| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Grading Light Illusion Forums / Grading /  

Which monitor to use with eeColor?

Author sarumbear
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 30 Jun 2016 12:44 
Hello

After winding down our production company and selling our post-production equipment we decided to have a home office post-production suite with grading facility for TV only. We don't have a large budget but I do realise that

a) I need LI CMS,
b) an external LUT box, which my budget limits to the eeColor and finally,
c) a decent monitor that can display rec.709 as good as possible within our budget range, which is up to UK£1000.

I like to hear views of the forum members on what monitor we should buy.

As a side note, we had tried the HP Z27x and didn't like it. There is a green tint on everything, which is very distracting. HP sent another monitor but it had the same issue. Meanwhile, it turned out to be that HP support is a huge joke. We would not have opted for HP monitors for the support (or lack of) only but the green tint is a deal breaker.

Many thanks

Riza

Author sarumbear
ZRO
#2 | Posted: 22 Jul 2016 16:20 
Is this a dead forum or am I asking a stupid question?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#3 | Posted: 22 Jul 2016 16:28 
No, the forum is not at all dead - but you have asked a question to which there is no answer...

The only monitors that anyone would suggest would be a viable professional monitor - FSI for example.
Any other 'monitors', especially those at the low end of the market are down to you profiling the monitor to see what it can do.
The same monitor is not the same - the manufacturers change too any things on a regular basis for any one cheap monitor to remain stable as a guaranteed option.

As you found out, the HP Dreamcolor is not a good monitor, although all the 'marketing' suggests otherwise.
(This has been discussed in some depth here, and on the LGG forums)

Personally, I think Eizo are worth looking at.

But, beyond that it really is a Crap Shoot.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author sarumbear
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 22 Jul 2016 21:43 
I do not understand how my question has no answer?

You have a guide to calibrate certain Eizo Monitors that have inbuilt LUT facility. Wouldn't then an Eizo monitor without inbuilt LUT facility connected to a eeColor LUT Box, that you sell, should also be an answer to my question?

In fact you have ended your post with that exact advise. So there was an answer!

Maybe we can start again with me asking what Eizo model(s) that I should be looking at, given the fact that they have various ranges?

Author sarumbear
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 14 Aug 2016 15:34 
I am really disillusioned with the lack of support in this forum. At least you guys can show me what I am doing wrong?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 14 Aug 2016 16:44 
Sorry, but as said before you are asking an impossible question.

All displays have different capabilities, even models from the same manufacturer range.

The only way to be certain is to run a profile and verify the actual display yourself.

The high-end displays, with inbuilt calibration capability linked to LightSpace, are easier to comment on as we directly integrate with them.

But, looking for a display to calibrate via an external LUT box means looking at lower end displays, of which there are many - too many for us to comment on.

You will have to do your own profiling.

I hope that makes sense.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Grading Light Illusion Forums / Grading /
 Which monitor to use with eeColor?

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0