| Forums | Register | Reply | Polls | Search | Statistics |
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Using DaVinci Resolve for "Display LUT"?

Author wiski15b
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 29 Aug 2016 13:57 | Edited by: wiski15b 
Hey everyone,
How can I use DaVinci Resolve to act as my my display calibration LUT device, rather than purchasing external hardware to load my LUT's and calibrate the whole display? Would I load the LUT into Resolves "timeline colorspace", or use the "input LUT" or what? Basically I am trying to calibrate my monitor with a LUT, and use that LUT in Resolve as a "display LUT" instead of having to purchase any more hardware....

Thanks,
Ron

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 29 Aug 2016 14:06 
You use the 'Output LUT' capability of Resolve for Display Calibration.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author wiski15b
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 30 Aug 2016 21:43 
Not the 3d Video Monitoring LUT?

Thanks again Steve!

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 30 Aug 2016 21:57 
Yep, same thing

1D/3D Video Monitor Lookup Table: Two pop-up menus let you add 1D and/or 3D LUTs
that process the current Timeline after every other image processing operation in DaVinci
Resolve. However, Display LUTs are only temporarily applied for purposes of monitoring;
they're never applied to rendered media, or to the signal that is output to tape using the
controls in the Deliver page. Display LUTs are particularly valuable for applying a film
print emulation LUT in a Log workflow, or for applying a monitor calibration LUT if you're
outputting to a single display and you don't have dedicated outboard calibration hardware.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author wiski15b
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 30 Aug 2016 22:09 
Steve
Awesome thanks Steve.

Author Willian Aleman
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 6 Jun 2018 02:14 
Steve:
Display LUTs are only temporarily applied for purposes of monitoring;
they're never applied to rendered media, or to the signal that is output to tape using the
controls in the Deliver page. Display LUTs are particularly valuable for applying a film
print emulation LUT in a Log workflow, or for applying a monitor calibration LUT if you're
outputting to a single display and you don't have dedicated outboard calibration hardware.

Steve

This is interesting: if what we are seeing in our trusted calibrated display is not what is going to be rendered or to be sent at the signal that is output, what is the workaround to at the end of color grading the program we will end having what we see is what we get?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#7 | Posted: 6 Jun 2018 07:40 
Sorry - I don't understand?
If the display is calibrated - however it is calibrated - the graded material will be correct.
There really is no issue.
Just remember to NOT export with the LUT active.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Willian Aleman
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 6 Jun 2018 07:54 
Hi Steve,

I got it. Thanks a lot for your prompt response and clarification.

Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Using DaVinci Resolve for "Display LUT"?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Watch this topic / Get updates by Email
 (?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details when posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 264 [6 Jun 2020 12:02]
Guests - 264 / Members - 0