| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Grading Light Illusion Forums / Grading /  

P3 viewed on rec 709

Author nigelg
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 26 Nov 2014 20:49 
So if you just display a p3 image on a rec 709 monitor what does it actually look like? Is it that some colour extremeties that can't be displayed are represented inaccurately and clipped or does the whole image look wrong? So does it basically look close or basically miles off?

If it looks miles off why is this!

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 26 Nov 2014 20:58 
It will look miles off!

That's because every colour and gamma value will be 'wrong'.
Not just the extremities.
You must remember that you are effectively 'squeezing' all the P3 image colour and gamut into Rec709.

Make sense?

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author Cedric
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 1 Dec 2014 17:06 
Off white point (magenta), everything desaturated, too bright and low contrast, like on a very shitty monitor

Author spy_vs_spy
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 16 Dec 2014 02:09 
Hi Steve,

I had a question about rec709 and P3

If I'm rendering linear exr's and viewing them on monitors that are rec709 can I still go out with in P3 for the DI?

Are these colour spaces baked into these images at any point in the process?

Thanks
-d

Author Steve

INF
Male
#5 | Posted: 16 Dec 2014 04:52 
If you are looking at images on a Rec709 display, and they look correct, you are not rendering Linear anything - you are rendering Gamma Encoded Rec709.
That means the images are Rec709 colour space, with a gamma of approx 2.2.
You can convert them 100% accurately to P3 with a suitable LUT.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author videoman
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 6 Jan 2016 08:37 
Steve:
That's because every colour and gamma value will be 'wrong'.
Not just the extremities.
You must remember that you are effectively 'squeezing' all the P3 image colour and gamut into Rec709.

This makes me wonder. If I am planning to deliver for Broadcast (Rec709), why would I consider shooting Slog3? It seems that much of the color space must be discarded, since the delivery format has no use for it. In a sense I am wasting a good part of the data that I record, because I have no use for it. Am I correct on this? I can see the value of increased bit-depth, but capturing wider gamut seems pointless if you have no possibility of ever displaying it.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#7 | Posted: 6 Jan 2016 09:02 
Most 'Log' formats have nothing to do with increased Gamut.
Log is a Gamma profile, so allows a greater dynamic range to be captured.
When grading you can then select the image detail you want to work with - shadows or highlights.

Having said that, Sony Log formats tend to also allow a wide(er) gamut capture as well - which again allows the colourist to select the actual final colours they want to work with.

So no, I would say you are wrong - it is always a benefit to have 'more' information captured - dynamic range and gamut - to allow better creativity when grading.

Steve
Steve Shaw

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Grading Light Illusion Forums / Grading /
 P3 viewed on rec 709

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0