| Forums | Register | Reply | Polls | Search | Statistics |
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Profiling and Calibrating an Eizo CG2420

Author alanbrain
ZRO
Male
#1 | Posted: 27 Nov 2020 15:43 
Hi All,

I just bought my first pro monitor, Eizo CG2420 to use with Resolve hooked via HDMI to a BMD mini monitor 4K. 

I have spent hours watching tutorials reading this forum and others and I have started to understand a bit of the complexities of monitor calibration.  After many days of reading, today I decided to do my first profiling. 

Procedure: 
- I let the probe (i1 Display Pro Retail) and the Eizo warm up for an hour.
- I did a calibration with Color Navigator 7 and the i1 Display Pro. I saved the 1D Lut on the monitor. This particular Eizo does not take 3D Luts. 
- I did a profile with the free version of Lightspace and the i1 Display Pro Retail (using Ted drivers) with Resolve. I'm planning to either buy a LTE license or to rent it for 3 days to finish the calibration but, first, I would like to understand if I did something wrong. 

The Delta E numbers after the calibration with Color Navigation seem fine. But the Delta E numbers that Light Space is showing me are really high. So, I would really appreciate some feedback. Maybe I did something wrong? or this monitor can be that off?

You can see the settings and the results from Light Space and CN in the pictures attached. The settings are also listed below.

Eizo CG2420 settings
Color Mode: RGB
Brightness: 100cd/m2Black level: Minimum
Temperature: 6500
Gamma: 2.4
Color Gamut: NativePriority: Fixed
Data Levels: Full
Note: This Eizo has a particular admin menu that allows me to change the mode from "PC" to "Video". I left it in PC as I do not understand what exactly this setting does.

Probe
i1 Display Pro Retail.

Light Space Settings
Colour Target: EBU TEC3320
Calibration Settings: PFS Phosphor

Resolve Settings
Data Levels: Full
Use 4:4:4 SDI - checked

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, 

Alan Brain

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 27 Nov 2020 16:42 
A 1D LUT cannot control gamut (saturation).
So the displays is still wide gamut.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author alanbrain
ZRO
Male
#3 | Posted: 27 Nov 2020 17:20 
Steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for jumping in.

I understand. So, those inconsistencies are related to the 1D Lut in the Eizo not being able to control saturation.

Then, I guess I can go ahead and rent a LTE license. Great news, thanks!

Alan
Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Author alanbrain
ZRO
Male
#4 | Posted: 29 Nov 2020 11:06 | Edited by: alanbrain 
Hi All,

I rented Light Space for 3 days yesterday and I have made some advances calibrating the Eizo CG2420 but the reports I'm getting seem wrong.
This was my workflow:

- The Eizo CG2420 HDMI is in "Video" Mode. I also set input data levels as Full. Input color format is YUV 4:2:2.
- Blackmagic Decklink Mini Monitor is set to "Video is Converted to Y,Cb,Cr,4:2:2" as opposed to "Video is Converted to RGB 4:4:4"
- I tested the chain for problems regarding Data/Full levels, and it seems OK.
- I'm using Ted Drivers to use the i1 Display Pro Retail with Light Space.
- I used Color Navigator to calibrate CAL 3 input in the Eizo to native gamut, 100cd/m2, Black level:minimum, gamma 2.4, Priority: Fixed. This placed a 1D Lut with these parameters in CAL 3 slot in the Eizo.

I did a Primary and Secondary profiling with Light Space, through Da Vinci Resolve, using the CAL 3 Slot. Then, I did a Colour Space conversion and created a LUT. I used that LUT on a second profile adding that 3D LUT as a virtual LUT in Light Space.

This is the PDF of the post calibration profile for HDMI, (Decklink- Eizo HDMI):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GzKlcUXna0bF7KMW8kcGsTDKZ8BOlDTd/view?usp=sharing

Then, just to see if there was any difference, I did the same process with the Display Port input of the Eizo, going through a Blackmagic HD Link Pro, first profile, then a 3D LUT, and then a second profile with the LUT as a virtual LUT.

This is the PDF of the post calibration for Display Port (Decklink SDI- HD Link Pro - Display Port to Eizo)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yhDAkLOqQ07iAu512bNCWTgYhl-BEJ0n/view?usp=sharing

Any help would be greatly welcome.

Thanks,

Alan
Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 29 Nov 2020 12:28 
The results look 'basically' as expected.

But, you have weird Min/Max results.
(Black/White levels.)
That suggests there is something wrong with the signal path...

And that is something you will have to define for yourself, as that cannot be diagnosed remotely.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author alanbrain
ZRO
Male
#6 | Posted: 29 Nov 2020 12:39 
Thanks Steve. I will do a new run. I will do a new check of all the chain to see what can be the problem. Maybe it is related to Video/Full levels.
Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Author alanbrain
ZRO
Male
#7 | Posted: 29 Nov 2020 17:45 
I think I may have found a lead that may point to the problem. If I set up Light Space to a target of 100 nits, and start measuring the Eizo through Resolve. To get to that target, I need to manually set up the brightness of the Eizo to 120 cd/m2.

Any ideas why this may be happening?

Thanks,

Alan
Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 29 Nov 2020 17:55 
The 'Target' colour space/peak brightness settings in LightSpace are actually irrelevant.
They is just for graph plotting, etc, and have no impact on any LUT based calibration.
They do have involvement in manual calibration, obviously.
(This is explained in the User Guides.)

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author stuart_p
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 30 Nov 2020 05:13 
I reckon Steve is right about signal path. Your min/max luminance of 0.21/80.6 have all the hallmarks of legal/full range issue. You are using Y'CbCr and so I think that the CG2420 is seeing this and automatically setting the input to legal levels. You are then profiling with full range. Just set Resolve to Video as normal and profile, shold work fine.

Author alanbrain
ZRO
Male
#10 | Posted: 30 Nov 2020 10:27 
Thanks, Stuart and Steve.

That makes sense.

I just bought a Colour Space LTE license and I'm just learning. There is a lot to learn and I'm sure I will make many mistakes. I would have loved to hire a professional calibrator and learn by watching. But, right now, I am in Rabat, Morocco, and I have not been able to find anybody who does this in a professional level. So, the circumstances have forced me to learn by myself. Ted Aspiotis is helping me to get started with Colour Space. I did a characterization last night. I will report back later.
Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Author nis11
ZRO
Female
#11 | Posted: 2 Dec 2020 12:15 
alanbrain
Hi,

If you are finding any problem in your profiling camera calibration, you can go to the service support to third-party service providers for inspection & calibration.
You can visit https://www.arabcal.com/, check if it will be helpful for you!
Nisha

Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Profiling and Calibrating an Eizo CG2420

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Watch this topic / Get updates by Email
 (?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details when posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 264 [6 Jun 2020 12:02]
Guests - 264 / Members - 0