nobody notices, etc.) and I personally mostly saw bad LUT results when I encountered them on screens calibrated by others, so I shied away from it as well. This stance is finally changing in my mind now. I know I'm preaching to the choir
Steve Shaw

Author Steve

INF
Male
#19 | Posted: 16 Jan 2019 09:45 
Another user, Rob Loney, upgraded from Calman to LightSpace to calibrated his LG TV.

I ran a 21^3 profile w LS using LS connect and a i1d pro. I set up for 120 nits on my LG 55 E8 because my living room is usually lit with 2 or 3 lamps etc.

Anyway, using LS and Teds methods, I was able to achieve an amazing Avg dE2000 of 0.2 in Color Checker etc.

I also wanted to post a brief history of how I got here.

I began originally by obtaining CalMAN Home and an i1d pro and running mobileforge on a galaxy tab s2. I could never achieve good results tho, no matter what. Then I saw results that others were getting by using LightSpace. So I purchased LightSpace LTE but still was having problems (i.e. if I got my greyscale looking good, my colors were whack or vice versa).

Then Steve Shaw of LightSpace referred me to Ted Aspiotis (displaycalibrations.com). Ted had me send him a LS profile run and discovered that my RGB separation was way off. I told him I was using a Samsung tablet and LS Connect and he suggested I try using something else as a PG as he suspected my Samsung was at fault. He was right. So, I purchased Ted's media files to use as a reference test and got good RGB sep results.

Next step, I bought a Firestick 4K and an LG service remote as Ted had suggested and results were now fine. I followed Ted's instructions on how to profile and do display characterization measurements.

Basically, I mostly use CalMAN to upload the lut file to my LG E8 when Im done but most of the calibration took place in LS CMS.

You can see his results HERE.
Steve Shaw

Author Johnvnross
ZRO
#20 | Posted: 21 Jan 2019 21:31 
Luts Luts Luts!!! - That's the reason I bought a LightSpace license to augment my Calman Video Pro subscription.

I was a colorfacts user and their customer service went south - The same happened to caiman - although it's getting better of late.

Steve's customer service is still fab.Seems to be 24/7!! - incredible.

Do I wish I'd spent thousands on LS rather than Calman - Different horses for different courses I think. BOTH please.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#21 | Posted: 17 Mar 2019 09:52 
A quote from an ex-Calman Home Enthusiast user, unhappy with Spectracal killing it off, so purchased LightSpace HTL instead...

I just bought the HTL software package and tried it... and I'm thrilled!
I would like to switch to HTP.
I come from Calman home enthusiast and I don't want to pay for it yet.
What price should I pay for the upgrade?

The user had LightSpace HTL for just 1 week before upgrading to HTP!
(Needless to say, he is now very happy with LightSpace HTP.)
Steve Shaw

Author amir
ZRO
#22 | Posted: 17 Mar 2019 16:40 
The thing that really bugs me about Calman is they are charging Pro level money for something that doesn't even work as well as some free software (let's just say less than satisfactory for a professional software), and then talk to people on AVSForums in a condescending manner like they are giving free handouts and people can't expect them to improve their product in a timely manner just because they have a monopoly with the whole Autocal thing.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#23 | Posted: 25 Mar 2019 07:42 
From a user calibrating a LG C8 TV with the new DeviceControl Template and LightSpace vs. Calman.

I tested the LG template from device control in combination with the latest LightSpace release and could achieve stunning results. At this stage I can say that I really have no need to upgrade to the C9 this year because this is a huge step in picture quality for SDR.

I've never had a better pq before and the combination of the new LG firmware with the LightSpace LUT is beyond everything I achieved before with Calman... Anyone who really wants to get out the best in terms of pq needs to try this. BTW I didn't used Aug data after 3D LUT upload because it messed up the gamma maybe someone else can check that either. My next try will be a 17^3 with LS standard patch sequence and I will not reset 1D LUT I just do a 2p adjustment and will only reset 3D LUT via Device control because that only locks the gamut setting. But not now because for the moment I just want to watch movies without thinking about my calibration and relax.

A full post of the results can be seen HERE
Steve Shaw

Author Steve

INF
Male
#24 | Posted: 11 Apr 2019 08:13 
From a new customer just about to purchase LightSpace:

Just wanted to pass along my thanks for the assistance you have provided me with all of my queries regarding software, hardware, process etc for my intended calibrations of my TVs. Particularly Ted who has been bombarded by me over the past week.

