| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

LightSpace for DaVinci Resolve

Author desmondqford
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 3 Sep 2013 13:29 
I was very pleased to learn of Light Space CMS integration with Resolve 10. A few questions...

Does that mean that the GUI can now be used as reference as well?

Is there a special LS CMS version that we need to buy for Resolve or is it the standard full version?

Also, can it be used to build specific color transform LUTs, Matrices exclusively within Resolve?

Thanks!

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 3 Sep 2013 13:37 
Using the GUI has nothing to do with the LightSpace integration - it is all down to the accuracy of the display when calibrated.
Most GUI displays are just not of a good enough quality to be considered accurate for colour work.
But, with LightSpace integration you will be able to profile and verify ANY display connected to Resolve.

There is no special version of LS for Resolve use - the Full LightSpace CMS will work fine.
(The specific versions such as FSI, Home Cinema will not make LUTs for Resolve, but can use Resolve as a patch generator).

LightSpace CMS can be used for any LUT generation, and the LUTs can then be used within Resolve.
No restrictions.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Teo
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 5 Sep 2013 17:28 
I can say I tested the Resolve v10 beta and integration of LightSpace work great! Very pleased my full calibration process will go down from 14 hours to not more than few!

Author Margus
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 9 Sep 2013 15:20 
I wonder how this would work:

Lets say i calibrate my monitor to rec709 (full profiling target conversion etc).

So now i'm working in full 709 and seeing all like it should be but when i want the same timeline to be in 601 for tv delivery
then could i "export" 601 LUT and link it to resolve timeline and see my timeline on 709 monitor as if it was 601 monitor.

Or would i just on export add 601 lut so it only renders to final file ?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 9 Sep 2013 15:27 
You can do either...
You can use a 601 to 709 LUT on a 709 display to show the same images as they would be seen on a 601 display, or use a 709 to 601 LUT to convert the 709 images so they look 'the same' on a 601 display as they do on the 709 display.

Obviously there will be some variation as the two colour spaces are different, but the match will be very good.

Make sense?

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Margus
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 9 Sep 2013 15:40 
Yes it makes. Not sure which way should i go with my Resolve Eizo setup

Trick is that mostly users evaluate work on "computer monitor" that i can not control.
Even now when i look my apple display and Eizos default profiles then the difference is really huge.

So in some sense it would be good idea to use 709 as my main monitoring option and use 601 lut for delivery only ?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#7 | Posted: 9 Sep 2013 15:45 
Yep, I would use 709 and change to 601 via a LUT when needed.
By far the easiest workflow

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Margus
ZRO
#8 | Posted: 9 Sep 2013 15:55 
I just have to get used to it all

It is like heart surgery. If you have mastered it then it is simple.

Other thing that is bothering me is how should i deliver my demo footage after grading to clients.
Most compressed formats will kill contrast etc. Is there clean way to use "lut" so it would be most appropriate to send digitally
to the clients?

Author Rob Ruffo
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 20 Sep 2013 06:06 
I'm not clear on how to get the Resolve plugin to work, or even what its main purpose is. Is there any documentation on this?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#10 | Posted: 20 Sep 2013 08:34 
Operation is described in the Resolve 10 manual.
It is actually very, very simple.

It's main purpose is to allow Closed Loop display calibration for any display connected to Resolve.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author Margus
ZRO
#11 | Posted: 20 Sep 2013 08:41 
Yes it is simple and it is fast.

You enable network in LS and then you open in Resolve Color menu there is LS integration.

There you state your LS ip number and connect. You assume that LS network was enabled before this step.

Now you control Resolve to generate patterns (colors) on Resolve connected external video monitor.

Calibrate as usually and upload LUT to your LUT box or monitor after calibrating.

It took me about an hour to make 1D+3D 17 step run in closed loop.

Really fast and really neat way to work for me at least.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#12 | Posted: 21 Sep 2013 11:17 
Ok, we have a Beta Version of LightSpace with added patch size controls for the patch output by Resolve when profiling a display...
This is critical for Plasma profiling for example.

This 'should' work as is, depending on the way BMD have integrated the LightSpace Network Manager controls into Resolve.
I am waiting for BMD to test, but as it's a weekend that may not happen for a few days...

So, if any Resolve 10 users want to test this LightSpace version, drop me an e-mail.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author pedroconforti
ZRO
#13 | Posted: 7 Oct 2013 17:05 
Hi,

I read somewhere that monitor calibration LUTs generated with LS and used directly on Resolve were not as accurate if compared to a LUT box sitting between the computer and the monitor. Is that true? I mean, should one expect to see a visible difference?

I am a colorist and currently grading on a Resolve system + Sony PVW 2451, and I am considering buying LS and the i1 probe, but not sure about the need for the LUT box.

On the other hand, I have a Samsung TV next to the sofa that could benefit from a LUT. Clients love to lay on the sofa instead of the chair next to me, and the PVW 2451 narrow viewing angle is quite annoying.

Is there a sales direct email so I can ask a few other questions not related to the thread?

Thanks

Author Steve

INF
Male
#14 | Posted: 7 Oct 2013 17:08 
No, there is no difference at all - not at all sure where you got that info from, but it's not correct.

Please feel free to contact me directly - steve@lightillusion.com

Cheers,

Steve
Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 LightSpace for DaVinci Resolve

Online now: Guests - 3
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0