Forums

Light Illusion is renowned for the level of support it provides to all its customers, and strives to provide an unmatched level of assistance.

These forums are provided to enable open discussions on all aspects of the Film and TV industry.

| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics |
Grading Light Illusion Forums / Grading /

Ho to understand on what color space my LUT has been designed?

Author frencx
Mono
#1 | Posted: 10 May 2014 19:12 
Hi there,
I have got from a LAB a LUT .3dl 16x Mesh point which is supposed to be used for generating dailies. I'm wondering to know if this LUT has been made for a 709 or a P3 gamut. Is there any way to understand it though LightIllusion? (I don't trust the person said that it's 709).

If it's P3, can I add a P3 to 709 conversion at the end of my grading node (LOG- GRADING - P3 LUT - P3 to 709) and make it work for my dailies 709 environment ?

Best,
Luigi

Author Steve
Scene
#2 | Posted: 10 May 2014 19:27 
The simplest approach is to use a display of known colour space - say Rec709 - and then look at a known image through the LUT.
The image needs to be from a source the LUT was made to work with - images from the camera used on the production.

You will quickly be able to tell if the images look correct or not.
If for a P3 display the images on the Rec709 display will look over saturated.
You can then use LightSpace CMS to concatenate the LUT you have with a P3 to Rec709 LUT to correct the LUT.

Steve

Author frencx
Mono
#3 | Posted: 11 May 2014 10:41 
Thanks a lot!

Grading Light Illusion Forums / Grading / Ho to understand on what color space my LUT has been designed? Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

(?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 316 [5 Feb 2020 22:54]
Guests - 316 / Members - 0

© Light Illusion - All rights reserved - Privacy Notice