DeviceControl is a browser based control program that enables different test images and more to be displayed via the Raspberry Pi PGenerator, as well as managing TV settings and calibration for select TVs, including LG, Sony, and Panasonic, as well as Lumagen LUT boxes.
- ColourSpace compatible
- Multiple TV models
- Free Software
- PGenerator compatible
- LG TV LUT management
DeviceControl is a very powerful program, with many capabilities beyond managing PGenerator, such as the direct control of many TVs such as from Panasonic, LG, and Sony, as well as Lumagen LUT Boxes, and is well worth spending time to understand.
DeviceControl uses different Templates to provide different capabilities and options, with the various Templates accessible via DeviceControl itself.
A key DeviceControl Template enables direct 1D and 3D LUT management, via ColourSpace, of LG WOLEDs, including 2020 BX/CX/GX/WX/ZX, 2019 B9/C9/E9/W9/Z9/R9, 2018 B8/C8/E8/G8/W8, and 2017 B7/C7/E7/G7/W7 models with Technicolor 'Studio' Firmware.
Future developments will add greater capabilities, making DeviceControl a key component for any Home Cinema enthusiast.
- Install the correct DeviceControl version for you PC - 32 bit, or 64 bit
(After installation 'Perl' will be installed, if not already present)
- DeviceControl will then run, showing a CMD window
(Ignore any 'error' message on the first run!)
- Open a Web Browser, and browse to http://localhost:81
DeviceControl is now ready for use.
To re-run DeviceControl at any later time after installation, select DeviceControl form the Programs menu to run the CMD window, and then open a Web Browser, and browse to http://localhost:81.
A new version of DeviceControl can be checked for using the ? option within the main DeviceControl menu.
The Cloud option can then be used to update the various templates a user has access to.
LG LUT Operation
The following is just a basic overview guide. For detailed information please see the displaycalibrations.com website.
- Run DeviceControl form the Programs menu to open a CMD window
- Open a Web Browser, and browse to http://localhost:81 to show DeviceControl within the browser window
- Create a New Device of type Generic Websocket
- Register as a Cloud User
- Select the correct LG Template from within DeviceControl
(If the LG Template is not visible access will need to be requested as below)
- Configure the LG TV for ColourSpace profiling
(Use the standard display pre-calibration setups)
DeviceControl enables direct 1D and 3D LUT management, via ColourSpace, of LG WOLED TVs, include the 2020 BX/CX/GX/WX/ZX, 2019 B9/C9/E9/W9/Z9/R9, 2018 B8/C8/E8/G8/W8, and 2017 B7/C7/E7/G7/W7 models with Technicolor 'Studio' Firmware.
For LG TVs with internal Test Patch Generators (iTPG), DeviceControl can also be used to provided direct patch generation via ColourSpace.
Note: The required LG Template for DeviceControl will need to be requested via displaycalibrations.com. You will need to provide your ColourSpace purchase information to receive access the DeviceControl LG Template.
With the LG TV correctly configured for pre-calibration, ColourSpace can be used as normal for the calibration process, initially for the 1D LUT, followed by the 3D LUT. This is by necessity a two-step process, with the 1D LUT being created first, followed by the 3D LUT.
Due to issues with LG's image processing pipeline it suggested to leave the 1D LUT set to its factory default, and just use the 3D LUT for all calibration.
- If the LG has an iTPG, it can be connected to via DeviceControl
(Note: the iTPG is not bit accurate, and an external TPG should be used for SDR calibration)
- Profile the LG TV with a large volumetric cube based profile sequence
(Ideally, a 21^3 should be used to deal with the non-additive nature of the WOLED display)
- Generate a LUT within ColourSpace and export as a DeviceControl 3D LUT
- Upload the 3D LUT into the LG TV
- If desired, re-profile the LG TV with a Grey Only Large (Augment) Quick Profile
- Add the Augment profile to the 21^3 profile
- Generate a new 3D LUT using the Augmented Data profile
- Export the new 3D LUT, and upload the new 3D LUT into the LG TV
The LG TV should now be calibrated to the best of its inherent capabilities.