| Forums | Register | Reply | Polls | Search | Statistics |
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Understanding calibration slots on probes

Author blasetheodore
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 16 Feb 2019 00:04 
My K10A has 14 slots of calibration profiles. I already use an i1pro to generate the offset.

One of the offsets is for a Sony OLED. I'm profiling an LG OLED. I'm setting the white point myself, matched to another display for perceptual matching.

Is there something more to these profiles than a simple white-point offset? (Essentially a baked-in Judd modification?) If its just an offset, is there a reason to use them?

Thanks,
Blase

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 16 Feb 2019 01:56 
The Sony OLED preset is for a RGB OLED.
The LG is WOLED, so is very different.
Therefore, the Sony preset will not work for the LG WOLED.

And no, the presets are not just white offsets, as you can tell when you make one using the Klein software, or us the in-built probe matching within LightSpace.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author blasetheodore
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 16 Feb 2019 03:56 
Understood. Thanks Steve. So given the above, what am I losing by not loading a preset into the K10 before profiling?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 16 Feb 2019 04:35 
If you are using the Perceptual approach, you are not loosing anything, as the User Guide should explain.

You do not need any presets with that approach.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author blasetheodore
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 16 Feb 2019 04:59 
Thanks for sticking with me as I wrap my brain around this. Why is that? I don't understand the perceptual approach to be doing anything other than building an alternate white point. So if just that corrected white point is equally effective, then what else is gained by the profile?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#6 | Posted: 16 Feb 2019 05:36 
If you have a full spectrum of data for the WOLED it may be possible to have a better match.

But, due to the non-additive nature of WOLEDs that is unlikely.

So the Perceptual approach is the best you have.

You 'could' do a 4 colour perceptual matching, but human colour perception so not good enough.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Understanding calibration slots on probes

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Watch this topic / Get updates by Email
 (?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details when posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 264 [6 Jun 2020 12:02]
Guests - 264 / Members - 0