| Forums | Register | Reply | Polls | Search | Statistics |
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Patch Scale & Resolution

Author Steve

INF
Male
#1 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 20:58 | Edited by: Steve 
The new ColourSpace Patch Scale & Resolution page of the website explains how Legal, Extended, and Full Range settings, as well as Resolution Bit Depth, work with patch generation, and how they can be used in accurate display calibration.

Steve

Resolution
Resolution
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author RollsRoyce
ZRO
#2 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 21:49 | Edited by: RollsRoyce 
Hi, Steve. I use ColourSpace (and LightSpace) for SDR-only calibration via Lumagen Radiance 202x processors. Do any of these changes impact how the software works with them when they are selected as the source? Rather, I should say, does the software still correctly work with the Lumagens with its stock settings?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#3 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 21:54 
I guess that depends on the Resolution bit-depth, and Patch Scale signal range the Lumagen works to...
I think the Lumagen is Legal range only?
If so, that is likely the correct setting.

But I have no idea if it can do 10 bit, or greater Resolution?
However, that would be simple to test and evaluate.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author RollsRoyce
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 4 Mar 2021 21:56 
Thank you. Looks like it's time to dig out the manuals!

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 8 Mar 2021 17:22 | Edited by: Steve 
The Patch Scale & Resolution, page, as well as the Direct Profiling page, of the website have been updated with more specific information how these options work within ColourSpace.

The provided information includes EDID issues, and what to look out for, as well as explaining why, in most situations, 8 bit profiling is all that is required.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Omardris
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 9 Mar 2021 16:08 
Hi,
as Steve has mentioned in several places, don't forget the limited capabilities of the pattern generators and displays in the excitement about the possible higher resolution of the patches.
Lumagen Radiance and DVDO AVlabTPG only accept 8-bit triplets.
The Murideo Six-G is advertised as accepting 10-bit triplets, but at the moment ColourSpace also only supplies it with 8-bit triplets.
Since I found a way that you can send 9-bit triplets, but still looking for the 10th bit.
Only the MadTPG actually supplies 10 bit resolution with the current CS version .
Peter

Author Steve

INF
Male
#7 | Posted: 9 Mar 2021 16:17 | Edited by: Steve 
Omardris:
The Murideo Six-G is advertised as accepting 10-bit triplets, but at the moment ColourSpace also only supplies it with 8-bit triplets.

No, that is not correct.
The SIX-G is advertised as outputting >8 bit triplets.
(The wording on the Murideo website is a tad ambiguous, I agree.)
It can only accept 8 bit input triplets.
The SEVEN can accept >8bit input triplets.

None of the 'TPG limitations' have anything to do with ColourSpace.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Omardris
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 9 Mar 2021 17:00 
Murideo's website states the following as key features of the SIX-G:
"Full 10-bit RGB Triplet Generator (0-1024 RGB)".
Furthermore, preparations have clearly been made for 10-bit input, otherwise you couldn't send 9 bits either. But this was not realized.
I know that has nothing to do with Light Illusion.
Peter

Author Steve

INF
Male
#9 | Posted: 9 Mar 2021 17:04 
The statement "Full 10-bit RGB Triplet Generator (0-1024 RGB)" is basically correct.
The SIX-G will output 10bit, and higher, triplet values - accurately.
But they are limited to 8bit input values, so can only be specified in 255 steps within the specific output bit depth.
That really is not a limitation for calibration, as the Patch Scale & Resolution, page, as well as the Direct Profiling page of the website show.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Patch Scale & Resolution

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Watch this topic / Get updates by Email
 (?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details when posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 264 [6 Jun 2020 12:02]
Guests - 264 / Members - 0