| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

3D Cube and Hybrid 1D + 3D

Author alex_t
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 29 Aug 2013 21:30 
Hello.

What are the differences between 3D Cube and Hybrid 1D + 3D ?

Thanks

Regards
Alexandre

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 29 Aug 2013 21:54 
Hi Alex,

A hybrid cube is more like a 'better' Quick Profile'.
A full 17^3 profile is the best to use.
But, if the display is nice and linear (good response to input stimulus and has good RGB Separation) a Hybrid can work well.

Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author alex_t
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 29 Aug 2013 22:06 
Thanks Steve.

If I well understood, to make a profile and to make a 3D LUT are two different things. For example with my Lumagen Radiance which is limited at 5^3 points for its 3D LUT, I can make a 17^3 profile to have the best display characterisation, am I right ?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 29 Aug 2013 22:10 
Yep - totally correct!

Steve Shaw

Author alex_t
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 29 Aug 2013 22:20 
Thanks Steve.

And finally if the 17^3 profile showed that my display had good response to input stimulus and had good RGB Separation (but I think it will be not the case) then for the next calibration I could use an Hybrid profile to, I guess, save time.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 29 Aug 2013 22:35 
A Quick Profile will normally be enough to show what the display is like.
I would do that first, and then decide if a full profile is going to be an improvement or not.

Steve Shaw

Author alex_t
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 29 Aug 2013 22:37 
ok, thanks

Author Vassily
ZRO
Male
#8 | Posted: 30 Aug 2013 08:23 
Hi Steve,
Hi Alex,

Does the hybrid 1D + 17^3 profile have any advantages vs. simple 17^3 cube?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#9 | Posted: 30 Aug 2013 09:05 
It may... but, it's very unlikely it will, as few probe/display combinations can benefit from the increase in granularity of values measured...

I would stick with standard 17^3 profiles.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Harry
ZRO
#10 | Posted: 31 Aug 2013 13:51 
Hi Steve

Steve:
A hybrid cube is more like a 'better' Quick Profile'.
A full 17^3 profile is the best to use

To be honest, until now I've never used the "3D Cube" mode, because I thought, "Hybrid 1D + 3D" includes the full "3D Cube" + in addition the grayscale profiling ("1D" part) ... ?

In conclusion, the "3D Cube" mode need's more time to get finished because there are more patches to be measured?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#11 | Posted: 31 Aug 2013 15:11 
Hybrid does indeed include the 3D Cube mode.
But, its real application is to allow smaller 3D Cube profiling (say 10^3) in combination with a larger 1D profile set.

When you get to a 17^3 Cube profile size the benefits are negligible.
And unless you have a very, very good probe, that can read shadow detail well, you may actually introduce errors in the profile.
You wont see such errors in the final LUT as LightSpace uses some very special algorithms to deal with such reading errors.

But, there will be no benefit in the calibration compared to a standard 17^3 profiel.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Harry
ZRO
#12 | Posted: 31 Aug 2013 17:27 
Steve:
But, its real application is to allow smaller 3D Cube profiling (say 10^3) in combination with a larger 1D profile set.

Yepp! So since using the pretty fast K10-A, I do 17^3 measurements only ... and next time I could select "3D-Cube" also, because Hybrid won't give a better profile base for the final LUT.

For others: Taking the entire measurement time into account when using a slow probe, performing a 10^3 Hybrid mode could be a good balance between accuracy and profile processing time, to get an adequately good display profile with the high 20 pt grayscale grading of the "3D Cube" setting.

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 3D Cube and Hybrid 1D + 3D

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0