Forums

Light Illusion is renowned for the level of support it provides to all its customers, and strives to provide an unmatched level of assistance.

These forums are provided to enable open discussions on all aspects of the Film and TV industry.

| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics |
Digital Cinematography Light Illusion Forums / Digital Cinematography /

Film output question

Author Nickz
Mono
#1 | Posted: 28 May 2019 10:41 
Dear Steve,

I have a question about the correct way to create Cineon DPX output for film print from rec.709 project.
Recently I've graded a feature in rec.709 pipeline using Davinci YRGB color space. I have no problem
creating DCP and rec.709 masters from my grade, but I also need to make a film printing version (this is a necessity for the state fund for supporting cinema). Although most likely this version will never be used for printing/screening, I need to do this and I would like to understand the most accurate way to do this.

Technical requirements are: DPX Log (SMPTE 268M-2003/268M-1994) 10-bit RGB, Cineon Log Printing Density (0-2.046).

Is there any chance to create a correct rec.709 - Cineon Log transform using LightSpace ?

Author Steve
Scene
#2 | Posted: 29 May 2019 16:54 
Hi Nick - different film out operations often require different source footage, depending on their specific workflow.
If is quite normal for them to offer a Rec709 direct film output.

But, a Cineon Log image is basically just a gamma change, with the same Rec709 gamut.
You can generate that with the LUT Manipulation - Vid->Log - tools within LightSpace.

Steve

Digital Cinematography Light Illusion Forums / Digital Cinematography / Film output question Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

(?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 5
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 316 [5 Feb 2020 22:54]
Guests - 316 / Members - 0

© Light Illusion - All rights reserved - Privacy Notice