Forums

Light Illusion is renowned for the level of support it provides to all its customers, and strives to provide an unmatched level of assistance.

These forums are provided to enable open discussions on all aspects of the Film and TV industry.

| Forums | Register | Reply | Search | Statistics |
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration /

Uploading LUT to Eizo ColorEdge

Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next »  
| 7 Oct 2016 14:21 | #1
Mono
Hello!
I am trying to calibrate our Eizo monitors with Lightspace in combination with a i1D3 OEM, but I am getting very uneven greyscale as a result.
(Steve and a colleague of mine already wrote a few emails about that)
Now it seems the problem is only appearing when the generated LUT is uploaded to the Eizo. When I watch the same LUT just held in Lightspace everything looks fine. We are doing the measurements and uploads via an USB extender - could it be that the extender is somehow messing with the upload? Or does anyone have another explanation for that?

Thanks in advance,
Sönke
| 7 Oct 2016 14:26 | #2
Scene
You will need to post the 'Reports' from profiling with the calibration LUT active within LightSpace, and again when the LUT is uploaded into the Eizo.
But, we NEVER recommend the use of USB extenders!

Steve
| 7 Oct 2016 15:42 | #3
Mono
Here we go!

https://we.tl/Lm5C1UlMPF

I added a report of the precalibration characterisation.
Hope that helps!
| 7 Oct 2016 15:46 | #4
Scene
What size profile are you using?
Better to post the original profile too.
(All the .bcs files for the original profile, and both with the LUT active in LS and Eizo.)

Steve
| 7 Oct 2016 15:56 | #5
Mono
Currently its a cube size of 10. The greyscale problem appears with a size of 21 as well, when uploaded to the Eizo.
The .bcs files:
https://we.tl/JdLtSKsNMe
| 7 Oct 2016 16:07 | #6
Scene
Nope, no help at all.
It really just seems like the LUT is just changing when uploaded!
Can't see how that can be a LightSpace issue, so I'm somewhat at a loss as to what to suggest.
(But, the Delta-E values of the greyscale are low in both, so not a major issue based on that.)
It is interesting the Peak Luma drops from 111.67 to 111.01 nits when the LUT is uploaded.
That is very strange, and may the heart of the issue...

But, as I say, I am totally at a loss!

Steve
| 10 Oct 2016 14:25 | #7
Mono
Hey Steve,
I did a few more tests today to exclude some possible error sources.
- replaced the USB cable between PC and monitor - no help
- placed the monitor directly next to the PC, no USB extender or anything - no help
- tried an other Eizo CG243W - no help
- tried an other model Eizo CG246 - slightly better, but still uneven greyscale

I just tried to take photos of the screen to show you the problem. It is definitely not ideal, but you can see the problem.
https://we.tl/CWauVaAB92

Any thoughts?
| 10 Oct 2016 14:31 | #8
Scene
Sound like you need to take this up with Eizo.
It looks like the LUT implementation within the display is causing the issue.
But why you have this, and no-one else, I have no idea!

Steve
| 10 Oct 2016 15:44 | #9
Mono
I will contact Eizo, but I have strong doubts that they can help me.
Another quick test I did - even when I create a new LUT which does not change anything at all and upload it to the monitor, the greyscale gets messed up. When I upload a nullcube everything is fine again...
I will give you a sign when I get any reply from Eizo.
| 10 Oct 2016 16:10 | #10
Scene
Are you sure you are using the correct 'range' setting when uploading - Standard or Extended?
A Bypass LUT, that does nothing, can't alter the greyscale - that is just wrong.
But, a Bypass LUT is not the same as using the 'Null Cube' function, as that re-sets the internal data, it doesn't actually 'upload' a null LUT.

Steve
| 11 Oct 2016 13:42 | #11
Mono
Actually I can't change the range when uploading, "Standard" is selected and the dropdown menu is greyed out.
What do you mean by "that is just wrong"? I know it does not make any sense that the Bypass LUT changes the greyscale, but I can clearly see that it DOES change it.
| 11 Oct 2016 14:03 | #12
Scene
As I say, I think you may need to take this up with Eizo...
There seems to be something wrong that is outside the operation of LightSpace.
What I men by "that is just wrong" is that your results are just wrong, and you probably do need Eizo's support.

With the number of Eizo/LightSpace users it seems weird that this is the only time any issues have been reported.
And seeing a difference when you upload a Bypass LUT is totally wrong!
That really can't happen, if the display was already pre-set to Null, via the Null Cube upload function (the tick box).
Seeing a change when a Bypass LUT is uploaded means the display was not set to Null before the upload.

The 'Standard' box being selected, but greyed-out, just means that display doesn't have that function.
(Not all Eizo displays do...)
But, that will not cause a Bypass LUT to show a difference when uploaded.

Are you sure you are using the Null Cube option to fully re-set the display before you profile?
Obviously, if the display has anything incorrectly set when you profile, uploading the LUT will cause a difference when compared to an Active LUT within LightSpace.

Steve
| 12 Oct 2016 08:39 | #13
Mono
Steve:
As I say, I think you may need to take this up with Eizo...
There seems to be something wrong that is outside the operation of LightSpace.
What I men by "that is just wrong" is that your results are just wrong, and you probably do need Eizo's support.

I wrote already to the Eizo support but I did not receive an answer yet.
| 12 Oct 2016 08:49 | #14
Mono
Steve:
With the number of Eizo/LightSpace users it seems weird that this is the only time any issues have been reported.
And seeing a difference when you upload a Bypass LUT is totally wrong!
That really can't happen, if the display was already pre-set to Null, via the Null Cube upload function (the tick box).
Seeing a change when a Bypass LUT is uploaded means the display was not set to Null before the upload.

It is really weird that only I got this issue. But I really don't know where I could do any mistake in the process.
And it is not only one monitor or one model. We tested different CG243W and a CG246 with similar results.

When I upload a Nullcube the greyscale looks good, when I upload a Nullcube again, nothing changes (as it should). Then I create a new LUT, don't do any changes to it and upload it to the monitor and the greyscale is messed up. So all possible probe issues and profilesettings are excluded in this test and still it does not work. I don't see where I could do a mistake there.
Do you have a similar Eizo model at hand to test the process yourself?
| 12 Oct 2016 08:56 | Edited by: Steve | #15
Scene
We have tested many Eizo displays, and have never seen any such issues... and no other users have ever reported anything like this.
(We have a CG246 here at the moment, and it seems to works exactly as it should...)

The real issue is how a Bypass LUT, which has no colour conversion data within it, could ever change any colour info - it is just not possible in any normal situation.

We are at a loss...

(But, we will run more tests!)

Steve
Page  Page 1 of 3:  1  2  3  Next » 
Display Calibration Light Illusion Forums / Display Calibration / Uploading LUT to Eizo ColorEdge Top
Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

(?)
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

Online now: Guests - 1
Members - 0
Most users ever online: 411 [17 Mar 2015 10:47]
Guests - 411 / Members - 0

© Light Illusion - All right reserved