| Forums | Polls | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics |
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /   

Lightspace - Sony VPL-HW55ES, Lumagen 2020 and XRite iD3

Author wl1
User - Mono 
#1 | Posted: 7 May 2020 13:48 
My previous calibration experience was with HCFR on Plasma TV and HD projectors only. I also tried eecolor and DisplayCAL LUT's calibration before settling on Gordon calibrating a Lumagen 2020 with Lightspace.

I have now purchased Lightspace, so looking for some pointers. I have been advised to start with Lightspace (rather than Colourspace) to understand LUT based calibrations and get started.

I have an Oppo and a basic HTPC connected through the Lumagen to my Sony 55 projector. This HTPC has Lightspace, Lumagen and Sony Director Image Director 3 sw. I do not have a separate monitor - is this required ? HCFR disappears into background when calibrating - but messing about so far - I just get the small test pattern popping up to the side with Lightspace.

I need to understand my Lumagen some more - before reseting my existing settings, I then intend to follow this from Ted

1) Generate from LightSpace and upload a UNITY Sony table using ImageDirector to your Sony Internally. (if you license level don't allow to click ''file->new'', then use that UNITY)

2) Upload UNITY to Lumagen also 1D/3D), set output as YCbCr 4:2:2 12bit.

2) Measure the grayscale and check then with Contrast/Brightness patterns (not the ones Lumagen generate, but use Contrast/Brightness patterns from your source, check a color clipping patterns also). I have Teds Patterns - assume these are OK.

3) Use lens aperture and RGB gain controls while you will display a 100% White patch using Calibration Interface, to get 48-50 nits calibrated while you will reduce RGB gains values, keeping one colorchannel at zero and reducing the other 2. I am only doing SDR - I think Low Lamp mode nits will be less than this - 30 NIYS ok?

(Measure the available color temp with simple grayscale measurements and choose the one that you see it has less RGB balance errors, then do the same with gamma presets, select the one that it a bit brighter from your target (primary) gamma preset...for example if your main target is 2.4 gamma, select one preset that you see the lines in diff gamma chart to be over the black line, or press the Show data to see the average gamma of each grayscale run, 2.3 - 2.35 will be fine.

When you will finish this, you will have 48-50 nits calibrated, so this define your required peak output target. So now restore back the RGB-Gain controls to zero....we will let the internal LUT of Sony to apply the RGB balance/gamma calibration.

4) Measure with LightSpace and Grayscale Large (which will take 33-Point Grayscale) and generate a colorspace conversion, then upload it via Sony ImageDirector and measure with Grayscale Large. (check a grayscale ramp to see that gradation is fine) - Is there any online viedos of a Lumagen/Lightspace calibration - I am not sure where these options and start point settings are within Lightspace.

5) Measure with Grayscale Large as verification, if you see that there space for improvement, then use that new GS data as Aug data, adding the new GS data to the first GS data, in the ColorSpace Manager window, so the first GS profile will become profile+ ... then using that new file, convert a new colorspace correction (tick Aug radio button), export and upload a new 1D LUT. I am not clear on these instructions either - not an experienced LS user

Then verify with measurements that you see improvement over the first 1D LUT you uploaded. (check a grayscale ramp pattern also)

6) Check contrast/brightness again, to see if the uploaded 1D LUT was OK.

7) Move to display characterization, and when you will generate the colorspace conversion, upload it to your Lumagen. Same here - and - is it the intention to use the Test Patterns of the Lumagen?

8) Verify the post results, using Lumagen.
-------------------------------------------------------------
I know these are silly questions, but its where I am at coming from HCFR many years back. AND not wanting to make my projector / Lumagen worse!

Thanks for any pointers.....

Author gordonF
User - Mono 
#2 | Posted: 8 May 2020 13:17 
I think i answered most of your queries in the other place. Just make a back up and you will always beable to go to where you are. LightSpace only resets or writes over the CMS in use. follow Teds guide to do internal cal of the PJ if you want then do the big profile of the pj to create the LUT for the lumagen. The step by step guides on the LightIllusion site are good..

Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Lightspace - Sony VPL-HW55ES, Lumagen 2020 and XRite iD3

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

(?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 264 [6 Jun 2020 12:02]
Guests - 264 / Members - 0