Your customer service has been second to none. You have been a lot more helpful than anyone from Spectracal who seem to be more interested in flogging off their products than really answering questions or providing proper guidance.

Based on all the advice you have provided I am going to try both the LightSpace DPS and HCFR and simply see which one I prefer. To be honest I would like to try Calman as well but without the guarantee of the hardware items I intend buying working with their software I simply can't waste money on something that may offer no value to me.

I will get on to purchasing the I1Display next week once my pay comes through.

I'll also look to get your Pattern Disk, the Raspberry Pi LightSpace PGenerator and the LightSpace Connect app (which runs on my FOXTEL Now box, which is an Android Streaming product for Pay TV here in Australia and I discovered last night supports the app directly - it's similar to your NowTV in the U.K. but android based rather than Roku). Again I just like to have options to toy with and see what I like.

I don't have a UHD Player so I won't get the other HDR disk... I may look at a HDFury device down the track but baby steps for now. And possibly i1Pro2 further down the track.

Again thank you all very much for your help. Your willingness to be helpful rather than purely sales driven is a credit to you and I would happily recommend what you offer over Spectracal purely on your level of Customer Service! It's a credit to you both!
Steve Shaw

Author Steve

INF
Male
#25 | Posted: 4 Nov 2019 14:27 
A recent comment left when updating to the latest LightSpace release, from a well known professional calibrator:

This seems like a pretty groundbreaking update with Volumetric Probe Matching capabilities. I hear those guys at Calman don't have that!
Steve Shaw

Author Steve

INF
Male
#26 | Posted: 16 Nov 2019 20:27 
A very nice comment about the code behind LightSpace:
(Not that I do any of the coding - that's down to the dev. team!)

By the way, you are really an artist of coding. Only 14MB size can work so great, compared to Calman's fat ass.
Steve Shaw

Author Steve

INF
Male
#27 | Posted: 13 Dec 2019 14:16 
From a professional display sales agent.

We are having problems with Calman. A friend of mine who handles Konvision is having problems with his new customer on the Calman. I suggested he switch to LightSpace and I hope you can give his client a helping hand in getting your software working on his pc after he buys your product.
Steve Shaw

Author Steve

INF
Male
#28 | Posted: 21 Dec 2019 13:42 
From a forum post:

...presence of artifacts and banding are visible in the CM LUT, and this is confirmed when viewing relevant patterns and some content. Using the Picture mode with the LS LUT, none of these are visible at all.

The LS is indeed far superior, and in my opinion and with my admittedly limited knowledge on the subject, I can only sumise that this is down to both the flexibility of LS, and the method with which you guys came up with to profile these OLED's.

All in all though, from what I can tell, if you want to use AutoCal to calibrate and get a fairly accurate picture on your TV. Calman is going to work reasonably well provided you ensure you set everything up right and don't just plug your meter in, click next and hope for the best.

But if you crave accuracy and are willing to put a little time into learning at least the fundamental basics behind calibration, then LightSpace is indeed far superior and this is undenyable.

The original post, and the whole discussion regarding issues with Calman calibration LUTs, can be seen <a href="https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/3042154-2019-lg-oled-calibration-user-settings-no-price-talk-42.html#post58986154" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">here</a>.
Steve Shaw

Author Steve

INF
Male
#29 | Posted: 17 Jan 2020 10:26 
This comment is one we get from a lot of our users, and is something we are very proud of.

One thing that I very much appreciate about Light Illusion is how quick you act upon reported issues/problems and how fast they are addressed. That's really very impressive.
Steve Shaw

Author Steve

INF
Male
#30 | Posted: 11 Feb 2020 21:01 
From a LightSpace HTP user that traded-up from Calman a few years back, and has made his ColourSpace advanced purchase already.

"Just wanted to share with you the great grayscale results I have been getting on my JVC DLA-RS540 using Hybrid Mode.
I have not manually adjusted ANY of the points- this is all the native LUT upload to the Radiance. I am not sure what would qualify as reference grayscale performance, but I have to believe this is pretty close- especially for a consumer level front projector.
I rarely use Calman now and haven't even renewed my maintenance in the past year. Can't wait for ColourSpace!"
Steve Shaw

Page  Page 2 of 9:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next » 
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
News, Gossip and Rumours Light Illusion Forums / News, Gossip and Rumours /
 Unsolicited ColourSpace User Comments

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0