| Forums | Register | Reply | Polls | Search | Statistics |
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Lg OLED55E9 display calibration

Author Thebird030
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 5 Nov 2019 20:21 
Hi All,

I'm planning to do a calibration on the following Display: Lg OLED55E9 with a i1 Display OEM and Lightspace LTE (thanks to Steve) and the help of the pgenerator as well as Device Control (thanks to Riccardo Biasiotto) via the guide LightSpace and of Displaycalibrations.com (thanks to Ted).

I quickly want to sum up my steps just to be sure not do forget anything stupidly.

1. switch of all unnecessary internal tools of the oled display, including adjustments via service menu
2. do a quick calibration with the pgenerator as a patch generator
3. do a volumetric calibration 23^3 with the pgenerator as a patch generator
4. create 3d lut (rec709 based) and limit the lower black value to 0.03 (as a recommendation for all oleds)
-> Should I limit higher values to 100nits as I'm doing a calibration for SDR or leave the displays maximum measured value
5. do a desaturation of the lower values (15% desaturation) of the created 3d lut
6. upload and store into the internal memory of the display via device control app (no 1d lut upload only the 3d lut to avoid banding)
7. check measurement

Anything important I have missed here or any other recommendations?

thanks and kind regards

Author Thebird030
ZRO
#2 | Posted: 5 Nov 2019 20:49 
Oh I forgot to mention I will late use this display within the following periphery:

Computer running resolve with decklink 4k -> hdmi out connected to hdmi of the display.
In the best case I can setup the project as rec709 gamma 2.2 (for oled) / 2.4 (not sure yet) 10bit, Full Range Levels and display this, as the display should be able to handle this. The footage will be full range as well.

Kind regards

Author ConnecTED
LTE
#3 | Posted: 5 Nov 2019 21:06 
LG's are calibrated better when you send RGB 16-255 patches, as you will usePGenerator which can generate bit-perfect 16-255 RGB patches, configure it to output RGB-Data levels (from it's settings) and from LightSpace, to be able to generate 16-255 patches, you will have to use Patch Scale @ LS Options 16-255.

Before start any profiling check all the TV settings by reading that page: displaycalibrations.com/lg_2018_oled_profiling_using_lightspace.html

If you want 100 nits calibrated for SDR, then the best approach is to skip completely 1D LUT, as we have found that its adding banding and the processing it's applying will make your picture look more 'digital' and with poorer gradation.

You will start by uploading a UNITY 3D LUT table to your TV using the LG Template of DeviceControl Interface.

While you playback SDR content enable calibration from Device Control, press to restore calibration values and then RESET 3D LUT of you TV. Then disable calibration and go to perform the pre-cal.

For pre-cal set gamma of LG menu to 2.2 (which is the bypass) and then use contrast/brightness patterns from that HDMI input you are using. Set contrast/brightness to the values it will be better for your setup.

Use LightSpace and calibration interface to precal 109% White only, set sliders to 255.255.255 and display a 10% window.....go to service menu and select Cool color temp.....set RGB-High to 192.192.192 (to have max panel dynamic range) and then calibrate RGB balance (reduce 2 channels, keep one channel to 192) to fix RGB balance, while adjusting OLED light you will need to have calibrated 123 nits.

You need 123 nits because you measure 109%, so your 100% White will have 100 nits after the profiling (for 2.4 gamma)

After that you will move to 3D LUT profiling measurements.

For the meter setting will use extra delay 0.5 sec, Stabilization of black frame 0.35 sec.

Drift Comp 100 if you will use 21-Point Cube or Drift Comp 50 if you will use 17-Point Cube.

10% Window sized patches.

i1Display PRO AIO mode with 0.75 sec integration time.

Intelligent integrator 1

Disable low light average.

For pre-roll, select the patchset with 1000 patches and set 2 sec. (export a 10-Point Cube patch-list to excel file from inside LightSpace and then browse that file as pre-roll)....but you can skip pre-roll as LightSpace's drift algorithm works well even without pre-roll.

When you calibrate always have DeviceControl 'enable calibration' un-ticked.

Enable it only when you want to reset 3D LUT or when you want to upload a 3D LUT file.

After the profiling, generate colorspace conversion using 'Peak Chroma'.

As you used 16-255 patch generation no videoscale filter is required, you will export to 33p device control format, use DeviceControl, enable calibration, upload, disable calibration.

Then verify the results.

Author Thebird030
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 5 Nov 2019 21:25 
Thank you Ted for your detailed answer, I really appreciate

Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Lg OLED55E9 display calibration

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Watch this topic / Get updates by Email
 (?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details when posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 4
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 312 [11 Jun 2021 17:33]
Guests - 312 / Members - 0