I am owning a Samsung The Frame, year 2020, with size 43 inch.
I have done a SDR calibration using the PGenerator installed on a RPi3 and ColourSpace of course. All changes have been applied to the Film picture settings, starting with a 100cd/m2 on 100% white with Rec.709 as target gamut. Long story short: Picture is as good as it gets on a LED device.
Now, after hooking up an AppleTV 4K/2021, I noticed that the motion picture "Pirates of the Caribbean - Course of the Black Pearl" inside the Disney+ app looks terrible.Way to dark and milky, not what I have calibrated.
After checking picture settings, my SDR settings were taken, but when adjusting brightness, the Samsung splittend the settings on the same "Film" Profile in a SDR Version and a HDR settings.
So, I am wondering, how can I get good picture quality in HDR mode. What I know so far:
- I can use the Apple TV device for transmitting patterns with LightSpace connect.
- I can set the AppleTV to permanently display 4K/HDR.
- I need to set ST.8084 as target gamut / EOTF, correctly?
- My TVs specification claims max. HDR white (peak value) on 583cd/m2...so I go for a value of 550 nits on white 100% in HDR mode?
- Afterwards I continue with the grey scale and finally look for the colours, correctly
Thanks for a short confirmation or pointing me into the right direction.