| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

SpaceMatch DCM - cand we use it on mac?

Author Margus
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 10 Sep 2013 08:57 
Hi.

I wonder how would it be possible to get my GUI monitors to show something that is calibrated to rec709 on my mac.

It seems likely that SpaceMach work on pc only ?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 10 Sep 2013 10:58 
Margus
You would need to use SpaceMan ICC and convert a calibration LUT from LightSpace into an ICC profile.
The use the ICC profile within the Mac.

We can do a good discount on SpaceMan ICC

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Margus
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 10 Sep 2013 11:22 
Oh yes i saw the pricing

Author Margus
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 10 Sep 2013 12:02 
But how you set up your path to calibrate then ?

I have min display port connection on monitor. Then i would need to feed it from LS machine with cable conversion like hdmi to display port etc?

What i mean that the procedure is the same but signal paths just runs from LS laptop?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 10 Sep 2013 12:09 
You use the Java App that comes with LightSpace.
That runs on the Mac, and you connect the LightSpace PC via Ethernet network.

All explained on the website - look for Network Manager info.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Margus
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 10 Sep 2013 12:10 
Ok i will look for the Java app. Network i know how to use i assume.

Author redisred
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 11 Sep 2013 19:26 
I too am curious about this, I've looked at Spaceman ICC a little and it seems like I could create color calibrations in Lightspace, convert them to ICC's and use them on the mac side. For a mac laptop screen this would be great! Would this work? Use Spacematch DCM in Boot Camp to make sure no profiles are in use 2. create calibration lut with lightspace 3. convert to ICC in Spaceman ICC 4. Load that ICC profile into the mac

Also, for calibrating a LUT capable display with Lightspace and using it on the mac side, could I load the LUT into the monitor and then use some sort of null ICC profile in the mac so there's no conflict? Or would I choose the space I calibrated the monitor to as my working space on the mac?

Thanks for all you do Steve! I'm clearly in over my head but this is all such a fun rabbit hole.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 11 Sep 2013 19:29 
I have to say all you have outlined there should work exactly as you have suggested - so I don't think you are in over your head!

That is indeed they type of workflow SpaceMan ICC is for!

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author redisred
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 11 Sep 2013 19:43 
Great thanks! So would the null icc or the corresponding color space icc be the one to use on the mac side with a monitor with a lut loaded in?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#10 | Posted: 11 Sep 2013 20:07 
Yep - that's correct

(You have got the hang of this!!!)
Steve Shaw

Author Teo
ZRO
#11 | Posted: 5 Oct 2013 09:06 
How would you create null ICC? With null ICC you "bypass" os x ICC and after profiling put in your calibration ICC. all that without boot camp and spacematch DCM... I should try this soon!

Author arielwollinger
ZRO
#12 | Posted: 24 Sep 2015 18:21 
Have you guys successfully calibrated the Macs in question? I am having a hard time making the process work. I have a portable Surface PC , where my Lightillusion software is installed. I use this computer ,hooked to the same network as the macs and the Java client application, to generate the patches on the mac display. I created a bypass lut and loaded it on the monitor ( a Dell u2711b ). Next I fired up the calibration sequence using my i1 Display probe. I did a quick profile with primaries and secondaries first. Then I loaded the lut I created for Rec709 and my profile into Spaceman, and made a ICC profile. I selected the profile type as Display, the RGB space as sRGB and enabled "Build VCGT tag" option on the import 3D lut menu. I hit apply Cube, then changed thePrimary platform to Macintosh and placed the name of my lut in the profileDestricionTag tag. The result was a image with a lot of blue cast in it. I have no idea how to fix this...

Help is well come.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#13 | Posted: 25 Sep 2015 08:04 
Hi Ariel.
As we have been discussing ICC profile can be very awkward - especially for Macs.
There are a couple of issues you do need to remember.

OS (desktop) calibration can only be performed with VCGT 1D LUTs via the graphics card/graphics chip set.
As VCGT are 1D they can only manage grey scale (colour balance), and cannot manage Gamut (saturation).

To manage Gamut with ICC profiles you have to be using a graphics program (like Photoshop) that is ICC compliant.
Most film and TV programs stay well away from ICC Profiles as they are exceptionally difficult to use, and inaccurate when compared to 'normal' 3D LUT calibration.

(Any calibration that has options such as Black Level Compensation just can't be accurate...)

Beyond that, the ICC profile has to have the correct 'TAGS' active for the different application it is to be used for - Different Classes, Profile Type, LUT Type, etc...

It is a real minefield.

Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 SpaceMatch DCM - cand we use it on mac?

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0