| Forums | Register | Polls | Search | Statistics |
 (?)  
You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /  

Change in Lumagen patch behaviour from 7.1.6.2475 to 7.1.6.2486

Author jfinnie
ZRO
#1 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 07:14 
I just upgraded and have spent a couple of hours scratching my head as to why the patch generation no longer seems to work as the previous version.

Notably:
1) Triggering patch generation was overriding my screen scaling / positioning setup
2) Patch generator was much slower to display, with an HDMI mode switch happening
3) The uploaded LUT was no longer in circuit for the patches, despite me being set to the correct memory with the correct CMS, and being able to see the effect of the LUT on the screen in real video content.

Bringing up the menu showed that despite being in the correct Memory, the CMS, Style and Resolution were being overridden.

It looks like between these versions the patch behaviour has changed from "Adjustable" to "Adj w/Mode", which means that you must now do Menu -> Other -> Test Pattern -> Test Mode -> and set the desired output mode, CMS and style for test mode.

In my case CMS 0 and Style 0 were set for this option, which happen to be an empty CMS and default style, hence the effect above.

I've noticed though that even setting the Test mode to the same as the current mode doesn't do exactly the same thing. In my case I have the screen shrunk and shifted to the bottom. Under the previous version the test image worked fine - I had black in the unused areas at the top. Now I get dark grey bar in the unused area of screen. I guess this maybe a Lumagen quirk.

The current behaviour is at odds with the doc, and is annoying and will undoubtedly lead to mistakes and head scratching (it would be even worse if it was loading a LUT which was almost right - in my case it was obviously "broken"). Though I guess this might have been done to fix something else (I saw an ABL patch fix went in). I guess either the doc or the behaviour is now incorrect...

http://www.lightillusion.com/lumagen_manual.html
"When connected to LightSpace, the Radiance box is set to 'Adjust' mode, so any LUT active with the Radiance will be applied to the patches generated. This enables any calibration LUT to be verified by re-profiling through the LUT when loaded within the Radiance box."

Author Steve

INF
Male
#2 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 10:00 
Ah - interesting...
We have had to make changes due to the new integration of the Radiance Pro, and HDR operation.
It looks like that has had impact elsewhere.
We'll have a look and see what can be done.

I'll also ask Gordon at Convergent-AV, the UK Lumagen reseller and LightSpace user to have a look.

Steve
Steve Shaw
Mob Boss at Light Illusion

Author gordonF
ZRO
#3 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 10:17 
I have just updated to the latest release from beta one Steve had me testing....i'm doing some testing today on HDR to SDR so will have a look and see if i can replicate this. James, if you send me your config file to gordon at convergent-av.co.uk i'll stick it in to a 2041 i have here to see if there is any difference with it compared to Radiance Pro.

Gordon

Author gordonF
ZRO
#4 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 10:57 
so testing here...so far with latest lightspace and a radiance pro

When you select the radio button to start a profile, (which throws up the next menu asking you to click to continue) there does appear to be a force of hdmi handshaking ( i only think this as the audio drops out during this process on my system, suggesting a new hadnshake with my receiver)

Looking at the TEST MODE setting on the Radiance. The settings in there change to whatever style and cms is being used at time last profile run was done. IE If you use cms 0 for incoming signal type and run a quick profile then check the TEST MODE on Radiance it will say CMS0. If you then change set up of scaler to use CMS5 and do a profile run it will then use CMS 5 (IE the CMS bank in use) so that appears to be normal behavior to me. I will gocheck this with 2041 in a mo

Author gordonF
ZRO
#5 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 10:59 
actually i dont think it is a hdmi handshake as the audio drop out is fractions of a second

Author jfinnie
ZRO
#6 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 12:46 
Sorry guys, I somehow totally failed to set notifications for the thread. I'm out most of the day so can't try anything out until this eve. I've remoted into my PC and uploaded a Radiance 2021 config here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-_YzKUQ1hkzOXlIT2YyNnhqR1E
I did quickly roll back and forward between the SW versions and I definitely see the behaviour follow the SW version.

In my case the HDMI change is definitely the modeswitch. I typically have Ted's disk in the BD player which is 24p, and the default setting for test mode was 1080p60 on my Radiance 2021. To further delay things, I have Style 0 at defaults which means RGB output, so when it was switching into test mode it was going from 1080p24 4:4:4 (I think, might be 4:2:2 in the config snapshot) to 1080p60 RGB video.

The way the previous version worked is much nicer, as it will always use the same CMS which you are uploading to (the current one).

