| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

How to start HDR calibration on a LED TV with an AppleTV?

Author Matthias
ZRO
Male
#1 | Posted: 10 Dec 2021 21:00 
Hello community,

I am owning a Samsung The Frame, year 2020, with size 43 inch.
I have done a SDR calibration using the PGenerator installed on a RPi3 and ColourSpace of course. All changes have been applied to the Film picture settings, starting with a 100cd/m2 on 100% white with Rec.709 as target gamut. Long story short: Picture is as good as it gets on a LED device.

Now, after hooking up an AppleTV 4K/2021, I noticed that the motion picture "Pirates of the Caribbean - Course of the Black Pearl" inside the Disney+ app looks terrible.Way to dark and milky, not what I have calibrated.
After checking picture settings, my SDR settings were taken, but when adjusting brightness, the Samsung splittend the settings on the same "Film" Profile in a SDR Version and a HDR settings.

So, I am wondering, how can I get good picture quality in HDR mode. What I know so far:

• I can use the Apple TV device for transmitting patterns with LightSpace connect.
  • I can set the AppleTV to permanently display 4K/HDR.
  • I need to set ST.8084 as target gamut / EOTF, correctly?
  • My TVs specification claims max. HDR white (peak value) on 583cd/m2...so I go for a value of 550 nits on white 100% in HDR mode?
  • Afterwards I continue with the grey scale and finally look for the colours, correctly

Thanks for a short confirmation or pointing me into the right direction.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 11 Dec 2021 14:23 
If you have the correct ST2084 colour space as the target, your profile will show the variation from that.
For calibration, I guess that depends on what controls the TV has...

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 How to start HDR calibration on a LED TV with an AppleTV?

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 17 [20 Feb 2022 11:23]
Guests - 16 / Members - 1