| Forums | Register | Reply | Polls | Search | Statistics |
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Diversified Video Solutions Dolby Vision patterns on disc?

Author spennis
ZRO
Male
#1 | Posted: 26 Feb 2021 23:24 
Hi,

I'm looking to buy the Diversified Video Solutions (DVS) test patterns for HDR10 and Dolby Vision to use for manual calibration, as these are (to my understanding) the only available bit accurate low cost pattern source for HDR10 and Dolby Vision in YCbCr. However, when I tried to display the demo test patterns (stored on a USB) through my Panasonic UB820, the Dolby Vision patterns would not play. I don't know if this is a USB playback issue, or an issue with how the files are encoded in relation to the capabilities of the UB820. To find out, I would like to have a Blu-ray disc with these patterns, but I do not own a Blu-ray writer, and I am not very eager to invest in one if the digital files can't be burnt to a disc that will work in the UB820. AND, when I browse the DVS website, it seems that there is only a Blu-ray for the HDR10 files?

Has anyone had a similar USB playback issue and managed to get the Dolby Vision patterns to work on a burnt Blu-ray disc and/or does anyone know if these is a Dolby Vision disc available for purchase? I've contacted DVS, but unfortunately they do not reply (at least not very quickly...).

Author liberator72
ZRO
Male
#2 | Posted: 27 Feb 2021 19:47 
I assume you may be the same person who was asking over on AVS Forum a week ago in the 2017 LG OLED Dolby Vision calibration thread about calibrating Dolby Vision using CalMAN in combination with a HD Fury device (I say I assume, as your username "spennis" matches)

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/lg-2017-oled-dolby-vision-calibration.2965096/post-60512087

I also noted that you were asking similar questions to the one you have here in the official R.Masciola's UHD Test Patterns thread

https://www.avsforum.com/threads/r-masciolas-hdr-10-uhd-test-patterns.2463698/post-60527172

Although I did personally answer a couple of your questions over there at AVS, as this is the Light Illusion forums, it is not realistic to expect support here for those using an alternative software.

Light Illusion software users can (and will) be provided with a wealth of information regarding everything calibration related when it comes to LG OLED displays, including one-to-one assistance and guidance if required.

But for what it is worth, the Panasonic UB820 does not support Profile 5 Dolby Vision playback via USB. This is a limitation of the player, not the pattern suite.

Author spennis
ZRO
Male
#3 | Posted: 27 Feb 2021 23:21 
I did ask those questions, but I did not get an answer. The reason I post my question here is that the DVS patterns are marketed here (https://www.lightillusion.com/diversified_video_solutions.html), and the text "ColourSpace can be used with a .csv list to match any individual patch from any of the available test patch sequences provided with any HDR-10, HLG, or Dolby Vision DVS disc" suggests that there is a Blu-ray disc with Dolby Vision patterns, but I still do not know if there is. Do you? And, are you saying that the profile 5 .mp4 files can be played on the UB820 if burnt to a Blu-ray disc?

Ps. I do not yet own or use any calibration software. I am still deciding on which one to get, which is easier said than done.

Author liberator72
ZRO
Male
#4 | Posted: 28 Feb 2021 06:49 | Edited by: liberator72 
No, the DVS Dolby Vision test pattern suite is not available on disk, and cannot be burned to disk.

From the official DVS pattern suite user guide:
These test patterns can easily be download and stored onto a flash drive or external hard drive, providing playback on any compatible Dolby Vision enabled display and/or UltraHD Blu-ray player via USB.

The patterns are Profile 5 Dolby Vision (DV on disk is Profile 7). There are other players (such as the Sony UBP-X700) that will allow the files to be played back via its USB port.

Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Diversified Video Solutions Dolby Vision patterns on disc?

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

Watch this topic / Get updates by Email
 (?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details when posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 264 [6 Jun 2020 12:02]
Guests - 264 / Members - 0