| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Can I use just a CR-100?

Author ChadN
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 21 Jan 2024 23:59 
I currently have only OLED or LED LCD TVs. Would it be ok to invest in a CR-100 only and not have a spectrometer? I currently have an i1Pro which has served me well for a long time, but I'd like more accuracy and to be able to calibrate for HDR. Thoughts?

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 22 Jan 2024 08:12 
Do you mean you have an i1D3 tristimulus?
I would suggest getting a decent Spectro, and use to Probe Match the i1D3.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author RollsRoyce
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 22 Jan 2024 13:33 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as a tristimulus colorimeter, the CR-100 still needs a correction/correlation/profile for every display it's used with. You won't be moving away from the use of a spectro.

Author ChadN
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 22 Jan 2024 17:09 
I have an i1Pro RevD spectro

Author RollsRoyce
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 22 Jan 2024 19:03 
Forgive me, but I think your money would be better spent on one of the current I1D3 incarnations. IMHO, you'd be hobbling a CR-100 by profiling it using any I1 Pro.

Author ChadN
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 22 Jan 2024 20:06 
I never considered profiling a 100 with my i1. What I was curious about is given I only need to calibrate OLED and LED based LCD if I needed a spectro in combination with a 100 or if the 100 itself would be sufficient. Doesn't Colourspace provide correction files for TV types/brands?

In the past I've used just my i1 and have only calibrated SDR since it's not really able to do HDR. I've always gotten (and still do) good and consistent results with it for SDR. According to my eyes, anyway.

Author RollsRoyce
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 23 Jan 2024 03:12 
ChadN
AFAIK, Light Illusion only provides correlation/correction files for the I1D3 and its derivatives, not for the CR-100.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 23 Jan 2024 09:42 
The CR-100 cannot use Correlation Files - they are specific to the i1D3.
The CR-100 uses standard FCMM probe match internally, so using ColourSpaces in-built Probe Matching is always recommended.

But as stated above, you would do better with an i1D3 Tristimulus and good Spectro initially.
Then add a good Tristimulus later, when funds allow.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author ChadN
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 23 Jan 2024 15:19 
Thanks so much for the feedback! Much appreciated!

I'm very familiar with SDR calibration and how that works, but want to get my head wrapped around HDR.

If I pick up an i1D3, would the correlation files be enough to use that to do HDR calibrations? I realize they wouldn't be as accurate as matching with a reference Spectro, but would that be sufficient to get me started?

FYI, the OLED I have currently is the LG OLED65B7P. All my other TVs are LED based LCD TVs.

It would be interesting to compare the results with my i1Pro as well. It's been rock solid for me over the years, though not as accurate as one would get with a couple CR units at my disposal.

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Can I use just a CR-100?

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0