| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Different color profiles and monitor setup

Author Margus
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 5 Sep 2013 17:22 
I wonder what should be for monitor setup for different color profiles.

I usually need to work with rec709 (also for web) and for broadcast EBU (601 for PAL SD).

What i mean is if the White point monitor brightness etc differ?

For 709 should brightness be 80-120 cd/m2, wb 6500k and gamma 2.35 for europe.

How should be EBU parameters for that ?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 5 Sep 2013 17:49 
To be honest, the variations are just so small as to not really be worried about.

There is a small gamut change between Rec709 and CCIR601, so you could take that into consideration if you want.
But, most just use Rec709 - which technically is not correct, but...

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Margus
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 5 Sep 2013 17:59 
But if i make 2 profiles and use them accordingly for different output then it should be more precise?

I'm after that as i see here local production material on tv and some adaptations that come from different countries
and they do look different. Local ones tend to be washed somehow more. As i play with Eizo standard profiles "which i know are not accurate"
i see rather big jump in gamma.

It would also be more precise to bill client for web and tv version grading separately even if the 601 is readjusted 709 so to say.

This is why i'm looking what parameters should my display be calibrated after.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 5 Sep 2013 18:16 
Yep, if you profile the display and make calibration LUTs for the different colour spaces you will be more accurate.

Or, make a LUT to convert between the colour spaces, and use that when making the deliverables.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Margus
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 5 Sep 2013 18:21 
Ok but how would that work with Eizo.

Can user upload many calibration LUTs to monitor?

In menu CG246 has Mode option and from there one could select different profiles so to say. I assume effectively different luts?

So i could profile once and also make different luts uploaded and then afterwards just select from menu which LUT profile to use?

Sorry my endless questions, i have so much to learn still

Author Teo
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 5 Sep 2013 20:29 
Margus,
maybe it helps understand, I use rec709 celibrated displays (20" HD CRT, 50" plasma, 23" CinemaDisplay) when I am doing DVD and PAL deliveries (rec601) from HD projects (rec709) I use color space conversion LUT gammut goes from rec709->rec601, gamma should stay 2.2 but from experiences PAL, DVD and similar deliveries apear more correct with gamma 2.35. So I am grading all in gamma 2.2 (even DCI stuff) than convert gamma for specific deliveries with LightSpace LUTs.

If you think like what is the native/best gamma of your display (you want your equipment to perform as best it can), than convert it for deliveries. And gamma 2.2 should be the standard for sRGB and Rec709!

This works great for me!

Author Margus
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 6 Sep 2013 13:43 
Ok i'm a bit confused here about the exact workflow.

You do quick profiling or full calibration / then you do colour space conversion / but how you load that to Eizo ?

Author Margus
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 6 Sep 2013 14:35 
Ok i figured it out. User error :D

In monitor menu one can choose which usb work with which input.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#9 | Posted: 7 Sep 2013 12:17 
Great - well done
Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Different color profiles and monitor setup

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0