I only worked out what was going on early this morning after a fruitless power cycling session and firmware reload! but I couldn't do anything with Lightspace which would make the test mode settings reflect how the Radiance was configured pre-QP., which is the difference between the SW versions. From what I can see, it is just using the different way of calling the test patches (Adj with mode vs adj), which is now impacted by whatever those settings happen to be.

I don't see any automatic setting of the test mode based on changing memory during a test patch being displayed (I don't think - will need to re-check later). In any case if that were how it is supposed to work then I think that would also be at odds with the docs.

Author jfinnie
ZRO
#7 | Posted: 29 Oct 2016 15:08 
gordonF:
Looking at the TEST MODE setting on the Radiance. The settings in there change to whatever style and cms is being used at time last profile run was done. IE If you use cms 0 for incoming signal type and run a quick profile then check the TEST MODE on Radiance it will say CMS0. If you then change set up of scaler to use CMS5 and do a profile run it will then use CMS 5 (IE the CMS bank in use) so that appears to be normal behavior to me. I will gocheck this with 2041 in a mo

I've just got home, my 2021 doesn't behave like this (latest FW 101601023), so perhaps this is a difference in behaviour between the Pro and non-Pro units. I've just stepped through what I think you've described.

Close Lightspace, turn off Radiance.
Turn On Radiance. Open Lightspace.
Check test mode - it is set to 1080p60 / CMS 0 / Style 0.
Set Radiance to Mem A input 2 ( Bluray player at 1080p24 / CMS1 / Style 1)
Press Menu on Lumagen to confirm the out is set to 1080p24 / CMS1 / Style 1
Enable the test patch generator in Upload dialogue. Close dialogue.
Do a Quick profile.
Observe mode switch to 1080p60 and HDMI re-acquire by TV.
Press Menu on Lumagen to confirm that out is now set to 1080p60 / CMS0 / Style 0
Check test mode - it is still set to 1080p60 / CMS 0 / Style 0.

I did try changing modes while the TPG is active by switching to a different memory - this just cancels the TPG mode, and doesn't affect the test mode setting.

Let me know if there is anything else I can check which may be of use.

It isn't going to hold me up as I can of course set the test mode to reflect what I want to test, or use the previous SW version (now I know this is how it behaves!), but I know I will eventually forget to set the appropriate test mode (probably often, the brain is like Swiss cheese these days).

Author Steve

INF
Male
#8 | Posted: 9 Nov 2016 21:25 
Ok - Gordon has got the the bottom of this...
For the Radiance Pro we did have to make a change, and this means we are now using the "adjustable patterns with mode" option in LightSpace.

We are talking to Lumagen about this requirement for the 'Pro' version, and what it means for older models.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author jfinnie
ZRO
#9 | Posted: 10 Nov 2016 07:49 
Thanks for the update. This keeps catching me out; the Lumagen 2021 doesn't seem to persist the setting for the chosen test mode in the settings, which means I have to remember every time to check the test mode and set it correctly.

I guess if people are only using one CMS and one style (being CMS 0 and Style 0) they won't see the issue as that is what the setting for test mode defaults to.

I find it particularly counter-intuitive as the selection of which CMS will be overwritten is automatic (the current one) - and it makes the whole process of uploading the unity LUT a bit more confusing - and not even strictly necessary anymore as you could leave a unity LUT in a CMS slot.

For now the documentation probably should be updated to reflect that it is necessary to change this setting in the Lumagen, as anyone trying to set up a 2021 with a non-0 CMS / Style is not going to get the right result when they come to profile their LUT.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#10 | Posted: 21 Nov 2016 14:54 
Ok - we will have a new Beta tonight that includes adjustable test patterns with MODE for any Lumagen box, be it Pro or not.
The ability to set info frames etc for pro boxes is ONLY active if the above option is selected and the box is Pro.

This should manage all requirements for Lumagen patch generation.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author jfinnie
ZRO
#11 | Posted: 22 Nov 2016 12:52 
Thanks for the update Steve, I'll try and have a look later.

Author Steve

INF
Male
#12 | Posted: 22 Nov 2016 12:54 
Drop me an e-mail as you will need the 'Beta' version.

Steve
Steve Shaw

Author jfinnie
ZRO
#13 | Posted: 23 Nov 2016 22:27 
The new options work great in the beta; really nice to be able to choose whether to use test mode or not, defaults / option names make perfect sense. Thank you!

You must be logged in to post content on this forum.
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /
 Change in Lumagen patch behaviour from 7.1.6.2475 to 7.1.6.2486

Online now: Guests - 2
Members - 0
Max. ever online: 192 [11 Jan 2023 08:39]
Guests - 192 / Members - 0