| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Auto-Iris Mitsubishi Dlp

Author njfoses
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 18 Jan 2014 22:13 
I have been a Calman user for a long time now with an i1pro spectro. My current display is a mits dlp model WD73835 which unfortunately has an auto-iris that cannot be turned off. The display has horrible linearity in regards to color tracking at various saturation levels which makes calibrating color via the built in cms controls useless. I can get grayscale pretty accurate via the service menu controls and using apl patterns on the avs 709 cal disc. I have been thinking about jumping into the world of 3D LUT's with either Calman, i1display pro and a lumagen or LightSpace HCL with an i1display pro, eeColor box and Ted's disc played back via my ps3. My main concern is that due to the auto-iris i will never have an accurate calibration (similar to the abl issue with plasma?" I can live with a less than perfect calibration if I can have my color issues corrected. I would hate to invest which for me is a decent amount of $$ for little to no improvement. I have no desire to replace the display for a few more years. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 18 Jan 2014 22:37 
Hi - as you say auto-iris is a lot like ABL, and if you treat it the same you should get acceptable results - possibly even very good results.

We do have a lot of users with similar technology displays, and all have reported 'good' results using this approach.

What I would suggest is using the free DPS version of LightSpace, with your existing i1 Pro, and doing a full profile.
Then send us the profile to look at and we can let you know what we think final calibration is likely to be like.

That should give you a realistic answer as to what to expect.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author njfoses
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 18 Jan 2014 22:41 
Steve
Steve:
Hi - as you say auto-iris is a lot like ABL, and if you treat it the same you should get acceptable results - possibly even very good results.

We do have a lot of users with similar technology displays, and all have reported 'good' results using this approach.

What I would suggest is using the free DPS version of LightSpace, with your existing i1 Pro, and doing a full profile.
Then send us the profile to look at and we can let you know what we think final calibration is likely to be like.

Steve

Thanks for the reply. Are there any written instructions on how to do what you suggested? I am totally comfortable with Calman, but have never used LightSpace. I also have to replace my dmd chip, so while i have the light engine apart i am going to see if i can disable the auto iris as well.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 18 Jan 2014 22:57 
There are a number of User Guides and Manuals on the website (see the menu items at the top of the page), but you'll also find we are very helpful with support, as are our other users that post here - so feel free to ask any questions
Steve Shaw

Author Harry
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 19 Jan 2014 17:52 
Hi njfoses,

let me say - LightSpace in combination with a Radiance 20xx or mini as LUT holder could be a really great solution for your Mitsu's non-linearity.

First I thought, the WD 73835 is a PJ, but no, it's a DLP projection HDTV ...

As Steve wrote - kind of auto iris / ABL is toxic for every calibration. So maybe the Radiance VarSizeAPL test pattern mode could help you, as other guys like to use that for Plasma TV's.

Btw - did you check the service manual
http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/V39_Service_Manual.pdf
if there is any chance to get the "auto iris" disabled?

Author njfoses
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 19 Jan 2014 18:03 
Harry:
Hi njfoses,

let me say - LightSpace in combination with a Radiance 20xx or mini as LUT holder could be a really great solution for your Mitsu's non-linearity.

First I thought, the WD 73835 is a PJ, but no, it's a DLP projection HDTV ...

As Steve wrote - kind of auto iris / ABL is toxic for every calibration. So maybe the Radiance VarSizeAPL test pattern mode could help you, as other guys like to use that for Plasma TV's.

Btw - did you check the service manual
http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/V39_Service_Manual.pdf
if there is any chance to get the "auto iris" disabled?

Yea i have the manual, thanks though. I have unplugged the auto iris cable from the light engine and the iris now seems to be disabled! One thing that was a bit strange now is that the contrast setting from 6-55 had barely any effect on light output. Once i got below 6 light output finally started decreasing. This has to be due to unplugging the iris. I see you recommended the Lumagen boxes. I was leaning towards the eeColor box since i dont need the scaling features of the Lumagen and i can use Ted's disc via my ps3 for calibration.

Author njfoses
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 19 Jan 2014 21:36 
Steve:

Steve

Steve, i had some time to play around with the lightspace demo today. I sent you an email.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 19 Jan 2014 22:24 
Just reading now - will get back to you as soon as I can!

Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Auto-Iris Mitsubishi Dlp

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 1 [ justints ]
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0