| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Mac OS colorsync & hardware calibration

Author Jonahan
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 26 Apr 2023 17:09 
Let's say I have a Mac (I don't) and a monitor that supports 3D LUT calibration (I do). If my info is correct, Mac Color management cannot be turned off and it forces a display profile to be used all the time, so doesn't that mess with the monitors 3D LUT calibration?

Is the only workaround to create a ICC with no colour management or possibly just delete all ICC profiles from within the Mac like I saw mentioned in a older post?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 26 Apr 2023 19:51 
We have never been able to get any Mac to have a clean output to an external display...
We have tried to generate Null ICC profiles, but have never got them to work in Mac.
And the same with trying to delete them - that's never worked either...
(Both approaches have worked in Windows.)

This is why for any grading work, a real video output card is needed - not the standard graphic card output.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Jonahan
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 27 Apr 2023 11:38 
Steve
That's somewhat surprising, I thought since many of the them are advertised as "designed for Mac", high-end monitors would be able to talk to a Mac to make sure the color management doesn't mess with the hardware calibration.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#4 | Posted: 28 Apr 2023 09:37 
The Mac will try to use the EDID data from the display to apply what it thinks is the correct ICC profile...
Unfortunately, this fails in many situations, especially if the display is hardware calibrated to a standard the EDID data doesn't match/doesn't understand.
Some monitor manufacturers have even developed their own method to try to overcome such issues - BenQ's ICCsync for example.
All this means is getting an external monitor to play nicely with the Mac environment is basically something of a crap-shoot.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Mac OS colorsync & hardware calibration

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0