BoxIO User Guide
LightSpace CMS can be integrated with the FSI BoxIO LUT Box for accurate Display Profiling, LUT based Calibration and Look Management.
The following instructions are for using LightSpace CMS with the BoxIO LUT Box for profiling and calibration LUT generation.
Operation of the BoxIO LUT Box with LightSpace CMS is comparatively simple, although there are a range of different options and capabilities which must be set correctly if the expected end result is to be attained.
The BoxIO device can operate in 3 modes.
- Mode 1 has a single pipeline with 33^3 3D LUT processing
- Mode 2 has two completely independent pipelines, each with its own 17^3 3D LUT
- Mode 3 is the Test Patch Generator
In all 3 modes the active video range can be specified independently as 64-940, 64-1019, or 4-1019.
In mode 1 you can specify which SDI input is your active source. The output is mirrored on both SDI outputs.
In mode 2 you can independently specify which SDI input is the source to your process pipeline.
The imaging pipeline in both mode 1 & mode 2 is 1D ⇒ 3D ⇒ 1D, and each of the 3 LUTs can have 16 saved values (16 different LUTs).
The 'Options' menu shows and controls the current state of the box and its configuration. The currently selected 1D, 3D and Back 1D LUTs, selected from the drop-down lists within the 'Options' menu, will be loaded when the 'Upload' button on the main Upload menu is pressed. Only the LUTs selected from the main 'Upload' menu will be uploaded (or set to null, if that option is ticked) on upload. Any other LUT can be manually set 'on' or 'off', as required from the 'Options' menu.
A normal operation would be to load 1D+3D LUTs, extracted from the currently active LUT within LightSpace. To do this it is good practice to first upload a NULL cube to ensure the used slots are empty. In this case the Back 1D LUT will not be effected. If desired it can be switched on or off in the options GUI.
The Upload menu is located under 'File/Upload', and contains an 'Options' button to access additional user settings, which must be set as required to ensure the expected end result.
- Connect the BoxIO to the LightSpace PC via the a LAN cable, and start LightSpace CMS.
- Navigate to File/Upload, and select BoxIO from the 'Select the device type' drop-down window.
- Enter the required IP address into the 'IP Address' window (the default is 192.168.1.244, and obviously required that your network is using the same address range).
Before proceeding further, the additional settings and configurations within the 'Options' menu need to be correctly setup. This menu 'reads' the present BoxIO configuration when first connected and accessed, and then allows the various setting to be changed as required.
Note: there are different options available depending on the BoxIO TPG being set on or off, controlled by setting a Calibration Patch 'size'. With the TPG off generic BoxIO configuration settings will be displayed. If the TPG is set on, some of the settings change to display specific TPG options.
(There are also different options for BoxIO vs. BoxIO Lite)
One point to note when using the TPG, the incoming source and BoxIO TPG output frame rates must be set to the same frame rates. If not, the TPG will potentially not function correctly.
- With the TGP off, select the desired Mode, Channel operation, Video Range, SDI Port, and the LUT slots to be used.
- With the TPG set on, select the correct output signal and frame rate.
- Close the 'Options' menu, and continue with the main 'Upload' menu.
- If there is no LUT active within LightSpace the NULL Cube option will be ticked and greyed-out, but is operational.
(As no other LUT is available the ONLY option is the NULL Cube)
- To make sure no LUT is active within the desired BoxIO LUT slot select 'Upload', with the NULL Cube box ticked.
(To clear all the three LUT Slots, the NULL Cube will need to be uploaded to all three slots - 1D+3D, and Back 1D)
- Using the 'Calibration Patches' option select the desired patch size to use for profiling.
- Close the 'Upload' menu.
To use the BoxIO as a Patch Generator navigate to the desired profiling mode - Calibration Interface, or Display Characterisation.
When the patch window is activate (the LightSpace CMS internal floating patch window has been made active by clicking the small colour display box when using Quick Profiling or Manual Measure modes) the output of the BoxIO will mimic the colour displayed, using the patch size pre-set via the 'Upload' window.
Profiling can then be performed as normal, using the probe connected to LightSpace, and with the BoxIO displaying the required patches on the display being profiled.