| Forums | Register | Reply | Polls | Search | Statistics |
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

LightSpace and Radiance Pro 1D LUT

Author Johnbar
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 3 Jul 2018 17:02 
Hello,

I am a little confused by the way LightSpace handles the 1D LUT in the Lumagen Radiance Pro. Perhaps it is a misunderstanding on my part as I am just learning LightSpace trying to transition from Calman.

Basically, I am calibrating the Radiance 1D LUT manually, then running a 17^3 profile in LS (3D only, not 1D + 3D). After the profile completes, I re-check my grayscale. There is some drift in grayscale balance after 2.5 hours (expected as this is a front projector), but still looks very good.

I create the LUT in LighSpace and upload to the Radiance. Now, when I recheck grayscale, it is considerably worse- especially gamma. On checking the Radiance output settings I see the 1D LUT values have all been modified by the LightSpace LUT upload. Is this the expected behavior? I was assuming that the Radiance 1D LUT settings would not be modified by the LightSpace 3D LUT upload. Even more curious why the LightSpace LUT would worsen the grayscale and gamma.

Not sure where I am going wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 3 Jul 2018 17:59 
Hi John - you should not perform a manual 1D LUT first.
When LightSpace 'Uploads' it will overwrite the 1D and 3D LUTs with its own corrections.
As you have profiled through an active 1D LUT already in the Radiance those pre-setup corrections will be lost, so the results will be poor, as the uploaded LUT will not know they were there initially.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Johnbar
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 3 Jul 2018 18:08 
Ah...that makes sense. Thanks for the tip Steve. I was use to the Calman workflow that has the 1D LUT before the 3D. I will re-run the profile and see if I have better results leaving everything at default.

Author Johnbar
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 4 Jul 2018 16:10 
Hi Steve,

That worked perfect. Excellent grayscale and gamma results after I re-ran the profile. The only points I re-adjusted were at the very low end.

Thanks again!

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 4 Jul 2018 16:25 
Great - that is the difference with LightSpace.
The best results tend to be when you let it do its thing.
The low-end will probably be probe limitations.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 LightSpace and Radiance Pro 1D LUT

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Watch this topic / Get updates by Email
 (?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details when posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 264 [6 Jun 2020 12:02]
Guests - 264 / Members - 0